Latest PC Build - opinions please!

Hey guys, I'd like your opinions on the parts that I have selected for a new PC that I am hoping to buy in the near future.

Some things to know:
    • I am only a gamer, I do dabble in in-game recording, but rarely.
    • I do not edit videos or anything like that. Only a little bit of Photoshop usage as well.
    • The games that I play are:

Guild Wars 2, Starcraft 2, World of Warcraft, Sim City, Diablo 3, Minecraft

My wish is to play these games at their highest settings and maintain high FPS. I don't have a set budget, but if it is avoidable, I'd prefer to stay below $2,000 AUD. The website that I use is: http://www.computeralliance.com.au/systems -- I unfortunately do not have the knowledge or skill to build my own computer. I do trust Computer Alliance, I have used them in the past.

*Note* If you want to look through their parts, their lists will not show certain out of stock parts.

The Build

CPU: Intel S1155 Core i5 3570K 3.40Ghz Quad Core CPU UNLOCKED
    Motherboards: Gigabyte S1155 ATX GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB Motherboard with Dual Band Wireless & Bluetooth #
    Desktop Memory: DDR3 8GB (2x4G) G.Skill 1600MHz PC12800 Ripjaws RAM Kit
    SSD: 128GB Crucial 2.5" M4 SATA 6Gb/s SSD Drive
    Hard Drive: 1TB Seagate 3.5" 7200rpm SATA 6Gb/s
    Video Card: NVIDIA GTX670 OC 2GB Gigabyte PCIe Video Card #
    Case: Zalman ATX MS800 PLUS Case Black ^
    Power Supply: 650 Watt Antec Earthwatts Power Supply
    Cooling: Thermaltake SlimX3 Low Profile CPU Heatsink and FAN ^

# signifies parts that I am set on buying.
    ^ signifies parts I especially need help with.

I don't know which case to buy, there are so many out there I don't really know what the difference is between them all other than the amount of fans that can have/come with or what colour lights they show, etc.
    Same goes with the CPU cooler. I don't feel that I need anything expensive or too powerful. I live in Tasmania, Australia where the temperature is usually quite cold.

Everything looks really good, for the case since there isn't going to be that much stress on the machine just pick a case that you like since most cases over 100 are going to be good quality

Quote Originally Posted by mcbeaty View Post
    Everything looks really good, for the case since there isn't going to be that much stress on the machine just pick a case that you like since most cases over 100 are going to be good quality
    Awesome, thanks for the info.

What about the CPU cooler? Do you/does anyone think it's necessary?

Should look into getting cheaper graphics card (for example, if you need to drop the price somewhere) and 250GB SSD instead of 120GB. With that long list of games you'll probably need it.

Reviews say that the Thermaltake SlimX3 is worst performing CPU cooler they've ever tried, even worse than the stock cooler Intel packs with the processor... It's meant for super thin case where normal cooler does not fit at all, not for overclocking or to improve performance. Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and Xigmatek Gaia are usual recommendations for decent CPU coolers that are still low cost.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    I would def change the cooler... the 212 would be a good option and keeps the price down. I assume since you arnt willing to build yourself you will prob not Over clock either? if not then is the 3570k a good choice? the k means it is overclock-able... if you are going to over clock then i would step the cooler up a but more with something like the Noctua air cooler. I am curious what they are charging for this build? if you were willing to watch a vid or 2 on youtube you could EASILY build it yourself for less then 1600 aud and max all the games u play.

Something like this might be the right way to go.

Cheaper than from alliance so you have a few extra hundred to play around with. Not sure what/if it comes with a cooler but something like a coolermaster 212 would be enough or a noctua Nh-U12.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd recommend investing in some high performance HDD, alongside that SSD, since HDDs are what bottlenecks modern PC's.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking good Sir. I only recommend things off my own experiences so on that note I say get a bigger size SSD if possible. I had a 120gb and filled it up quick. I use a SSD for OS and all programs though. I know a lot of ppl use them just for OS. After just recently installing a cooler master h100 CPU cooler I think gamers are nuts not to go with it or another water cooler system like it. They are easy to install, dont take up CRAZY amounts of run and the difference in temps it made for me most people don't believe. Last, you are correct on cases. Most are usually good just depends on your style. I'd just recommend a full tower if you don't mind the space so you always have room to upgrade in the future.
    Don't dish it if you can't take it...
    WotLK was/is the best expansion. It is not up for debate, just accept it.

Deleted
    I have personal experience of the Thermaltake SlimX3 Low Profile and i strongly advice against getting it.

Unless you have a really small case it is worthless, if you look at heat benchmarks it is actually worse than the stock intel cooler.

Thanks a ton for all the feedback on the CPU cooler. Very glad that I asked. I will definitely look into all the suggestions.

@Moshic

The price difference between the HDDs is quite small but I really don't understand the spec difference between them all. What are some pointers to identifying "high performance" HDDs?

On SSDs, I'd love to bump up to a 240GB but that is also double the price on the SSD (to be expected). I do understand the reasoning behind going to a larger one (my girlfriend filled hers up with 2 games and the OS). I'll see where I stand after I get the other pieces sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe
    Something like this might be the right way to go.
    Wow, I haven't even heard of this place before.. definitely worth a look at. Thanks a ton!

Deleted
    Wait four weeks.

No, seriously. A quick question: can you go to Computer Alliance and ask them to build the rig for you for a fee? I ask because you'll probably get muich better value purchasing the components separately and asking them to build.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodlight View Post
    The price difference between the HDDs is quite small but I really don't understand the spec difference between them all. What are some pointers to identifying "high performance" HDDs?
    Bad advice, honestly. Some HDD's have better read/write speeds (i.e. WD Black vs Blue or Green). However the ONLY time you'd ever get one, is if you don't have an SSD. If you have an SSD, then a normal HDD is fine, and recommended. Getting a 'faster' HDD and pairing with an SSD falls into the "I dont like money" category.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

@Chazus - Thank you for the clarification.

Upon looking at Jakexe's suggestion, I compared the prices on Computer Alliance to that of PC Case Gear's, as well as build and shipping costs. The result was up to $160 cheaper at PC Case Gear. That being said, not all the parts were the same. I hope you guys don't mind, but I am going to post the parts that I selected on the new website, just to ensure all is well:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K (I chose K because it was only $20 difference and gives me the ability to OC if I want to)
    MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB Motherboard
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
    SSD: Crucial M4 SSD 128GB
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST1000DM003
    GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 Overclocked 2GB
    Case: Thermaltake VN700M1W2N Overseer RX-I Case
    PSU: Antec VP650P 650W Power Supply
    CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler

---------- Post added 2013-05-06 at 01:59 AM ----------

Hey guys, just following up on this latest build, specifically the PSU.

PC Case Gear does not supply the original Power Supply that I picked on Computer Alliance - 650 Watt Antec Earthwatts Power Supply - and was wondering if the one that I have now chosen - Antec VP650P 650W Power Supply - was any good?

I have looked for some reviews but didn't have any luck. Here is the link directly to the PC Case Gear PSUs, if you guys see anything that would be better please let me know. http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?..._535&vk_sort=1
    Last edited by Bloodlight; 2013-05-06 at 07:01 AM.