Tortos(N) 10m Advice

Hey just got finished looking over our logs for Tortos and I am fairly sure we will be able to kill it on our next set of attempts but was wondering if anyone had any pointers for rockfall or handling whirl turtles with our comp. Currently I have been using Chillblains (Tank DK) and just snaring them as they come out with roiling blood Blood boils, coupled with our Rogue using his slowing poison and Shiv to get the extra 20% snare since he helps kill turtles. Our hunter mentioned scare beast worked on turtles but I am skeptical.

Logs from our best attempt (4%) are: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/c...?s=8878&e=9350

rockfall is nature damage, so pop a devo or something like 3 seconds after a quake stomp. This will reduce the aoe damage by quite a bit. If you have an aff warlock, have him slow them with curse of exhaustion. Otherwise, melee are best to be sat on the boss.

Every other rockfall your priest should be spirit shelling about 10-15 seconds before the rockfall comes out, that'll make those phases easier to deal with (I dont play with the other two healing classes and haven't ever played them myself, so not much other advice).

Also since you're a bit melee heavy, you're going to have a bad time with turtles, but your priest does seem to be keeping up and trying to help dps those down.

If you're not already doing it, make sure to tank the bats very close to the melee, inside the bosses model, so they can cleave into them while they're dpsing down the boss.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/a...?s=5584&e=5892

Here are the logs from our kill (I'm the disc priest Vora). I am bad at using my SS but I found that doing what your priest is doing with the PW:S Spam is enough since I ranked on that parse. What stands out to me the most is the fight duration and how you guys are even making it close to the 8th minute. If you are having issues with the turtles at first, have your rogue go into Shuriken Toss and help the ranged out on the turtles. It is true, you are at a disadvantage for this fight based on your composition.

What we like to do is try to chain the debuff on the boss to increase DPS. With the first 3 turtles, we use the first to interrupt the breath, the second on the bats and we hold the third turtle for the next breath. That third turtle will interrupt the breath and usually hit the 3 new turtles, and chain like that. When we find a lull in the action and the boss has the debuff we pop lust, but popping lust at the start as effective. You guys didn't pop lust in your best attempt. Consider having your hunter respec into BM and pulling out a core hound as lust is a very good cooldown. Looking at the death logs, your priest died to the bats and then everyone else died to either rockfalls or getting knocked up and then getting rockfalled. Try spreading out more, a lot of groups don't use the wings of the room where the water is. If you guys made it to 4% then you can certainly do it, just try and have everyone try and push out a bit more numbers and use a bloodlust and you guys will get it!
    Last edited by Broccoliform; 2013-04-26 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoliform View Post
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/a...?s=5584&e=5892

Here are the logs from our kill (I'm the disc priest Vora). I am bad at using my SS but I found that doing what your priest is doing with the PW:S Spam is enough since I ranked on that parse. What stands out to me the most is the fight duration and how you guys are even making it close to the 8th minute. If you are having issues with the turtles at first, have your rogue go into Shuriken Toss and help the ranged out on the turtles. It is true, you are at a disadvantage for this fight based on your composition.

What we like to do is try to chain the debuff on the boss to increase DPS. With the first 3 turtles, we use the first to interrupt the breath, the second on the bats and we hold the third turtle for the next breath. That third turtle will interrupt the breath as long as usually hit the 3 new turtles, and chain like that. When we find a lull in the action and the boss has the debuff we pop lust, but popping lust at the start as effective. You guys didn't pop lust in your best attempt. Consider having your hunter respec into BM and pulling out a core hound as lust is a very good cooldown. Looking at the death logs, your priest died to the bats and then everyone else died to either rockfalls or getting knocked up and then getting rockfalled. Try spreading out more, a lot of groups don't use the wings of the room where the water is. If you guys made it to 4% then you can certainly do it, just try and have everyone try and push out a bit more numbers and use a bloodlust and you guys will get it!
    My kingdom for a BL/Hero

Seems like you're already working on having your team uses their slows on the turtles which makes the fight much easier so I won't say anything about that. As far as rockfall goes just remember that the blue circles are where the damage is high but the damage still extends past that circle, but is reduced the further away from that circle you are. My guild decided to have our Melee/tanks stack together and the ranged stack together so that for the most part the rockfalls were concentrated in that area where they stacked instead of spread out across the room, helped us avoid a lot of unnecessary damage. Also, remember to keep away from dead turtles until you need to kick, you don't want to have a breath come in and a rockfall on top of the turtle because your kicker was standing ready next to it.

