Does anyone miss the fun video game marketing campaigns we had back in the 2000s?

It seems like video game marketing campaigns were much more fun during the 2000s and early 2010s.

I guess there is not much money to pay actors with the increased cost of video game production nowadays but would it be nice to see that type of marketing make a comeback?

Did you see the D4 marketing???

Who watches advertising these days? Ads are for plebs.

The only thing I care about when it comes to a game is what is the gameplay. Anything besides that, including and especially big marketing campaigns, reduce my confidence in the product because they come across as obfuscation and appealing to the lowest common denominator.
    Last edited by Delekii; 2023-12-28 at 09:59 AM.

Nope. I miss fun games.

The GW2 Super Adventure box trailer made me chuckle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    Who watches advertising these days? Ads are for plebs.
    Basically this. I have been free from TV ads for so long that it grosses me out when I see them.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Nobody watches adds anymore. No one watches linear television, no one runs his browser without addblock.

If you want to reach the target audience you do as they do, and pay streamers and influencers to do the marketing.

See them for mobile game ads now

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Nobody watches adds anymore. No one watches linear television, no one runs his browser without addblock.

If you want to reach the target audience you do as they do, and pay streamers and influencers to do the marketing.
    Oh, for fuck's sake.

Blows my mind people would rather watch talentless hacks like streamers and influencers for extended lengths of time than 20-30 second TV spots/commercials.

Don't listen to the bubble boys on this forum who dare not wander outside their mother's basements. I hate to pull that trite old insult out of the old 90's bag, but when you post stupid shit like this with probably a straight face and grossly generalize what people do, there's little recourse. People do watch television and commercials. Super Bowl ads still cost millions of dollars. People still watch live TV between live sports and other programming. Media is splintered, but don't assume your demographic represents the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    ??? Really? Cause quite honestly, I would rather punch myself repeatedly in the balls while slamming my face into a wall and closing a car door on my fingers than subject myself to watching paid corporate shill streamers and "influencers" for literally anything. The closest you would ever catch me to that shit is checking out real, honest "content creators". The type of guys who are doing their thing because they love the game, rather than because they see a paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Media is splintered, but don't assume your demographic represents the world.
    I am not sure what "my demographic" is exactly, but the demographic I am talking about - "the target audience" as I called it - watches those streams. Massively. Already in 2018 teens were watching less than 15% of their screen time any form of live tv.
    I do not, nor do I watch any form of linear TV anymore. So "my" demographic is neither. So don't assume that my demographic is representing the demographic I am talking about.
    Last edited by Puri; 2024-01-01 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Link was missing

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Oh, for fuck's sake.

Blows my mind people would rather watch talentless hacks like streamers and influencers for extended lengths of time than 20-30 second TV spots/commercials.

Don't listen to the bubble boys on this forum who dare not wander outside their mother's basements. I hate to pull that trite old insult out of the old 90's bag, but when you post stupid shit like this with probably a straight face and grossly generalize what people do, there's little recourse. People do watch television and commercials. Super Bowl ads still cost millions of dollars. People still watch live TV between live sports and other programming. Media is splintered, but don't assume your demographic represents the world.
    I mean, the Super Bowl is also like, one of the, if not the most televised event.

This seems just weird to be so worked up about it though, advisements should absolutely take into account the demographic you're targeting and while I'm not huge into streamers, it's not unusual to think that they'd be more relevant to gamers than cable television, which I mean, I don't know any of my friends that pay for it in my age bracket.

More valuable to put time into making a good trailer rather than an ad, I'd imagine part of the shift is also the fact that companies can put out these 2-5 minute trailers easily through YouTube and don't need to rely solely on having some 15-30 second air time. The only one that I really remember nowadays from then was the famous Smash Bros trailer of all the costumed people beating the hell out of each other.
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2024-01-01 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Basically this. I have been free from TV ads for so long that it grosses me out when I see them.
    Here in Germany basic cable can't be booked by buildings owner and paid via utilities anymore so the cable provider sent me a letter about how I can't watch TV anymore if I don't get my own contract with them. All I thought was "sweet that saves me almost a tenner per month". I can't even remember when I watched linear TV the last time.

Yeah I "miss" them but more like - I appreciate what they did during those times but completely understand why we don't have those things anymore, just like all those rad magazine ads from back in the day

I can definitely remember the ones that gave me chills (the shortened halo 3 believe commercial) or brought out the feels (gear of war mad world commercial) - stuff these days are more about flash vs substance but that's probably due to wanting to put things in bite size 15 second mobile ads to get maximum eyes on the product before hitting the skip button

I don't remember many game adverts from the 2000's tbh, only ones that spring to mind are the Will Shatner 'I'm a shaman' and whatever the Mr. T one was.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    ??? Really? Cause quite honestly, I would rather punch myself repeatedly in the balls while slamming my face into a wall and closing a car door on my fingers than subject myself to watching paid corporate shill streamers and "influencers" for literally anything.
    Pretty much the same boat...I only watch twitch to get free stuff for games I play, put a stream on in minimum res, mute it and put the tab away somewhere then leave as soon as I have my item. I can think of nothing more boring than watching people play games on my computer when i could actually be playing games on my computer ^^

Which concentric level of hell have we stepped into where people are nostalgic over motherfucking advertisements?

OP: Ads changed because the way people consume content changed. When the average attention span of a consumer is measured in the few seconds that it takes them to swipe through their social media feeds the market for the long form advertisements you posted here is non-existent.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The GW2 Super Adventure box trailer made me chuckle.
    We still use, "Stop the graphics!" among my gaming friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I miss is the old school magazine adds back in the day, even though some of them are very of their time and would probably never see the light of day today lol. I think some used to push the limits even for their time.

They really used to be peak advertisement though, verging on offensive, to funny, to downright bizarre.

I mean this was an add for Cruis’n World

the 90's was a crazy time you had to be there :P

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Which concentric level of hell have we stepped into where people are nostalgic over motherfucking advertisements?

OP: Ads changed because the way people consume content changed. When the average attention span of a consumer is measured in the few seconds that it takes them to swipe through their social media feeds the market for the long form advertisements you posted here is non-existent.
    In the 80's and 90's adds were really driven into your brain unlike they are today, more so TV adds, they nailed home capitalism this decade only wishes they could. More so because they targeted kids to harass their parents for things, be it, fast food, or toys, or video games... Those two decades were really hammering home its demo they knew what they were doing too. So much so I feel a lot of actions have been taken to make sure that sort of advertising doesn't exist now. Being an 80's and 90's kid myself I have very clear memories of advertisements more than I do TV shows at the time HAHA :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2024-01-11 at 11:59 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance