Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Well what do you do? How to you address the issue?
    well theres not really a good sollution.

you could go the route of not asking race/gender at all in applications, but this will favour white people still as they tend to come from more privalaged backgrounds compared to minorities and thus will appear more suited to what they are applying for, obviously not always but a majority of the time.

or you can have quotes, which then has the issue of just taking on people because of their race / gender to fill the quota rather than because they are more suited. neither are really ideal.

maybe anyone has a 3rd option, i dont know.

Deleted
    How dare they be in chess and math club!

This obviously shows their lack of interest in minorities.

Wait what?

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    You try to say I'm putting words in your mouth when I characterize your position as, "It's OK to discriminate against the majority" - when that's exactly what you're doing right here.

---------- Post added 2013-04-18 at 11:26 PM ----------

I think what I would try to do is target more outreach to give additional attention to girls and minority children at the LOWEST level of education, rather than at the higher level of education say, "Ok, we need X number of white males, Y number of white females, Q number of K minority..." because I think that's probably the WORST way to do it.

That also includes, "We can't have another boy's basketball team, because we don't have enough female sports teams at our school, and we will get sued." That's also not acceptable to me. (even though I don't particularly like or participate in sports)
    Whites just happen to be the majority.

The question is how do you address the issue of higher education for minorities? The economics of many of those households isn't the best which doesn't make the best outcome.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love how she is racist even against minorities in her post when she excludes people for being in the Math and Chess clubs as clearly Math and Chess are no place for minorities.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

its fun watching everyone jump to conclusions in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    well theres not really a good sollution.

you could go the route of not asking race/gender at all in applications, but this will favour white people still as they tend to come from more privalaged backgrounds compared to minorities and thus will appear more suited to what they are applying for, obviously not always but a majority of the time.

or you can have quotes, which then has the issue of just taking on people because of their race / gender to fill the quota rather than because they are more suited. neither are really ideal.

maybe anyone has a 3rd option, i dont know.
    Idk why people say that they're not suited this isn't what's coming across from the people doing the hiring. For instance x company needs to be diverse so they go out and try to hire a minority or woman if they lack women, they will also interview white men though for the same position. In the end the best person suited for the job still gets it and there isn't much complaining from the companies that do the actual hiring about performance, it's other people like co-workers or people with a political issue.

They don't just take on people because of race. There was a link on this forum a while ago from the colleges site where after getting rid of AA their acceptances became mostly white, they even turned down 4.0 minority students in favour of whites and there was a clear disproportion.

---------- Post added 2013-04-18 at 07:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    I love how she is racist even against minorities in her post when she excludes people for being in the Math and Chess clubs as clearly Math and Chess are no place for minorities.
    This i a fake story. This woman's blog isn't racist or sexist, this woman also isn't even at Georgetown she's in Madagascar in the peace corp teaching English.

Deleted
    Idk why people say that they're not suited this isn't what's coming across from the people doing the hiring. For instance x company needs to be diverse so they go out and try to hire a minority or woman if they lack women, they will also interview white men though for the same position. In the end the best person suited for the job still gets it and there isn't much complaining from the companies that do the actual hiring about performance, it's other people like co-workers or people with a political issue.

They don't just take on people because of race. There was a link on this forum a while ago from the colleges site where after getting rid of AA their acceptances became mostly white, they even turned down 4.0 minority students in favour of whites and there was a clear disproportion.

are we talking education here or jobs? for education i agree.

but for jobs in places with very low levels of immigrants quotas can be a problem, i wasn't really sure if we was talking about addmissions into college or job applications here, so i do apologize.

for higher education applications quotas are probably the best option, in certain courses anyway. certain courses attract a mainly male audience and will naturally havea higher % of male students compared to female and vice versa.

---------- Post added 2013-04-19 at 12:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    its fun watching everyone jump to conclusions in this thread

not everyone did, some people questioned it right away, others just jumped in hating this woman.

This i a fake story. This woman's blog isn't racist or sexist, this woman also isn't even at Georgetown she's in Madagascar in the peace corp teaching English.
    There's a law firm that has a tendency to hire mostly women, especially jewish women, they need to diversify and they know it but no one has said anything yet; however, they still try to hire a minority or male lawyer during their interviews, they just don't make it to get the job for some reason.

The question is how do you address the issue of higher education for minorities? The economics of many of those households isn't the best which doesn't make the best outcome.
    I already answered this, you have to fix it at the lower level of education. You give them extra attention and outreach which is already available at most schools - they already offer extra tutoring year-round, even in my old high school, that very rarely was taken advantage of. You do not suddenly decide that at the college level, less qualified people deserve more chances here. Nor in the workplace. Also, in a capitalist system, businesses who choose not to hire higher qualified minorities naturally hurt themselves, and I feel like that problem works itself out. If business A does not hire black people, and business B hires those higher quality workers, business B succeeds more.