Other than that your strat seems fine, ranged on turtles at all times and Merle on torrid until bats come in at which point they become priority, the bat tank groups them next to tortos and the melee cleave off of them onto tortos. As was suggested above, use one turtle on interrupting the first breath, the next between breaths, and save the third for the next breath, this allows you to always interrupt and keep up the debuff on him, having that damage boost up as much as possible is huge and goes a long way towards killing him.

Rogue shouldn't be shiv'n crip, but fok all 3 for aoe damage and slows

Quote Originally Posted by matthias9742 View Post
    My kingdom for a BL/Hero
    Don't give up! You guys are right there. Any wipe under 5% means you are right on the cusp and more crits or less damage taken equals a kill. Keep the strategy you guys are working with and try and force your hunter to go BM for lust. You guys are literally RIGHT THERE.

We actually 2 heal this fight with a disc priest and a holy priest because our dps is lacking. It's a little rougher but not impossible.

Here's our log for our first kill (raid ilvl's around 504 avg. The holy priest and disc priests here are 502 and 501): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...s=9964&e=10307

I play the disc priest. For the quake, I usually smite the boss to stack eva x 5 then pop it and do spirit shell 10 ~ 15 sec before. Although for that attempt I was focusing primarily on the bat tank so my shields aren't that high on use. Right before the quake goes out (if you time it properly), both me and the holy priest pop halo on left and right side of the room, so as the raid is stunned, the halo expands and heal everyone to close to 75%+ health. Tell your priest to use prayer of mending more. And from personal experience I find Mind Bender to be much better than solace on this fight. Set the bender on a whirling turtle shell for extra damage.

Having lots of melee on this fight does suck though, but it's still doable, and you guys having a DK is nice. We have since lost our shadow priest so now we do this fight with 3 mdps and 3 rdps + 2 tanks, still 2 heal-able just fine.
    Last edited by Xelaeno; 2013-04-27 at 02:48 AM.

GM/Raid Leader of <Air>, Sargeras-US, Alliance
    13/13M Mythic Morning/Day-Time Raiding Guild

Now recruiting for Legion! Apply at air-guild.com

Quote Originally Posted by matthias9742 View Post
    My kingdom for a BL/Hero
    Have your Hunter spec Beast Mastery and use a BL pet.
    Should be an overall raid dps increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Xelaeno View Post
    For the rocks, you can have your paladin use hand of protection on a healer. They are immune to the damage and can spam heal while worrying less about damage taken.
    False. Hand of Protection only provides immunity to physical damage. It will protect your healer from the Whirl Turtles, but not the Rockfall, which is Nature damage. The paladin would be better off using Devotion Aura so the entire raid takes 20% less damage, or using Hand of Sacrifice to take the edge off the damage the healer is taking.

Ah whirling turtles, that's correct.

GM/Raid Leader of <Air>, Sargeras-US, Alliance
    13/13M Mythic Morning/Day-Time Raiding Guild

Now recruiting for Legion! Apply at air-guild.com

Deleted
    Remember to throw turtles at Call of tortos (so whirling will be dying faster) and after 3rd or 4th stomp, there are enough turtles for interrupt, turtles and even bats!

What on earth is your mistweaver doing his heal breakdown is absolutely bonkers. Soothing is his top heal, uplift is his bottom???? He def needs some practice, uplift should be his top heal on that fight followed by renewing mist.