Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    so you're saying

as long as you are rich and powerful, you could bethe worst bastard there is, you are untouchable? Is that the american way of life?
    Ever heard of "too big to fall"?
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    well, i was sort of hoping that someone would prove me wrong, that there would be some sort of "social justice" in the most powerful country of the world. you don't have ways to protect the weak? you don't have a saying that no one is above the law?

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    well, i was sort of hoping that someone would prove me wrong, that there would be some sort of "social justice" in the most powerful country of the world. you don't have ways to protect the weak? you don't have a saying that no one is above the law?
    We are an imperialist nation with a police state and a political system that gives the illusion of choice.
    Do you really expect us to be the good guys?
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Another year, another round of internet wide anal obliteration.
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I thought Moores response where he tries to make EA look like the hard done to victim taking a moral hiding ground while co-opting the LGBT community as a shield to use was absolutely disgusting and further proves the higher ups at EA are so detached from the real world its just bloody depressing.
    My thoughts exactly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wanted to comment on their website, but I'm afraid my Origin account (that I'm required to have to play games) would be banned for saying something negative. :X

So.. the post was something about wanting to do better, yet the content was just them making excuses? I wasn't told what they could do better..
    "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" - George Carlin

Let's keep politics out of the thread as much as possible please. That line of discussion is for other forums.

"We're sorry we're horrible scumbags." essentially? Hard to take that seriously. I'll wait on them actually doing something.

This is pretty hilarious to read, actually. "This is the same poll that last year judged us as worse than companies responsible for the biggest oil spill in history, the mortgage crisis, and bank bailouts that cost millions of taxpayer dollars."

Gee I wonder why? They mostly dodge the question and blame it on Mass Effect 3.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2013-04-08 at 01:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care for EA as a company, but that letter was pretty damn good. Props for that, if nothing else.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    This is the same poll that last year judged us as worse than companies responsible for the biggest oil spill in history, the mortgage crisis, and bank bailouts that cost millions of taxpayer dollars.

Maybe that's because gaming is a choice. It's what we CHOOSE to spend our money on. That's why people raged against it.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

What a fucking joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, we've been here before with EA's spin doctors.

Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Jim is a giant doucheboat but he's also a pretty good commentator and journalist. And I bet he's actually not nearly the doucheboat he acts like IRL.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Jim is a giant doucheboat but he's also a pretty good commentator and journalist. And I bet he's actually not nearly the doucheboat he acts like IRL.
    Part of it is probably an act but if I exposed myself to as much of the industry's insanity as he does, every week? I would probably behave a lot less "pleasantly" too. Seriously, these companies keep trying to bullshit us. Forgetting that this is the "internet" and their previous behavior is easy to find, for anyone actually willing to look.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2013-04-08 at 02:29 PM.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Gamers vote EA worst company of the year again, and then go back out to pay for their games after. News at 11.

Stay classy, gamers.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    EA are a pretty shit company but if they're the worst company in the entire US, then the majority of what I see on the news or in newspapers is just fabricated lies. Oil spills? Recession? All fake. EA are the devil incarnate!!! >_>

Gamers QQ far more than they actually play these days (not helped by EA's shitty DRM ofc :P) and when they get going, it becomes a mob of whining. Of course they are going to vote for some game company over things that actually affected the damn world! I'll bet half the voters are teens that were sent a link and told to do it ffs.

(Note: I don't blame everything on gamers. EA are one of the worst game publishers right now, arguably THE worst)
    You allude to gamers as being uninformed and prone to mob mentality - yet in your post, you mischaracterize these people by misrepresenting what the poll is about. This poll doesn't pit EA against BP, or other "company(s)...that actually affected the damn world". So you skimmed the EA article, made an assumption and then came in here to spout off with mischaracterization.

The fact of the matter is that YOU are in the wrong here because you can't complete a coherent argument without hate mongering which is EXACTLY WHAT YOU BLAMED GAMERS FOR! Irony!

---------- Post added 2013-04-08 at 05:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Part of it is probably an act but if I exposed myself to as much of the industry's insanity as he does, every week? I would probably behave a lot less "pleasantly" too. Seriously, these companies keep trying to bullshit us. Forgetting that this is the "internet" and their previous behavior is easy to find, for anyone actually willing to look.
    The problem is that there is a team of PR staffers that understand that statistically this response will elicit the best reaction based on user engagement. People don't want to look for problems, and are generally too lazy to take action, even when it directly benefits them. That's why this type of spin works - idiots read it, believe it and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ägallar View Post
    You allude to gamers as being uninformed and prone to mob mentality - yet in your post, you mischaracterize these people by misrepresenting what the poll is about. This poll doesn't pit EA against BP, or other "company(s)...that actually affected the damn world". So you skimmed the EA article, made an assumption and then came in here to spout off with mischaracterization.

The fact of the matter is that YOU are in the wrong here because you can't complete a coherent argument without hate mongering which is EXACTLY WHAT YOU BLAMED GAMERS FOR! Irony!
    Uh but the poll DOES pit EA against other companies affecting the country/world. BoA, Comcast, Sallie Mae, Equifax.. certainly not on the level of BP, but probably far worse than a company who released a game with a shitty ending and DRM people don't like.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    But to be honest... people are being ridiculous.
    This could be used to explain a lot of things, but ESPECIALLY when it comes to hobbies. People are just too serious about stuff that ultimately doesn't matter.

Hopefully people are pushed away from the larger companies in general though. I'd rather see a lot of modestly successful indie developers with their own design (that some people might absolutely hate) than a couple major releases that update graphics over the same game over and over.

I think this will give you an idea about public opinion and EA ...

I'm not a serious gamer. I play WoW and a couple of other games. I don't even want to TRY an EA game because of what I read about them. I wouldn't even want a pirated version either. It isn't about the price.

That says about all you need to know EA. You have a LOT of work to do if you want public trust back.

EA is making themselves look incredibly stupid by even acknowledging this poll means anything.

I would like to see sources on some of the claims made in this letter, especially the claims about people voting against them because of the madden cover or the LGBT thing, would also have to demonstrate that these aren't just some isolated wackos and this is accounting for large numbers of the votes against them.

People hate EA because they are out of touch with their demographic, they don't seem to give two shits about video games as a medium of art or a source of entertainment. They operate solely as a business, putting profit margins and deadlines above quality every. single. time. While I can understand and even respect this position from a business standpoint, obviously the point of a business is to make money. Its killing the video game industry.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.