Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Being ret means you already have a decent tank set , less sword and board. see if tanking appeals?

Deleted
    Envy world 9th guild play with 2 rets - one of them was on almost every 1st kills at T15. Just look at their WoL and learn somethink, 5.3 will bring to a ret nice buuf 30% dmg instead of 15% from two handed weapons it`ll give around 6-8M more dmg at fights without burn phases ,or fights like Horidon or tortos.

Gear shouldn't be a reason for guilds to decline you(unless you're in quest greens), I managed to get in a guild with the worst gear you can imagine, show them you know every in and out about your class and impress them with your application. If necessary work your way up from a "lesser" guild to a more serious one.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

10+ Year Old Account
    With the buff that ret is getting currently in 5.3, ret will be a powerhouse.

In regards to ret being weak, personally I don't find it weak but it all depends on what kind of comp your raid leader wants to run.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    Being ret means you already have a decent tank set , less sword and board. see if tanking appeals?
    My most recent tanking experience is from Vanilla, and I don't even have a 1h weapon or shield without sp.

I disenchanted all my Ret PvE gear couple of days ago. I'm not raiding enough on it to ever keep up with the gear required to compete and most of the times I end up tanking because of the group lacking people and me being "fine" with it (mainly because pug tanks are crap in general). Ret is getting better and better in PvP (at least arenas) and I still enjoy it there so that's all I'm doing on it besides using it to make gold through its professions.

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    Point is, Hunters in my guild during heroic progression were benched for Rets that did less damage but had amazing utilities. In heroic ToT utility >>>> having insane DPS. It's easy enough to stack dime-a-dozen warlocks and mages for that. You have great buttons as Ret and that's what's desired in your class by heroic raiding guilds. If they don't need that then you're out of luck.
    This, IMO. A lot of fights, at least for the heroics, are much easier with rets because of utility, between the heals, the 20% raid wide damage reduction CD, and BoP taking debuffs off the tank, ret's bring A LOT to the table. If you're plan is just to go in and dps the boss as ret, you're doing it wrong, the good rets will help out with the massive damaging periods on the boss.

---------- Post added 2013-05-12 at 01:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kalukki View Post
    My most recent tanking experience is from Vanilla, and I don't even have a 1h weapon or shield without sp.
    May be worth your while to go and get a weapon and shield, to be honest prot pallies and holy pallies usually don't have much trouble getting into a raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    OP don't you have anything to show from pre-TOT raids?
    Hell, even if you have achievements to show from older expansions, that can speak for you, as long as those have the time stamps that speak for themselves.
    Another thing, have you tried to put up ads in the official forums section for it, or here on MMO-C?
    Next thing is the pug chance. You say you are on a high pop realm, so am I. On those realms is a heap of pugs almost every day. Remember, that was once the main path to get into guilds. Before LFD and LFR the pugs created the social interaction on the realms. You run with other people and eventually create bonds. Sooner or later you catch someones eye, who believes that you would be a valuable asset for their guild raid.
    Most puggers are usually players who just want additional progress on alts. Only few guilds run more raids than their one progression group.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    May be worth your while to go and get a weapon and shield, to be honest prot pallies and holy pallies usually don't have much trouble getting into a raid.
    Would you want a completely clueless tank in your raid?

As an officer/raidleader of a top 50 25 man guild, I can safely say that I'd take a ret pally over a DK or a hunter - DPS output might be slightly lower, but a 20% dmg reduction raid CD is simply too strong to pass up, especially now that no enrage timers are strict after the meta's came into play. Dark Animus, Lei shen, Primordius, Twins, Council - some of the hardest encounters this tier are just TAILORED to the use of magic dmg reduction. Add on top of this that there's only TWO aviable raid CD's that are useable without being stacked up - Rallying Cry and Aura Mastery.

