Thread: Raid DPS Help

Raid DPS Help

We killed Megaera last week with a bunch of help from a thread I posted in the Raid & Dungeons Forum. There were a lot of posts stating that we needed to improve our dps. I would appreciate any tips and ideas on how we could do that. I an including the logs from our Megaera kill and from a few other bosses. Thanks for the help.

Megaera worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-hdcmq82cpl8x8ayw/dashboard/?s=4864&e=5397

Jin'rokh - Tortos worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-mnypmlbjdkhla5eo/

I'll be looking at Gawain first:

- Nether tempest uptime: 77% on Jin, 77.8% on Horridon, 85.4% on Council, 41.7%!!! on Tortos and 69.4% on Megaera.

Should be as close to 100% as possible, and while it's understanding that on some fights he might drop to ~90% more uptime equals more DPS, as nether tempest is the single spell with most dpct assuming no clips (as are most dots tbh)

- Invoker's Energy (Buff from Invocation talent): While on some fights (namely Jin) he got over 90% uptime, 63% on Horridon is WAY too low, same as 75% on Council and 49.9% on Tortos

Important!: Invoker's energy should NOT be 100% uptime, as you only need the buff when you are actually doing damage. 2-3 seconds downtime for each minute is about as high as it should get.

Just those 2 should improve his damage by quite a bit, he doesn't seem to be doing anything extra strange.

Deleted
    I only really deal with casters but let's see...

The warlock doesn't look like a member of your guild so I won't touch on them, though they could improve massively
    The shadow priest's dot uptime on Vampiric Touch and Shadow Word Pain is down in the low 70s, it should be as high as possible as they are wasting a LOT of damage. That alone would improve their damage. A few quality of life things is taking talents like Angelic Bulwark instead of Desperate Prayer; Desperate Prayer is the use of a GCD and the priest needs to think to use it but Bulwark will proc automatically at the right health.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Inthislzon View Post
    I'll be looking at Gawain first:

- Nether tempest uptime: 77% on Jin, 77.8% on Horridon, 85.4% on Council, 41.7%!!! on Tortos and 69.4% on Megaera.

Should be as close to 100% as possible, and while it's understanding that on some fights he might drop to ~90% more uptime equals more DPS, as nether tempest is the single spell with most dpct assuming no clips (as are most dots tbh)

- Invoker's Energy (Buff from Invocation talent): While on some fights (namely Jin) he got over 90% uptime, 63% on Horridon is WAY too low, same as 75% on Council and 49.9% on Tortos

Important!: Invoker's energy should NOT be 100% uptime, as you only need the buff when you are actually doing damage. 2-3 seconds downtime for each minute is about as high as it should get.

Just those 2 should improve his damage by quite a bit, he doesn't seem to be doing anything extra strange.
    Tell him to get TellMeWhen and make a warning whenever NT isn't on his target, and whenever Invocation has less than 4-5 seconds remaining. This should definitely help.

If you go into World of Logs, hover over the third tab over to bring up the submenu, and select the last option on that submenu 'Ranking Info' and scroll down, you can see where your people's dps placed in comparison to the world's best. The column I'm talking about is the '% of limit' column. It compares your guys to the best in teh world for their spec for this particular fight. Of course, your guys won't have the same gear as the world's best, but this does weed out spec-specific strengths and weaknesses when you're comparing dps.

Looking at the numbers, your mage was doing quite well and your paladin looks solid, your kitty is doing OK, your warrior and one of the disc priests are in the 60s (could do better), and your lock, hunter and spriest need lots of work. Your other disc priest, Heinikin, really really needs some work. Was he running offspec?

Heinikin is normally a SP, but he runs disc for fights where we need 2.5 healers.

Deleted
    I checked out Delmea's log for Megaera only and armory, and can't really see anything that a feral shouldn't be doing except for two things:

1) Going almost 10 seconds without SR while still dps'ing a head (venomous). No bleeds were reapplied during that time but will lose out quite a lot on mangle/shred and whites:

[00:04:29.266] Delmea's Savage Roar fades from Delmea
    [00:04:38.642] Delmea gains Savage Roar from Delmea

2) Again dropping SR but for ~4 seconds. This is a bit worse than the above example because a Rake was applied without SR, resulting in quite a loss:

[00:05:20.620] Delmea's Savage Roar fades from Delmea
    [00:05:20.654] Delmea casts Rake on Venomous Head
    [00:05:24.093] Delmea gains Savage Roar from Delmea

But overall seems like this feral knows what he/she is doing so might just get down to the chaotic nature of the fight and the complexity of feral DoC while everything else is going on..
    Last edited by mmocb6730ad4ad; 2013-04-25 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Forgot to say which fight i was looking at!

