Poll: Should the police have been called?

Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    Not a social agenda? a kid gets suspended for eating his poptart in the shape of a gun. so try to claim the schools are not pushing a socail agenda again
    That's like arguing that teacher's should be fired for expecting students in kindergarten to listen to authority. It's still a "social agenda."

Why is it bad to be against promoting violence as fun?

The other version is he is clearly a criminal and should be brought up on charges which he has. Obviously.
    No student has the right to disrupt the education process. If his protests spilled over into teaching time that the teacher was removed from to deal with his misbehaviour, then he broke the law and he is at fault.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    How is this political? It's not a free speech issue, not a 2nd amendment issue. It's an appropriate, distracting clothing issue.
    Just because something is against school policy, doesn't make it criminal. What was he arrested for ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    This country is not safe because we are a violent culture. Not because we have a lot of guns. We have robberies not because people failed to lock their doors but because others broke them.
    I'm sure such easy access to guns because of your lax laws has absolutely nothing to with your country not being a safe place to live...

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Just because something is against school policy, doesn't make it criminal. What was he arrested for ?
    According to the article: disrupting the educational process and obstructing an officer.

Police charged him with disrupting an educational process and obstructing an officer.
    I guess lunch is educational.
    I'll also take a swing and say the obstructing an officer was him refusing to remove his shirt after the cop asked him to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Disrupting the educational process. It's completely unacceptable, no matter how hard done by he felt.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    You know that part of the 2nd amendment that talks about a WELL REGULATED MILITIA, That is what Switzerland has, we have highly trained gun owners that also make up the armed forces of the country in this regard. And coming in and comparing the apples to oranges and say putting more guns in the hands of untrained owners in the USA will make us safe since arms in the hands of highly well trained owners in another place is the evidence we have.
    You have a military and a national guard to fill that role. Switzerland does not. The difference there is that while the US has trained gun owners, they also have untrained owners. As opposed to Switzerland where all gun owners are trained. Not to mention the social climates of Switzerland and the US are completely different.

I've also made no such comparison...sooooo, yeah.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Taking into consideration how many kids that have been murdered by gun enthusiasts i think it's perfectly fine that schools are taking a stand. You most be a very stubborn and retarded person to wear a shirt like that to school.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    No, it really isn't accurate at all. "after arguing with police and obstructing an officer, because he wouldn't take his NRA shirt off" would be closer given the charges levied.
    What is at stake is the minors refusal to follow orders. The dress code includes a paragraph that says the schools decision on what violates the code is FINAL. that means what they say is what is in effect as the current dress code and if they say you violate it the code you are violating the code plain and simple. All these type of documents usually have this clause in them or they would become very ineffective since the alternative is that you have to label every one and each case of potential violation individually.

The things listed as prohibited is there to show you instantly what isnt even entering the area of judgement when it comes to dress code, The clause is what catches the rest.

and he gets arrested for failing to obey orders where he by law is forced to obey those said orders.

Deleted
    putting more guns in the hands of untrained owners in the USA will make us safe since arms in the hands of highly well trained owners in another place is the evidence we have.
    How does that sit with the evidence that the USA has one of the highest gun-related number of deaths per year, every year? I've asked other people this and still they have not answered, so now it's your turn - if guns made people safe, why is the USA one of the most dangerous countries to live?

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    No, it really isn't accurate at all. "after arguing with police and obstructing an officer, because he wouldn't take his NRA shirt off" would be closer given the charges levied.
    He wasn't charged with obstruction so yours is very misleading. The topic is accurate its a shortened version of what happened and when people click it and read the story they get more information. It's the name of the news article maybe you should take it up with Huff Post....

Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    That's like arguing that teacher's should be fired for expecting students in kindergarten to listen to authority. It's still a "social agenda."

Why is it bad to be against promoting violence as fun?

