Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Buying 2 extra screens and an SSD

I want to go triple screen and I need good suggestions for monitors.

I have a Dell U2412 24 inch already.

Should I go 24 x 3 or buy 2 more 27 inchers? Or would that not work for gaming?

Also I want an SSD, not an expensive one but more around the 100 euro mark.

Budget is 500 euro for the 2 monitors and an SSD.

Here is the monitor department from the website I am going to buy from:

http://www.informatique.nl/?M=USL&G=082

And here the SSD one:

http://www.informatique.nl/?M=USL&G=559

Deleted
    I'm using 3x BenQ 2420T, 24" 120hz, 5760x1080. Great screens but quite expensive.
    You should aim to match all 3 screens if you want to run in a single resolution using Nvidia Surround or AMD Eyefinity.
    Also think about your Graphics Cards - if you want to game in Surround/Eyefinity you'll might need an upgrade there too.
    The GPU processing demand goes up practically exponentially as you increase resolution.
    To run the latest most demanding games with High quality and good framerates at these resolutions you'll need at least 680 SLI, 690 SLI or TITAN SLI for the best results (think about what you want to achieve with your 3 screens to avoid disappointment!)
    Last edited by mmocabe77c30e6; 2013-04-06 at 06:00 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatie12 View Post
    I'm using 3x BenQ 2420T, 24" 120hz, 5760x1080. Great screens but quite expensive.
    You should aim to match all 3 screens if you want to run in a single resolution using Nvidia Surround or AMD Eyefinity.
    Also think about your Graphics Cards - if you want to game in Surround/Eyefinity you'll might need an upgrade there too.
    The GPU processing demand goes up practically exponentially as you increase resolution.
    To run the latest most demanding games with High quality and good framerates at these resolutions you'll need at least 680 SLI, 690 SLI or TITAN SLI for the best results (think about what you want to achieve with your 3 screens to avoid disappointment!)
    Do not worry, I only aim to play WoW.

I have a HD 7870.

Deleted
    http://www.amd.com/us/products/techn...es/set-up.aspx
    Is that useful?

Edit: It seems your card supports Eyefinity with up to 6 screens according to the specifications, so you could do a 3-screen landscape setup. I think you just need to make sure you have the same screens otherwise there's a good chance it won't go into Eyefinity mode.
    Last edited by mmocabe77c30e6; 2013-04-06 at 06:14 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatie12 View Post
    Not really. :P

Unless things have changed I believe you can only run WoW in Eyefinity under DX9. Blizz does not support it really and I believe they've stated they really have no intention to as only a very very small percentage of the player base runs the game in a 3 monitor set up. It's just a low priority for them. I'd certainly keep that in mind before investing the money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by constantduty View Post
    Unless things have changed I believe you can only run WoW in Eyefinity under DX9. Blizz does not support it really and I believe they've stated they really have no intention to as only a very very small percentage of the player base runs the game in a 3 monitor set up. It's just a low priority for them. I'd certainly keep that in mind before investing the money.
    I don't have any problems running it in DX11 on my Nvidia Surround setup, I'd be surprised if that was the case with Eyefinity but I've never used it so can't comment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananarepublic View Post

I have a HD 7870.
    I wouldn't recommend running Eyefinity for WoW. It doesn't really provide any extra immersion, and with that card, while it's a good card, won't play WoW very well at 5760x1080.

Also, WoW in DX11 doesn't support Eyefinity unless they fixed that issue recently but i doubt this. Which only compounds the above observation.

I think you can run eyefinity in DX11 in windowed full screen? But of course this reduces performance a little.

Deleted
    Here's how I run WoW on my Surround setup:

WoW is just running in a DX11 Window which I drag to the middle of the desktop. There's room either side for web browser, other applications, etc.
    Of course in Surround mode it's one single desktop area, so you can drag windows wherever you want, it's entirely seamless.

I'm assuming Eyefinity is the same but as I said, I've never used it so you'll need to check that!

