Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    I'm far more interested in the destructive forces in the universe, like the black hole collision I linked.
    There's a person who stole your avatar.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    Well like I said in a previous post they've surmised that High oxygen content will = life so if they detect a planet with a high oxygen content they'll then focus on that planet
    Plus the James Web telescope is supposed to be able to "directly image capture a planet"
    Not sure how that is going to work but assuming it does, then awesome.

Oh here is something on that
    "NIRCam and MIRI feature starlight-blocking coronagraphs for observation of faint targets such as extrasolar planets "

But yea, don't know if they'll be able to say 100% it has life prior to visiting it but 99% or just 80% is good enough for me right now with actual reaching it being too far away.
    I'm guessing that they're assuming that high levels of oxygen= Photosynthesis? Which is a fair assumption if looking at our on planet as a model for life. But as always I'm skeptical if life on earth really holds as many clues to life in the universe as we assume it does.

Yeah I've heard about that. It's very interesting I have to say. Wonder if that is supposed to run beside Hubble or completely replace it.
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2013-11-11 at 06:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ElyPop View Post
    I mean that what you assume are the interests of 12 year olds are really the interests of the general populace.

+ 14.
    The 12 year old and an adult might share the same interests, but their reactions and actions to that interest could be radically different.

Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    How else would we go about discovering life if not for sending either a probe or a manned ship? As far as I know we can only calculate the likelihood that a planet is harboring life by studying radiation from and/or around a planet. I doubt that any finding in this area would be conclusive enough to prove life.
    Well, if there is technologically advanced life, we've been sending out radio waves, if they pick it up, and they care enough, they may send a response, not necessarily from the same medium. Hell, they might show up at our doorstep. If we never try, we'll never improve our technology, and we'll never find other life, so we have to try, even if it seems fruitless and even if we think we'll only succeed thousands of years in the future. It's still a start.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Usually when people say that they mean not all life will have the same thing to look for as life on earth, which doesn't mean using those keys won't be successful it just means we might declare some planets that have life as planets with no life

That and I think Oxygen is key to life existing in some form, as far as we know it if course. mars has oxygen and no life, but I believe it would not be picked up in the search as it's too small (hence the no life)

- - - Updated - - -

That wouldn't happen Deca, the radio waves we have sent out would be far to tenuated to get picked up, and also hasn't made it very far out there really.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm guessing that they're assuming that high levels of oxygen= Photosynthesis? Which is a fair assumption if looking at our on planet as a model for life. But as always I'm skeptical if life on earth really holds as many clues to life in the universe as we assume it does.

Yeah I've heard about that. It's very interesting I have to say. Wonder if that is supposed to run beside Hubble or completely replace it.
    Life here exists like it does because it works that way. I would imagine that nature would decide that the same designs that work here, would work in other places as well. I would imagine that if we find other life, we'll see striking similarities between life here on Earth and life on that other planet. Not necessarily true, as different planets have different gravities, different atmospheres, elemental makeup, and temperatures, but I feel like we'll see at least some similarities between all life.

- - - Updated - - -

Regardless, our inability as of now to contact or see other life doesn't mean that we should stop searching or that no life exists.

Something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    Well, if there is technologically advanced life, we've been sending out radio waves, if they pick it up, and they care enough, they may send a response, not necessarily from the same medium. Hell, they might show up at our doorstep. If we never try, we'll never improve our technology, and we'll never find other life, so we have to try, even if it seems fruitless and even if we think we'll only succeed thousands of years in the future. It's still a start.
    Yeah better to search in a wide area than to focus on one thing. Although I believe we'll find bacteria and such before advanced life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    I only know Elementary.
    I'm not sure I can ever show affection to you ever again. Go and find Sherlock. Watch it, and then come back to me and tell me how superior it is to Elementary. I'm honestly not saying Elementary is bad in the slightest (I've enjoyed the one or two episodes I've watched), but Sherlock is quite possibly the finest show the BBC has produced in some time.