Also, the argument that ret doesn't bring anything a holy or prot pally doesn't isn't at all viable - you're not competing with healers or tanks for your raidspot. You're competing with other DPS'ers.
    Just be happy you're not a hunter .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    OP don't you have anything to show from pre-TOT raids?
    Hell, even if you have achievements to show from older expansions, that can speak for you, as long as those have the time stamps that speak for themselves.
    Like I said, I have cleared T14. ToT pugs won't take me because my progress is only 3/12.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Next thing is the pug chance. You say you are on a high pop realm, so am I. On those realms is a heap of pugs almost every day. Remember, that was once the main path to get into guilds. Before LFD and LFR the pugs created the social interaction on the realms. You run with other people and eventually create bonds. Sooner or later you catch someones eye, who believes that you would be a valuable asset for their guild raid.
    Most puggers are usually players who just want additional progress on alts. Only few guilds run more raids than their one progression group.
    That's how I got into my current guild and the ones before that, but they all have the same problem: Not progressing and people quitting because of that, and eventually the guild dies.
    Last edited by mmocb55638e0da; 2013-05-12 at 01:32 PM.

If you're as good as you say you are it shouldn't be that hard to get a clue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like I said, I have cleared T14. ToT pugs won't take me because my progress is only 3/12
    If you have "ahead of the curve" achievements then you should be able to find the right guild. The pug situation you claim, that's just an example of how fucked up the games society is nowadays.
    Pugs should be actually happy to fill themselves. And they can always replace someone who fails with another one pugged in.
    The current progress of someone is not a bullet prove evidence for their quality. Someone may have 12/12 progress yet they are always the guy that gets dragged along, performing lackluster, sometimes good, sometimes bad, with an overall rating of OK. Aside from that, the differences between LFR and Normal mode are not that dramatic. For the most part the mechanics are very similar, just the damage against the raid and the health pools of the targets are higher.
    From there, it's not that you go in there completely clueless as to what to expect in encounters.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Pug leaders can be really amusing with their requirements. I've linked them realm first achis from previous tiers (for the same realm I'm at ofc) and links to wowprogress proving some world top 20 kills, yet they've somehow managed to turn me down.

Don't know why you say rets are unwanted. Good player is always wanted. Maybe the problem is you?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Dreamer View Post
    Don't know why you say rets are unwanted. Good player is always wanted. Maybe the problem is you?
    How do you prove some arrogant raid leader that you are good?

Sounds like you may know the answer for why you aren't getting into raids lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    Sounds like you may know the answer for why you aren't getting into raids lol
    Because playing prot is no different from playing ret?

Plenty of guilds that aren't high end will take anyone these days, you're just not looking. Don't let a few bad experiences ruin your perception of raiding guilds.

Have you tried posting in guild recruitment? That's what I did when my old guild fell apart, and I got plenty of responses from all kinds of guilds on different progression clears. Eventually after talking to all of them I landed with the guild I am in now and we're 2/13 H which is good enough for me. Yes the server transfer costed me (even though the GM was willing to cover the cost for me) but at the end of the day, it was worth it and raiding is a big part of the game for me.

There are a few fights where Ret doesn't really shine well in ToT but for most of them, if you can figure out what to do you can do some pretty good damage AND provide amazing utility. If you think you aren't doing well in fights, look up the percentiles on World of Logs and see what the top Rets are doing and try to emulate that. Ask on forums for tips on specific fights. See what gear you should be using, etc. I try and seek out every resource available to me to be able to be as good as I can in my raid group.

Good luck!

EDIT: Also just to prove that you don't have to have relatively recent experience with raids, an old guildie just resubbed and in our old guild we only cleared MSV normal. He was able to find his WW monk a guild to do ToT with and he's at least 4/12 normal by now. Just have to be persistent and look for guilds.

EDIT 2: Also people telling you hybrids have to fill 2 roles, plenty of guilds will let you stick to one role. I have a prot spec that I use but I've only used it on fights we have on farm that are easy. Not every guild will push a dual spec requirement on you.
    Last edited by BloodGutter; 2013-05-12 at 03:11 PM.

Because playing prot is no different from playing ret?
    Because of your attitude.