Unfortunately, eyefinity isn't the same from what I've read. The official forums have some complaints about the lack of DX11 support with Blue Posts in response stating that fixing the issue isn't a priority for them. Windowed Mode + a 7870 working to keep up with that resolution may not give you the performance you're looking for. Would just be a shame to spend the extra $$$ only to be disappointed.

Deleted
    Why are you dead set on using that shop if I may ask?

They seem a bit.. pricy, compared to the shops I use in the Netherlands. Most screens are a good 30-40 euros more expensive. Try using the Tweakers Pricewatch if you're willing to switch shop. Might be able to squeeze a bigger SSD in there with the savings!

I have a HD 7870.
    I remember reading awhile back about people getting poor frame rates with 5760x1080 in WoW. I think the increased FOV punishes the CPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    I remember reading awhile back about people getting poor frame rates with 5760x1080 in WoW. I think the increased FOV punishes the CPU.
    Increased FoV will slightly increase CPU load, yes. generally not an issue in open world but can be noticed in raids.

But to be honest it doesn't matter much because i doubt his 7870 can run 5760x1080 in windowed mode very well from the get-go.

Deleted
    So it won't be a good idea to run that?

Might as well get a better video card then?

10+ Year Old Account
    So it won't be a good idea to run that?

Might as well get a better video card then?
    If you intend to run 5760x1080, you're going to want a new card. A 7970/670/680 should all be sufficient for playable framerates in WoW at that resolution. But for most other games you're going to want SLI. WoW should be playable without AA though, on a single card. Maybe even with AA, but to be honest AA gets less and less needed the higher resolution you have.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    If you intend to run 5760x1080, you're going to want a new card. A 7970/670/680 should all be sufficient for playable framerates in WoW at that resolution. But for most other games you're going to want SLI. WoW should be playable without AA though, on a single card. Maybe even with AA, but to be honest AA gets less and less needed the higher resolution you have.
    Hmm alright.

Well that sucks, I was looking forward to playing in Eyefinity on 3 screens...

Oh well.

---------- Post added 2013-04-06 at 11:12 PM ----------

Let's say I up my budget to 700.

I could buy a 7970 and 2 new monitors.

If you're going to get a new video card to pull off the 3 monitor set up it might be best to just go with a 670 for WoW. Considering that Surround works a bit better than Eyefinity (DX11 Issues and all).

Deleted
    But considering what some dude in the thread said:

A GTX 670 is better than a HD7870?...Shouldn't I just buy a HD790?(well except for the whole Eyefinity issue)

I did not know that.

I will do that then and buy 2 extra screens. Forget the SSD, that can wait.

Now this is just my personal opinion so take it with a grain of salt, but running eyefinity or surround just seems silly in an MMO. You still want to keep everything you need to see right on the center screen around where you are looking or you'll be having to turn your head a lot to see everything. I once tried playing on a 32" TV even that was too big and really really annoying to play on. I'll admit, the first time I saw a triple screen setup it looked cool and I went, "Wow, I want that." It faded quick after trying it out on my TV. There is a reason the vast majority(95+%) of gamers do not use it, and cost is only a part of the reason. However, if you want to throw money at the choice is yours.

The one thing I will say is you want 3 identical monitors, down to the model number, or you will potentially have issues. So, buy 2 more of whatever you already have, not 2 of some other brand.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Now this is just my personal opinion so take it with a grain of salt, but running eyefinity or surround just seems silly in an MMO. You still want to keep everything you need to see right on the center screen around where you are looking or you'll be having to turn your head a lot to see everything. I once tried playing on a 32" TV even that was too big and really really annoying to play on. I'll admit, the first time I saw a triple screen setup it looked cool and I went, "Wow, I want that." It faded quick after trying it out on my TV. There is a reason the vast majority(95+%) of gamers do not use it, and cost is only a part of the reason. However, if you want to throw money at the choice is yours.

The one thing I will say is you want 3 identical monitors, down to the model number, or you will potentially have issues. So, buy 2 more of whatever you already have, not 2 of some other brand.
    Hmm well the identical monitor thing isn't going to work, too expensive.