Dusting off my old rogue

So I haven't seriously played my rogue since Vanilla, looking for some tips.

First of all, what's doing better in PvE right now: assassination or combat? Just dinged 90 and have been running around as assassination.

On that note, could somebody explain the assassination AoE to me? at what point should I switch to FoK + Tempest, in heroics it seems like things die too fast for me to really utilize tempest, and what about maintaining rupture / SnD during AoE? Always? never? is there a breakaway point?
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Both assassination and combat are viable in raid enviroment - assa has a slight better aoe and damage, while the big boost combat gains from 4t15 is extremely theoretical and assumes you don't waste GCDs and such. TL;DR: play the one you like the most.

As for Assassination aoe: forget CT completely. With 2/3 targets don't even use FoK, just do the normal rotation and spread rupture on all mobs. With 4+ targets start using FoK as CP builder, spread Rupture, SnD should be kept up easily via Envenom.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    I would really suggest you Rogue PvP, because I am really fond of Subtlety PvP right now. Sure, we are doing really great damage and control -wise. But the thing I enjoy about the rogue is to know when to use which CC to get away. Not sure of which I like more: successful kill or successful escape!

Perhaps Subtlety will be seen more in PvE, since we got Find Weakness buff. The damage is leaps behind other 2 specs in PvE, but I guess it's pretty much about what spec you are fond the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Both assassination and combat are viable in raid enviroment - assa has a slight better aoe and damage, while the big boost combat gains from 4t15 is extremely theoretical and assumes you don't waste GCDs and such. TL;DR: play the one you like the most.

As for Assassination aoe: forget CT completely. With 2/3 targets don't even use FoK, just do the normal rotation and spread rupture on all mobs. With 4+ targets start using FoK as CP builder, spread Rupture, SnD should be kept up easily via Envenom.
    I see, this elaborates what the sticky was saying and runs completely counter to what other 'guide' sites are saying. So CT is never worth it? Seems like a shitty design but whatever, simplifies things.

If anyone has any other tips for assassination (not already in the sticky) I would appreciate it.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Well, CT is worth to use for sure as sub - but sub isn't worth to use in raid (techincally it does enough dps, but "enough" seems to have become a personal opinion and not an objective thing). Also as combat is useful, but in the end if you want aoe, you go Assassination and you get to do also a lot of single target damage.

As for other tips, my guides covers pretty much everything in an easy way; the sticky goes more in depth and there's everything also there. The standard dps cycle/cd usage hasn't changed much from Cata tbh.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.