Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Super long boot times. HELP.

So I post fine, but on the windows logo I'll be stuck here for 2-3 minutes. It is RIDICULOUS. I did a fresh install of windows and even on the first boot in it still took 2-3 minutes at the windows logo screen. So I'm at a complete loss for what could be causing this.

AHCI is enabled. I've updated all my drivers (pretty sure anyway)

I have an Asus P8P67 Deluxe with an intel 2600K processor. Boot drive is an intel 520 series SSD.

I don't guess i can attach my event log file, so this seems to be one of the larger delays

This device took longer to initialize, resulting in a performance degradation in the system start up process:
    File Name : PCIIDE\IDEChannel\4&15ad2e1c&0&4
    Friendly Name : IDE Channel
    Version :
    Total Time : 40023ms
    Degradation Time : 37523ms
    Last edited by Artunias; 2013-04-08 at 01:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Out of curiousity, have you run a fitness test on the drive?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I have not, is there a certain one you would recommend?

Give Crystal Disk Info a try, and check the SMART report. Give this Disk Speed test a run as well, and post what it says.

I haven't run the Crystal one yet, but on the Roadkills disk speed it doesn't recognize any of my drives to test? So...whatever that means.

My boot drive is an Intel 520 series SSD.
    Last edited by Artunias; 2013-04-08 at 01:00 PM.

Is your motherboard of the B3 stepping? Early P67 chipset had issues with the SATA controller.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

I was an early adopter, but I got a replacement board due to that whole shenanigans. I'm not sure if that's the B3 version or if they revised it again. Is there an easy way to check?

Quote Originally Posted by Artunias View Post
    I was an early adopter, but I got a replacement board due to that whole shenanigans. I'm not sure if that's the B3 version or if they revised it again. Is there an easy way to check?
    That should be the B3 stepping so that won't be a problem. Can you run ATTO to check the speed of your SSD?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Well, I seem to be derping at the moment. Can't post the screenshot. But at the larger test sizes it hits the full 500-550 read/write speeds. I don't think it's a speed problem. Once I'm loaded in everything is blazing fast, it's specifically in the startup process something is getting bogged down.

Are you running AHCI mode? Have you tried switching SATA port?

Is it windows 7 or 8?

Sounds like one of your drivers isn't working properly, even though you've reinstalled. Might be some outdated hardware/software, and it just waits for it to timeout on the loadscreen, before going in.
    Not sure about it though.. just.. guessing. Not using windows that much anymore.
    Should be easy enough to see if that could be a problem.
    Tried to see if everything is shown as working, in the system manager?
    If not, get it all to work. If something refuse to do so, look it up and see if that could cause the problem ^^
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

I am in AHCI mode, and I did switch the ports around while I was messing around with it. More by accident really, but same results with different ports. Running windows 7.

---------- Post added 2013-04-08 at 09:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Terridon View Post
    Sounds like one of your drivers isn't working properly, even though you've reinstalled. Might be some outdated hardware/software, and it just waits for it to timeout on the loadscreen, before going in.
    Not sure about it though.. just.. guessing. Not using windows that much anymore.
    Should be easy enough to see if that could be a problem.
    Tried to see if everything is shown as working, in the system manager?
    If not, get it all to work. If something refuse to do so, look it up and see if that could cause the problem ^^
    I figured it has to be a driver as well, I updated a few of them, no improvements. Couldn't figure out how to try and discern which was the real culprit.

1.) Update your Bios
    2.) Update the firmware on your SSD
    3.) Disable on startup using msconfig
    4.) Run a SFC scan corrupted operating system files can cause these issues. Start in the search box type RUN ( DO NOT HIT ENTER) Right click on the run cmd that shows up and choose run as admin and type SFC /SCANNOW this will check the integrity of your OS files.
    5.) There are several AV programs like AVG that can cause system hangs even after uninstalls have been done I know you said you did a clean install of windows but how long ago ? And if you have uninstalled any old AV programs go to the manufacturer website and get thier uninstall tool kit to clean out all the old files.

Also you can also sometimes troubleshoot the file its hanging on just by loading into safemode and when the text stops scrolling whatever the last file its trying to load can be the hang problem

EX: lets say it gets hung on CLASSPNP.SYS for 2 minutes that is a windows system service and could be corrupted.. Also unplug all USB devices except your keyboard and mouse to eliminate a USB conflict issue.

