Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    there are only 2 worth watching, van helsing and berserk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some anime is on par with great story telling. Some are like soap operas.

A lot have cliffhangers down to an art form.

And sadly, some is merely an outlet for pedophiles to get their rocks off (see: lolicon).

Depends mostly on what you watch.
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

Deleted
    I personally find some of the older anime more enjoyable(70's and 80's and some 90's). The problem with anime IMHO, especially now, is that most series resemble each other too much, its like if one show proves very succesful, you soon see a dozen cheap or less cheap knockoffs. And the characters are usually the same old, tired stereotypes. Many even look the same.

Occasionally you will find gems among the trash tough.
    Last edited by mmocb13165abed; 2013-05-08 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I tried watching FMA brotherhood but it seemed very childish, does it get more adult?
    Edit last comment was badly written.

Anyway to summaries what I was trying to say, yes the first 13 or so episodes are childish and fairly badly paced. This is a fault a fairly large portion of people agree they have, however after that it truly comes alive. Start really judging it around episode 15. Thats when it begins to come into its own. And yes it does deal with a lot of the more mature themes
    Last edited by ddsad2212; 2013-05-08 at 09:48 AM.

Deleted
    Now, as this seems to have turned into a suggestion-thread, I'll make some suggestions of my own,
    in a random, non-specified order:

1) Death Note:
    Almost everyone who has had some interest in anime, has watched death note... Why? Because, besides it being anime, it happens to be
    a psychological masterpiece with a mad plot and amazingly round characters. Just try watching this anime... chances are you'll really enjoy it.
    2) Code Geass:
    Death Note's younger geeky brother... incredible plot and amazing characters! Contrary to Death Note's spiritual theme (<- Death Gods), Code Geass takes place in a futuristic, robot-filled, post-war world. Honestly, I liked this anime about as much as I liked Death Note...
    3) Gintama:
    One of the best comedy-animes out there. Hilarious and totally random! Yet, every now and then, the plot manages to take a great emotional turn and you'll find yourself shedding tears... Small downside: this anime enjoys using contemporary references... which means you won't get a lot of the ones referring to Japanese lore/ current problems.
    4) One piece:
    Did you try this one already? I find it to be 'childish', but at the same time a lot funnier and deeper than Naruto... Just take a look at this one and see if you like it.
    5) Sword art online:
    Interesting concept ( = being stuck in a virtual reality video game, where death means real-life death as well) and interesting characters. Give it a try.
    6) Natsume Yuujinchou:
    If you can watch one episode of this anime without feeling a weird mixture of happiness and depression, you might as well accept being a sociopath Adorable anime touching real issues like loneliness and bullying. Incredibly powerful...

Well... Those are all I can think of... as beginner-animes. So ... uhum ... my few cents I guess.
    Last edited by mmocdcd6cf8be8; 2013-05-08 at 10:18 AM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I did not like anime, aside from DBZ (because I grew up with it) until I watched Angel Beats. Literally the best anime I have ever seen. It has an amazing plot it just starts slow.

I would go as far as to say It's better than almost every movie made in the last 5 years.

Deleted
    Aww so cute, I love people who boast having watched 10 animes thinking they have all the knowledge of anything related to anime I've watched over 300 shows and that's barely scratching the surface, lol.

Some people like anime with no plot, some people like it with plot, and a third group like anime with a mix of both.. when do people learn?

I must admit I am fascinated by all the contrasting emotions Anime seems to awaken in people.

Also I must admit I never really looked at Anime as a medium, as many have pointed out I should, but rather as a genre of animation, with different currents. But once placed in the perspective of it being a medium, one can understand the wild differences in quality.

Also I am becoming inclined to believe what some people pointed out, Anime today seem to have become a self catering closed cycle, creating stuff their fans expect of them, killing innovation and staying away from hard to crack topics, perpetuating stereotypes.

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    If you're referring to FLCL.....that is the title, not an abbreviation.
    FLCL is an abreviation, the working title is actually Fooly Cooly. FLCL is just what gets tossed around more.

Also I do suggest you wacth Fairy Tail, it is only 175 episodes long. Short in comparison to some series.

@OP If you want something really good I might suggest Last Exile, set in a sort of industrial revolution/steampunk world. The story is fantastic, it weaves together a few side stories between individual characters pretty well into a solid ending.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    Aww so cute, I love people who boast having watched 10 animes thinking they have all the knowledge of anything related to anime I've watched over 300 shows and that's barely scratching the surface, lol.

Some people like anime with no plot, some people like it with plot, and a third group like anime with a mix of both.. when do people learn?
    I like people who belittle others based on Quantity.

I have watched 15 anime shows at the MOST.

Why? Because 90% of anime is either pathetic shounen drivel, or generic Moeshit.

---------- Post added 2013-05-08 at 05:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I must admit I am fascinated by all the contrasting emotions Anime seems to awaken in people.

Also I must admit I never really looked at Anime as a medium, as many have pointed out I should, but rather as a genre of animation, with different currents. But once placed in the perspective of it being a medium, one can understand the wild differences in quality.

Also I am becoming inclined to believe what some people pointed out, Anime today seem to have become a self catering closed cycle, creating stuff their fans expect of them, killing innovation and staying away from hard to crack topics, perpetuating stereotypes.
    Anyone who says Anime is a medium is a fool.

It's Cartoons, made in Japan, that is all it is and anyone who says so is wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post

Why? Because 90% of anime is either pathetic shounen drivel, or generic Moeshit.
    Yeah and there has been thousands shown, so even 90 percent is still a lot more than 15

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanianMexican View Post
    Yeah and there has been thousands shown, so even 90 percent is still a lot more than 15
    Either way, Judging people on how much they have watched is pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by hitmannoob View Post
    Watch any show and u can see all of those bad things. I see characters in the walking dead make boardline retarded decisions. Its sounds like you just hate anime because every tv shows has cliche moments.
    I just wanted to point out that The Walking Dead is based on a comic.

