Spec Combination for ToT. halp

So, I'm a bit conflicted about which specs to run with. I've been of the belief so far that Destruction/Demonology is the best combination, at least at lower gear levels. However, it's my understanding that at higher gear levels and with UVLS (Where I'm not, right now) Demo will go for Haste and Mastery, while Destro will generally mostly want Mastery, with backdraft + various haste procs (Heroism, Metagem, maybe Shado-Pan trinket, etc) swiftly making haste less useful. Affliction, again as I understand it, will want Haste and Mastery as well, similar to Demo.

This makes me think that gear-wise, once you get into some heroic gear, the best combination would be Affliction/Demonology. Destruction seems to outdo Aff/Demo mostly on Durumu. I had thought it'd shine on Horridon and Primordius (25H, all parses), but the difference between Destro and the next closest spec doesn't seem as massive as I first thought. 10k between Destro and Demo on Horridon, 15k between Destro and Affliction on Primordius.

So, it seems like in exchange for much more dual-spec compatible gear you give up the spec that is by far best for 1 fight, and in exchange retain top/contender positions on all other fights. Opinions/Facts/Wild Speculations? I'd appreciate any of it.

Play whatever spec you are the best at or like the most depending on what you're doing. Spec switching can be useful for different fights for mechanical reasons but in terms of DPS, as you have observed the difference is not huge.

You can't go wrong with playing Aff/Demo as your two specs, since they essentially can use the same gemming and reforging and do very well. Once you can get your hands on an UVLS trinket, Demo becomes a great idea anyways.

I was running Demo/Destro for a while, but have since transitioned into spending a great deal of my time as affliction as i've picked up upgrades.

Destro is very forgiving, and plays very well with most of the encounters in ToT. Not sure what your gear is like, but i'd take a long hard look at destro. AS for the second spec? Whatever tickles your fancy, though I would keep my eye on Aff, given how well it does with the new gear and meta.

Quote Originally Posted by raleeveet View Post
    Destro is very forgiving, and plays very well with most of the encounters in ToT. Not sure what your gear is like, but i'd take a long hard look at destro. AS for the second spec? Whatever tickles your fancy, though I would keep my eye on Aff, given how well it does with the new gear and meta.
    This is my gear right now: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ethia/advanced

Simming myself, Destro still wins out both on Patchwerk and add cleaves, but for each upgrade the difference between Demo and Destro seems to shrink. One of my specs will -definitely- be Demo, just because I enjoy it, but I recently joined a new guild after a mainswap, so my gear was in the shitter and I couldn't really justify to them not playing the spec with the highest DPS. I don't have a lot of experience with Affliction OR Destruction, I just don't particularly like Destruction for some reason. Personal preference. But as long as it remains superior I will play it regardless.

Deleted
    Any more info on this? I am not the best to ask, as I haven't really progressed into H TOT.

It seems that some fights tend to favour some specs over others.This is just what I think, and this assumes you have Lei Shin trinket for Demo. This is a list for HC.

Jinrohk - Aff = Demo = Destro (whatever you prefer, really).

Horridon - MF Destro>Aff>>Demo

Council GoS Demo>Aff>>Destro

Tortos - Aff>Demo=Destro. Dps wise they are about equal, however Aff brings utility with SB:CoEx for Turtles.

Megara - Destro>Aff>Demo

Jikun - Torn here. Are you on nest duty? (Most of the time). Demo=Destro > Aff. Are you on single target duty, they should be about even.

Durumu - Demo = Destro >> Aff

Primo - Demo/Destro would obv be the best on paper dps (aka aoeing inflated, but not real beneficial dps), but not really boss dps.
    If your cleaning lanes, I would go Aff, if you are on boss, MF Destro > Aff = Demo, if your clearing lanes Aff >> Destro>> Demo.

Dark Animus - No idea. I bet most are Aff for multidotting most adds down @a time, but yeah. No real clue :P

Iron Qon Aff=Destro > Demo

Twins Aff>Demo>>Destro

Lei Shin - No clue. Would assume demo for on-demand aoeing the adds, but yeah.

here's how i do the fights on normal

jin rokh- destro
    horridon aff but all 3 pull good numbers
    council aff
    tortos destro
    megaera- destro
    ji kun destro
    durumu destro
    prim aff, another fight where all 3 work well
    dark animus- destro but depending on your guild strat it may not matter. if its like mine your afk most of the fight.
    iron qon- destro or aff both work well.

I've been playing this Tier mostly Destro and Demo. With the only fights really played as Affliction was Council NM (No lei shen trinket) and Tortos HC (first kill). I'll most likely go Affliction for Primordius. I don't have the Wush, Hydra or Lei Shen at all.

We have about 4-5 available Locks with me and another one in for all the heroic modes.

HC Jin'Rokh - Destro > Affliction >>> Demo
    HCHorridon - Destro > Affliction >>> Demo
    NM Council - Affliction > Demo >>>> Destro
    HC Tortos - Destro > Affliction >>>> Demo
    HC Megaera - Destro > Demo >>>> Affliction
    HC Ji-kun - Destro > Affliction = Demo
    NM Durumu - Destro > Demo >>> Affliction
    HC/NM Primordius - Affliction = Destro >>> Demo -- Depending on the difficulty
    NM Dark Animus - Destro > Demo > Aflicction
    HC Iron Qon - Demo > Affliction > Destro (Progressing)
    NM Twin Consorts - Demo > Destro > Affliction
    NM Lei Shen - Demo > Destro > Affliction