-+0

Since Ana got beaten.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Such conversation.
    Much intelligent.
    Wow.
    So deep.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    I'm not sure I can ever show affection to you ever again. Go and find Sherlock. Watch it, and then come back to me and tell me how superior it is to Elementary. I'm honestly not saying Elementary is bad in the slightest (I've enjoyed the one or two episodes I've watched), but Sherlock is quite possibly the finest show the BBC has produced in some time.
    I like Sherlock, and I like Elementary. Stop being so ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah better to search in a wide area than to focus on one thing. Although I believe we'll find bacteria and such before advanced life.
    I'm not sure, on the one hand, very small amounts of life likely exist (if there were large amounts, we'd probably already found some) but at the same time, our planet and solar system is young in comparison to the rest of the universe. Plus, if we assume that other lifeforms would be curious about the existence of life as well, they'll seek us out, if they're technologically advanced enough to do so before we are, they'll find us first and thus, we'll find advanced life before bacteria, if they're not, they'd still be sending out signals and shit and we'd be somewhat more drawn to them than bacteria.

- - - Updated - - -

See? We already found life on other planets!

Something.

Quote Originally Posted by hunty View Post
    Such conversation.
    Much intelligent.
    Wow.
    So deep.
    You so doge.
    + 1

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not true either Deca, we've barely looked! The universe could be teeming and we wouldn't know it

But with billions of earth like planets in our galaxy alone, I'd say there is probably quite a lot.

Deleted
    Life here exists like it does because it works that way. I would imagine that nature would decide that the same designs that work here, would work in other places as well. I would imagine that if we find other life, we'll see striking similarities between life here on Earth and life on that other planet. Not necessarily true, as different planets have different gravities, different atmospheres, elemental makeup, and temperatures, but I feel like we'll see at least some similarities between all life.

- - - Updated - - -

Regardless, our inability as of now to contact or see other life doesn't mean that we should stop searching or that no life exists.
    But that's the thing though. Advanced life on earth developed as it did because of oxygen, or more specifically the production of more oxygen by life(bacteria) that already existed here. It's simply an energy source for advanced metabolism on Earth, however there have been shown that multicellular life can exist without oxygen which again means that advanced life can take shape without oxygen, it just needs another energy source, which the universe has plenty of.

That's why I'm skeptical to the whole oxygen=life deal. It may just be an misunderstanding of my chemistry class but still

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    That's not true either Deca, we've barely looked! The universe could be teeming and we wouldn't know it

But with billions of earth like planets in our galaxy alone, I'd say there is probably quite a lot.
    What I mean is there is a small amount of life relative to the amount of lifeless planets/asteroids/whatever. There could be massive amounts of life within the universe, but it doesn't mean that the universe is densely populated. Given the data we have now, we can currently assume that the universe is not dense with life, though it's possible that the areas that we've been able to search have just been "unlucky".

Something.

Deleted
    You people having a super srsface discussion

Deleted

10+ Year Old Account
    But that's the thing though. Advanced life on earth developed as it did because of oxygen, or more specifically the production of more oxygen by life(bacteria) that already existed here. It's simply an energy source for advanced metabolism on Earth, however there have been shown that multicellular life can exist without oxygen which again means that advanced life can take shape without oxygen, it just needs another energy source, which the universe has plenty of.

That's why I'm skeptical to the whole oxygen=life deal. It may just be an misunderstanding of my chemistry class but still
    Oxygen doesn't necessarily mean life, and lack of oxygen doesn't necessarily mean there is no life, but given that we KNOW oxygen is the best building agent for living things, we can safely say that the likelihood of a living thing being based on oxygen is higher than on any other element. It's also possible that we just don't have enough information and just can't comprehend the type of life that would be more prevalent throughout the universe with our current knowledge. However, I'm basing my statements on what we know NOW. What we know later might entirely change based on what we find. Hell, it's possible that we'll find life based on oxygen is rare and obscure compared to what the rest of the universe lives like.

Something.

Deleted
    Oxygen doesn't necessarily mean life, and lack of oxygen doesn't necessarily mean there is no life, but given that we KNOW oxygen is the best building agent for living things, we can safely say that the likelihood of a living thing being based on oxygen is higher than on any other element. It's also possible that we just don't have enough information and just can't comprehend the type of life that would be more prevalent throughout the universe with our current knowledge. However, I'm basing my statements on what we know NOW. What we know later might entirely change based on what we find. Hell, it's possible that we'll find life based on oxygen is rare and obscure compared to what the rest of the universe lives like.
    Exactly, it's assumptions. I bet that we'll accidentally stumble upon life long before we intentionally discovery it just because of that.

Carbon is actually the main ingredient in life things. There were a couple of elements that were required for life as we know it but I kinda forgot... Like Oxygen, Carbon, Nitrogen and Hydrogen. Probs a bit more.