And I am soo happy to see some love for Berserk in here, even though the last few arcs of the manga were a little boring.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebildays View Post

And I am soo happy to see some love for Berserk in here, even though the last few arcs of the manga were a little boring.
    People who don't like Berserk I can calmly brush off as being both Boring or Borderline retarded.

I don't get how the walking dead being based on a comic has anything to do with... anything? Also Berserk is awesome (If you had not guessed i think so)

People who don't like Berserk I can calmly brush off as being both Boring or Borderline retarded.
    I disagree with most you have said, but you do have quite a lot of sense after all!

Edit: For the Berserk lovers watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Uvc2-JIFc The best MMV i have seen to date (And i watch a lot of amvs/mmvs).
    Last edited by Zogarth; 2013-05-08 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    I don't get how the walking dead being based on a comic has anything to do with... anything? Also Berserk is awesome (If you had not guessed i think so)

I disagree with most you have said, but you do have quite a lot of sense after all!

Edit: For the Berserk lovers watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Uvc2-JIFc The best MMV i have seen to date (And i watch a lot of amvs/mmvs).
    I added the comment about The Walking Dead being based off of a comic because manga are nothing more than Japenese comics and a ton of anime is based off of manga. Depending on the content of an anime they can be just as good as any live action show just as the content of comics can make good live action shows.

Since I am at work I will have to wait to watch that link and I will share it with my plushie Guts

Honestly I almost stopped watching anime since I started reading Manga. And I just devour manga! I still take a peak at them but usually they turn bad.

Most tv original animes that are showing up are really bad.
    just going fast thru my mind I don't remember a good original anime. The good animes are always adaptations and from some awesome manga or novel.

I kinda feel like only Gainax can produce good original Anime! Eva/FLCL/Gurren Lagann are the only originals that come to my mind... And this is a real shame!
    Most of the anime lately do really feel overdone and play in the same repetitive genres and storylines with little to none originality in the plot.

Probably you'll find others and you'll point them out and I'll agree... Still they just don't come to my mind...

In b4 I'm a big fan of one piece! I really am! SUGOY!

---------- Post added 2013-05-08 at 06:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    One should never condemn a genre just because a lot of it is crap. I mean, look at comic books, same story. Hell, movies qualify.

Still I personally don't like most Anime. I really enjoyed Cowboy Bebop and pretty much every Miyazaki movie, but not much else.

It's a real shame Miyazaki legacy has turned a wrong turn... Hopefully his son will come around and get the studio back to track

---------- Post added 2013-05-08 at 06:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rivyr View Post
    FLCL is an abreviation, the working title is actually Fooly Cooly. FLCL is just what gets tossed around more.
    actually Fooly Cooly is the pronunciation...
    Still the offical title in English is FLCL and フリクリ in Japanese. If you want a direct romanji translation it is Furi Kuri.

Also I do suggest you wacth Fairy Tail, it is only 175 episodes long. Short in comparison to some series.
    Fairy Tail is kinda average IMO. Even the manga is average. I'ts like a more shallow version onepiece or naruto... But feel free to try

@OP If you want something really good I might suggest Last Exile, set in a sort of industrial revolution/steampunk world. The story is fantastic, it weaves together a few side stories between individual characters pretty well into a solid ending.
    Last exile is great and a must watch, specially the first series

---------- Post added 2013-05-08 at 06:38 PM ----------

I also believe in quality over quantity!
    But it's not like you'll be a connoisseur after watching 15 movies, tasting 15 wines or reading 15 books...
    That's just judging a book by the cover

---------- Post added 2013-05-08 at 06:43 PM ----------

I added the comment about The Walking Dead being based off of a comic because manga are nothing more than Japenese comics and a ton of anime is based off of manga.
    That's like saying that Calligraphy is just writing :P

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post

Well, if you makes stuff that people don't buy, you are going to go broke ...

And anime does have "innovation", just not the innovations you expect. The "fans" are surprisingly flicker and will jump boat in the blink of an eye to whatever new novelty fad.

Primarily anime tends to refer to a wide range of categories animation, that wildly hits different genres. Horror, Sci-Fi, Romance, Love and Sports as well as within those genres hitting age ranges from 8 through 50s. There is an anime/manga on playing table top tennis that gets strangely serious...

Western Cartoons generally still cater to the younger demographic and for the most part lack episodic story telling in favor of one offs and slap stick. Neither is really bad in my book, but I think that's the main difference.

Name a movie you like and someone can probably recommend a manga/anime you would also like, the same is not always true for western cartoons unfortunately.

Also there are many topics that are completely out limits in western cartoons that are routinely tackled in older manga such as homelessness, poverty, rape, death, employment, abuse, sacrifice, slavery and depression. Some really deep and tragic stuff out there if you go looking for it.
    Last edited by chaotus; 2013-05-08 at 09:26 PM.

I can't be the only one who thought FLCL was obnoxious and overly annoying more than funny?

Someone who's only seen 15 anime total, isn't qualified to make such broad statements. It's easy to read what other people who don't even know what they are talking about spew stupid shit on the internet, and then repeat the same thing because you see the other morons saying it to seem as though you have a clue what you're talking about, in reality, you're basically a sheep.
    Either way, Judging people on how much they have watched is pointless.
    Just like judging "90% of all anime" when you've only seen 15 of them is pointless.
    Last edited by Digglett; 2013-05-08 at 09:29 PM.