Quote Originally Posted by dustya View Post
    1.) Update your Bios
    2.) Update the firmware on your SSD
    3.) Disable on startup using msconfig
    4.) Run a SFC scan corrupted operating system files can cause these issues. Start in the search box type RUN ( DO NOT HIT ENTER) Right click on the run cmd that shows up and choose run as admin and type SFC /SCANNOW this will check the integrity of your OS files.
    5.) There are several AV programs like AVG that can cause system hangs even after uninstalls have been done I know you said you did a clean install of windows but how long ago ? And if you have uninstalled any old AV programs go to the manufacturer website and get thier uninstall tool kit to clean out all the old files.

Also you can also sometimes troubleshoot the file its hanging on just by loading into safemode and when the text stops scrolling whatever the last file its trying to load can be the hang problem

EX: lets say it gets hung on CLASSPNP.SYS for 2 minutes that is a windows system service and could be corrupted.. Also unplug all USB devices except your keyboard and mouse to eliminate a USB conflict issue.
    1. Bios updated
    2. Firmware was up to date
    3. No effect
    4. Didn't seem like there were any issues here. As soon as it finished it immediately closed the command prompt area. So I'm just going to assume that means there were no issues?
    5. Norton came with my driver pack, I uninstalled it and I use Bitdefender currently. Also I did the clean windows install yesterday to try and fix this issue. You can see it did not work! lol.

When I booted in safe mode it didn't hang on any of the scrolling files, but on safe mode "splash" screen it hung there for 2-3 minutes just like it does on a normal boot.
    Last edited by Artunias; 2013-04-08 at 05:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm having a very similar problem, just maybe not quite as bad of a load time. I hit the power button and it'll post, which seems to take a little longer than normal, then sits at the windows logo for close to a minute. I don't seem to have any of the same hardware OP listed, build is in sig. If I find a solution I'll post it but currently I have no idea.
    Desktop: Antec Twelve-Hundred v3| ASUS VH236H | i5-3570k @ 4.5 | MSI 660ti PE | AsRock z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill 1866 | Havik 140 | Vertex 3 90gb Boot ssd | Kingston 240gb ssd | 620w Antec | Logitech G500, G510, G930
    Laptop: ASUS U36JC-B2B Tablet: HP Touchpad 16gb | Asus Infinity 32gb
    Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T3i with 18-55mm IS & 75-300mm
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...en/Cc/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Wrestler10307 View Post
    I'm having a very similar problem, just maybe not quite as bad of a load time. I hit the power button and it'll post, which seems to take a little longer than normal, then sits at the windows logo for close to a minute. I don't seem to have any of the same hardware OP listed, build is in sig. If I find a solution I'll post it but currently I have no idea.
    Indeed, I'm pretty much out of ideas. And seems like the boards are about out as well...hah. Hopefully you can discover something!

10+ Year Old Account
    Kind of a long shot, but you could try getting another SSD from a local shop, install windows, see if it works, if it does, the old drive is bad (and under warranty)

Either way, you return the new drive the next day.

Also, a few more troubleshooting questions

1) Did you do a clean install of windows, or an upgrade?
    2) Did you transfer windows from a HDD
    3) Was it on AHCI when you installed the drive and windows, or was it IDE/Auto, and then changed to AHCI?
    4) Have you gotten around to trying CrystalDisk SMART report?
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-04-09 at 06:49 AM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Kind of a long shot, but you could try getting another SSD from a local shop, install windows, see if it works, if it does, the old drive is bad (and under warranty)

Either way, you return the new drive the next day.

Also, a few more troubleshooting questions

1) Did you do a clean install of windows, or an upgrade?
    2) Did you transfer windows from a HDD
    3) Was it on AHCI when you installed the drive and windows, or was it IDE/Auto, and then changed to AHCI?
    4) Have you gotten around to trying CrystalDisk SMART report?
    Clean install, and I did buy a new SSD about a month ago to try and solve this problem. Did a clean install then too. No transfer.
    It's always been on AHCI so I'm going to assume it was then as well.

I'll run that crystal disk thing later today when I get back home.

Deleted
    Not sure if its related but on the P8 boards you should disable the Marvell (Which controls the two Navy Blue SATA connectors topmost on the board) controller and the JMicron controller which handles the E-Sata at the back of the board (In the advanced tab)

They have been known to increase boot times in some cases.