10+ Year Old Account

Tortos Rockfall Question

I have seen some say that the 'splash' damage from Rockfall diminishes the further one gets out from the blue circles, however the Dungeon Journal and the logs I've looked through seem to indicate that this is not true. Is it?

-What is the best way for melee in particular to cut down damage taken from Rockfall splash?

-Is it better to stress getting as far as possible from each blue circle up to the 20 yards where splash is negated or is it better to maximize uptime and just make sure to use defensives and not get hit by any direct Rockfall damage?

-Is there some way to coordinate raid placement to result in less raid damage taken from Rockfall splash damage overall?
    Normal mode.
    Last edited by shokter; 2013-04-11 at 06:26 AM.
    "Brevity is...wit"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shokter View Post
    I have seen some say that the 'splash' damage from Rockfall diminishes the further one gets out from the blue circles, however the Dungeon Journal and the logs I've looked through seem to indicate that this is not true. Is it?
    I've never noticed distance making any difference in my damage taken, but I play a rogue and Feint whenever the rocks within 20 yards of me are about to hit. I've never actually stopped to look and see if distance changed anything since I'm taking little damage anyway.

-What is the best way for melee in particular to cut down damage taken from Rockfall splash?
    Pop some form of short CD defensive and make sure you aren't in the point of impact.

-Is it better to stress getting as far as possible from each blue circle up to the 20 yards where splash is negated or is it better to maximize uptime and just make sure to use defensives and not get hit by any direct Rockfall damage?
    Since I don't believe distance from the point of impact matters just move as necessary and use your personal defensives. The rocks fall pretty fast and it's not very feasible for melee to get the full 20 yards out before they land. Besides, running away from one typically puts you near several more depending on your luck with how they fall so it wouldn't help anything.

-Is there some way to coordinate raid placement to result in less raid damage taken from Rockfall splash damage overall? Normal mode.
    I suppose you can plan ahead for small groups of two or three people (assuming 10-man) to collapse into different parts of the room just prior to Stomp so that the rocks are a little more localized. Otherwise, who the rocks target is completely random as far as I can tell. Sometimes I feel like all the of rocks fall on me, but it's also not completely unusual for me to not see a single rock within 30 yards of myself. My raid doesn't bother with stacking so I personally move a little outside of melee range and hug the wall when Stomp occurs so I can move up towards the boss as rocks target me, that way I cut down on overall splash from any of the rocks that target me.