Deleted
    I think the main problem you guys are having is actually not dps, but the speed of your raid.
    Did you really only pull bosses 8 times over the span of 3 hours?! That is bad

I am not that great at reading the logs, but on Megaera it looks like your hunter died and got brezzed, right? Still, it looks like she was only out for ~20 seconds or so. I'm making the following comments about that fight with that assumption in mind. [Also assuming "she" simply b/c it's a girl toon.]

1) Explosive shots. She cast 82 in just over 8 1/2 mins. That'd be acceptable if she had 0 LnL procs. For comparison, in a 6:55 fight, I did 106. She should be prioritizing explosive shot and making sure she has 25+ focus every time it comes off of cooldown.

2) Thrill of the Hunt. This is a pretty weak talent if it's not an aoe fight. Since she runs AMoC, I'd recommend fervor for her, though DB is okay too. At any rate, I think part of her problem is not wanting to lose the free arcane shots from TotH proccing and therefore prioritizing those shots over more important ones.

3) Dead time. This is probably the biggest issue here (and related to #1). A lot of the other stuff can be cleaned up, but this is crucial and the other stuff won't really matter if this doesn't get fixed. She was in combat for roughly 510 seconds (death time taken out). I was in combat for 415 seconds. Also, she has more haste than I do, so she has faster cobras to regain focus + faster base focus regen = more shots (though she may have been missing 10% haste buff). That said, here is how the shot counts line up (hers are listed first): explosive shot-82 < 106, arcane shot-81 > 67, black arrow-17 < 19, cobra shot-59 > 54, kill shot- 13 < 18, glaive toss-25 < 27.

Whether it's lag or just waiting too long or what, she's not making use of her globals. With 100 seconds more combat, she should be eclipsing me in every category. I wouldn't be surprised if she's focus-capping. The sole reason I believe she has more arcanes is because she got some for free. Since she was in a group with slower dps, she should have had more kill shots than I do (though she may have been dead when a head was < 20%). She needs to know that she needs to keep her stuff on cooldown. She needs to keep enough focus on reserve to do that, using cobras between high priority shots. She should never be just auto-attacking (unless she's waiting like 0.3 seconds for an ES or something like that).

4) Gear. She could probably do a better job reforging. I rec she use wowreforge.com. Any upgraded items will need to have their secondary stats adjusted manually. Also, customize the weights. If she doesn't use femaledwarf.com (I recommend she use that to) or anything to help her with that, just do hit and exp at 3, crit at 1.5, haste at 1.1, and mastery at 1. Set hit and exp close to 2550 and hit optimize. Also, sucks that she hasn't gotten any better drops on ranged yet. She probably is, but make sure she spends a coin on Tortos each week. She also needs to have one ready for Durumu and Iron Qon when you guys start getting there. I'd also use one on Jin'rokh if I were her.

5) Miscellany. She doesn't have to sit through a whole deterrence every time. Idk if she cast it during rampage or during a Cinder or both, but unless the healers are really struggling (which they may have been on a first kill), she should use it minimally and remove it when she's safe. She didn't pre-pot (you guys may not be that big on that, idk). I recommend the raid just go blue > red > blue > red > blue > red > blue. I think you'll have an easier time. Idk what kind of pet Stanley is, but if he wasn't giving your group the 10% attack speed, she needed to bring a serpent or hyena.

Quote Originally Posted by Dole4011 View Post
    -snip-
    In addition, her Serpent Sting uptime was only 61.6%; Black Arrow, 70.3%. That's pretty low. She also sat on LnL procs for an average of ~5s, which means less Explosive Shots overall. She just needs to press her buttons more.

I imagine she was heavily focus capping because Thrill of the Hunt and what seems like way too many Cobra Shots. I'm pretty sure Dire Beast is still better than Fervor, but I know for sure that Thrill of the Hunt completely screws over my rotation and makes it nearly impossible not to focus cap while keeping Serpent Sting rolling with Cobra Shot and using all LnL and TotH procs. DB is another button, but it's worth it.
    Last edited by Squirl; 2013-04-25 at 08:23 PM.

I appreciate all the feedback....keep it coming

Your ranged DPS need to work n their uptimes as previously stated. Your Warlock really needs to download an addn to track dots as they have around 47% Doom and Corruption uptime.

The Priest/Mage also could use a better method for dot tracking but not to the same extent.
    I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Deleted
    A bit OT but I had a look at you Paladin Tank and noticed he ist using Eternal Flame and not Sacred Shield. SS should always be used as prot. EFs ticks are usually over heal and get overwritten if you have to use the self heal more often (after each breath).
    He could also go for Lights Hammer (lvl 90 Talent) instead of Execution Sentence, since is not using it nearly as often as he should. Just put down Ligths hammer during every Rampage phase and it helps the healers a ton.