Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    -RvR based. Limited PvE, to the point of it being considered siege only.
    Ouchie, that almost instantly removes any hope of me playing this. I hope it well, as games like this are always interesting to watch. Doubt it will though, best of luck to the developers.

Quote Originally Posted by Vervacious View Post
    Nice suggestion, Crowe. Why don't we just let this one die and start a new thread called "[Megathread] Camelot Unchained Development" or something.
    We might just continue with this thread for now until an official name is chosen. That's only if the renaming happens relatively soon (or at all - I like the CU name personally) of course.

Any word on CU?
    I'm still thinking about it...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuqui-tuqui View Post
    Any word on CU?
    I wouldn't expect much this early. They've still got a hell of a lot of work ahead of them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuqui-tuqui View Post
    Any word on CU?
    They've show off some concept art for their races and how they are putting their own twist o established fantasy. The art style is rather abstract but suits the game and setting.

On the management side I think they recently completed their recruitment process, so the team they have no should be able start all-out production.

Engine wise we've run multiple networking tests using an improvised mini-game called Smackhammer. The goal here was to get the game running as lag-free and fluent as possible, while minimizing bandwidth usage. The results thus far have been encouraging, but not ground-breaking. Bandwidth usage was reduced significantly throughout the tests but I don't think the latency was really improved.

As for actual game-design, there has been very little word on that. They did mention the similarities between EQ: Next and CU building system and how it will be an integral part of the game, but nothing tangible was actually said except that CU will probably be using a voxel-based engine as well for the building component.

In total, while you can tell that things are moving forward none of the developers are really very communicative about the actual game-design. There has been very little official talk about actual mechanics or even basic attitudes about certain things.

Coolio! Thank you guys!
    I'm still thinking about it...

I think I am not the only one who started playing uthgards freeshard in anticipation of camelot unchained.
    the server is pretty much alive and has everything that really got me hooked to daoc.

a few points that I missed ever since I left daoc (because of buffbots, that btw don't exist on uthgard)

1. uthgard camelot herald. the rvr is constantly shifting and you'll see the status of the war. very nice if you've participated in a battle and needed to go to bed early, you could check next thing in the morning who won. It had a very "persistent world touch" here because you can actually see things happening while @ work.

2. grouping is king. while in new mmo's solo is king, daoc grouping will provide that much more experience and loot that you will want to group, no group finder needed, groups are what nearly everyone wants. staying and camp pulling mobs there has a social touch that new mmo's do not provide anymore (just think of how many group finder groups, your comrades dont even say hello or bye, its just that antisocial).

3. darkness falls, directly linked to rvr activity on your realm. your realm owns the most keeps (shifting constantly) darkness falls will open for you and will provide a very sought after group leveling alternative. that brings me to.

4. non instanced dungeons. of course an exclusive instance has benefits, but it comes at a high price. the game does not feel like an mmo in an instance anymore. so when you group pull at spots in darkness falls loads of things can happen.
    - other players groups pulling too much and either yell for help of run though your group with mobs following them. usually you help because dying means running back in from your bindpoint (might not be possible if darkness falls entrance has shifted)
    - darkness falls related, stealthers from other realms could pop up and either kill you or might even ignore you because you are an unworthy foe (grey killing goes against an honor codex a lot of people play by) or they kill you, or raid groups run over you stomping you into the ground.

my first night in df 2 of these things happened. loads of other people needing help, and high con stealther stealthed though us but ignored us (although they could easily have killed us).

5. sense of accomplishment. leveling your toon is that much harder. you have a death penalty in place that will deduct experience from you and you will respawn at your bindpoint upon releasing. in addition to that you have a small coin penalty. leveling also takes that much longer, that simply gaining a level gives you the feeling you have accomplished something.

I totally enjoy uthgard at the moment. old school frontiers are a plus of course.
    it also made something clear. for me its not nostalgia I really still like it alot and it makes me think that the modern mmorpg don't even deserve the name. (including wow)
    Last edited by dukem; 2013-08-12 at 11:10 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    I hope this gets funded. I don't even play MMO's anymore because it's mostly just instanced PvP, or world PvP like in GW2 that falls short of what DAOC did.

To me, 3 realm RvR, with zero instanced PvP is the only way to go. And that's exactly what Camelot Unchained is doing
    DAoC had arenas as well - that's where they kind of come from originally

Excited for Camelot Unchained

I very much expect that next-gen I'll be subscribed to EQN and CU - EQN for PvE, CU for PvP No compromise for PvE/PvP in the other? That's the way to fix the WoW problem
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Camelot Unchained

Does anyone know how to get into this alpha or beta? I'm playing Eldevin right now which is pretty sweet but I would really like to get into Camelot Unchained. Thanks!

Currently Playing: Eldevin

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    Does donating now get you into the alpha/beta or is that over?

Currently Playing: Eldevin

Quote Originally Posted by plat0nic View Post
    Does donating now get you into the alpha/beta or is that over?
    Depends on the pledge levels you can get alpha or several levels of beta, check out the chart all the way at the bottom of this page:

http://camelotunchained.com/en/builders-tiers/

Alpha doesn't start until August 2014, Beta not until 2015. You have to spend in the $200 range to get into Alpha.

Deleted
    How are things going with this game?

As usual with kickstarted games.
    The developers pretend to work on the game, and post some pictures and tech-speak gibberish each week.
    The backers pretend they've not been scammed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    As usual with kickstarted games.
    The developers pretend to work on the game, and post some pictures and tech-speak gibberish each week.
    The backers pretend they've not been scammed.
    Seems like I haven't been on mmo champion for a while, came back and found your reply :P
    Anyway, unfortunately that is what I expected of it, a shame though because mmo market is so stale these days :/