No student has the right to disrupt the education process. If his protests spilled over into teaching time that the teacher was removed from to deal with his misbehaviour, then he broke the law and he is at fault.
    And, again. The entire purpose of a dress code is to prevent distractions. If the teacher is removed from his classroom to deal with this, an incident he himself started, that has no bearing on the student; if the incident had been that either the shirt was strictly against the dress code (not loosely, as it was), or if it had caused a disruption started by students in the classroom, then it'd be an entirely different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

What is at stake is the minors refusal to follow orders. The dress code includes a paragraph that says the schools decision on what violates the code is FINAL. that means what they say is what is in effect as the current dress code and if they say you violate it the code you are violating the code plain and simple. All these type of documents usually have this clause in them or they would become very ineffective since the alternative is that you have to label every one and each case of potential violation individually.

The things listed as prohibited is there to show you instantly what isnt even entering the area of judgement when it comes to dress code, The clause is what catches the rest.

and he gets arrested for failing to obey orders where he by law is forced to obey those said orders.
    Yes? Not sure why you quoted me lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never mind, I'm wrong.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    And, again. The entire purpose of a dress code is to prevent distractions. If the teacher is removed from his classroom to deal with this, an incident he himself started, that has no bearing on the student;
    Unless the teacher is his mother or father, the teacher is not the one responsible for the student's dress. The student is.

if the incident had been that either the shirt was strictly against the dress code (not loosely, as it was), or if it had caused a disruption started by students in the classroom, then it'd be an entirely different story.
    The moment he refused to turn the t-shirt inside out and dragged out the disciplinary procedure, the student is responsible. Your argument makes it sound like a teacher should be blamed for trying to subdue and calm a hysterical student (and thus taking time away from teaching,) despite the student being the disruption.

The law is very clear on this, at least in my state.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodrayne of Lothar View Post
    He wasn't charged with obstruction so yours is very misleading. The topic is accurate its a shortened version of what happened and when people click it and read the story they get more information. It's the name of the news article maybe you should take it up with Huff Post....
    Police charged him with disrupting an educational process and obstructing an officer, he said.
    Did you even read the article?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodrayne of Lothar View Post
    Here is the story

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3128715.html

Would not be surprised if in 10 - 15 years we hear about a student who was arrested for giving a teacher the finger or a dirty look.
    Difficult. I do not know who is in charge of a schools dress code. Where I grew up it would be the principal.

The dresscode says "no violence" some teachers may interpret that as "no guns".
    (I'm not saying that a definition like that is right or wrong just trying to follow the thought process.)

If the principal meant it that way and explained it to the student then he was violating the dresscode even if in his own eyes he wasn't (different interpretation of violence).

In a situation where a student is a disturbance (this is subjective to the teachers) you have 3 choices:
    A) Send him home.
    B) Put him in specific detention classroom.
    C) Call the police.

I imagine that option A for minors is impossible (if something happens to the child the teachers would get into trouble). So that means you either put him into detention until his parents pick him up or you call the police so he's not your problem anymore.

Now the student might not have been as calm as he says and the police officer might have been a jerk (it happens right?) so that's how the compliance charge gets into place.

After all I think this isn't much of an outrage just a teacher and a student disagreeing on the interpretation of a school policy. (And I'm sorry but in such a dispute the policy makers usually win.) In a situation like that the student should have just given in and turned his shirt and later clarified with the people in charge (principal, school board) if his interpretation was correct. Then it could all have been avoided.
    Last edited by mmocb100f50513; 2013-04-22 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SylvanaSlave View Post
    How does that sit with the evidence that the USA has one of the highest gun-related number of deaths per year, every year? I've asked other people this and still they have not answered, so now it's your turn - if guns made people safe, why is the USA one of the most dangerous countries to live?
    It has been answered and since you ignored that answer because it didn't fit in with you agenda i will answer it again CULTURE we have a violent Culture here in the US

Sounds like a petty little teacher who doesn't like the NRA trying to force his views on students. If the kid managed to go 5 lessons without anyone saying anything then clearly this is just the teacher in question being childish himself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    It has been answered and since you ignored that answer because it didn't fit in with you agenda i will answer it again CULTURE we have a violent Culture here in the US
    Indeed, look at how many guns people own and how people argue that guns solve problems! Violence abound, I tell you.