You work on improving the minorities standards when they reach college, not lower the standards for them. That should be insulting to them as much as it is to me. "We know you aren't as smart as white males, so we're going to let you in anyway." That's really what you're saying.

You're also saying the problem they face is growing up in a 'worse' environment, which is true - so it should be 'fixed' at the beginning, not shoehorned in at the college level.
    Last edited by Daerio; 2013-04-18 at 11:44 PM.

Deleted

well someone somewhere is possibly doing this, but im pretty certain its not her, her real blog sounds nothing like what shes being portrayed as. also the feminism blog could also just be a load of bS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    There needs to be more diversity in positions of power... Not arbitrarily forced in like this person is doing
    Yet, that is the problem, that's exactly what's happening. In my country there was some fuss about a new position of police chief opening up, but white males couldn't apply, only women or minorities. Or what about the EU women quota forcing big companies to hire a lot of women?

These examples are the very definition of discrimination, ironically.

I already answered this, you have to fix it at the lower level of education. You give them extra attention and outreach which is already available at most schools - they already offer extra tutoring year-round, even in my old high school, that very rarely was taken advantage of. You do not suddenly decide that at the college level, less qualified people deserve more chances here. Nor in the workplace. Also, in a capitalist system, businesses who choose not to hire higher qualified minorities naturally hurt themselves, and I feel like that problem works itself out. If business A does not hire black people, and business B hires those higher quality workers, business B succeeds more.

You work on improving the minorities standards when they reach college, not lower the standards for them. That should be insulting to them as much as it is to me. "We know you aren't as smart as white males, so we're going to let you in anyway." That's really what you're saying.
    You know gays are included in AA too so are gays in say banking (i think it was chase who was wanting to hire gays) less qualified? There's a reason gays are less likely to be hired over straight people and it's a similar reason for quite a few minorities.

This whole "Less qualified" thing is just utter bs honestly.

---------- Post added 2013-04-18 at 07:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Yet, that is the problem, that's exactly what's happening. In my country there was some fuss about a new position of police chief opening up, but white males couldn't apply, only women or minorities. Or what about the EU women quota forcing big companies to hire a lot of women?

These examples are the very definition of discrimination, ironically.
    if x company has a track record of hiring 95% white males, is it so bad if someone says "okay that's it time to hire minorites and women"

You know gays are included in AA too so are gays in say banking (i think it was chase who was wanting to hire gays) less qualified? There's a reason gays are less likely to be hired over straight people and it's a similar reason for quite a few minorities.

This whole "Less qualified" thing is just utter bs honestly.
    So you're saying it's impossible for somebody to be less qualified than somebody else, ignoring gender and race? Well, that sounds like BS to me.

The site this comes from isn't exactly reputable. And there is no evidence that she wrote it.

So you're saying it's impossible for somebody to be less qualified than somebody else, ignoring gender and race? Well, that sounds like BS to me.
    That's not what I said, stop being foolish. I said stop assuming AA = not qualified, as you are saying.

you know, normally I'm alright with feminists, I think they've got a long way to go and that they're climbing that mountain as best they can. The militant ones can go eat a dick, though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by grimsanta View Post
    The site this comes from isn't exactly reputable. And there is no evidence that she wrote it.

yeah its basically been pointed out it wasn't her in this thread. shes not been in the US for the last year or so, shes in Africa teaching English

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixie View Post
    White males complaining about being discriminated. Who cares. Go somewhere else, like the 99% of other universities that will accept them in a heartbeat. Their inherent privilege still trumps everyone else for centuries and continuing.
    It's reverse discrimination. I'm all for equality and feminism in general but this is not the answer.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I have no problem having the economic position of the college applicant getting used as a factor in determining acceptance because poor white kids do suffer from the same obstacles as a poor black kid, but no way should they use race, religion, nationality, sex, political ideology, and or sexual preference as a factor in determining acceptance

10+ Year Old Account
    Here in England we have something similar going on with our police service. The higher ups and quite possibly some MP's want more minority police officers and in doing so have actually turned away white candidates, stating they 'did not meet the required criteria'.

Now i am all for having a diverse pool of officers, but seriously why has no-one asked the most obvious question here ?
    What if no minority people WANT to be a fucking cop ? Are we not going to employ others in the hope that their magical candidate shows up ?

Some people need their heads banging together, just make sure a person from a minority background does it or there will be trouble...