How many "true" subscription MMO's are left? Will there be any more?

With the announcement of RIFT going F2P, I will be out of the paying subscription business this fall (when my yearlong subscription for RIFT expires). I'll be happy to get the goodies for a few months and to have people in the leveling zones.

However it got me wondering about the future of the subscription model. Currently my go-to games are EVE and GW2. While I do have subscription to EVE Online, I never pay it as I make enough in game currency to PLEX out two accounts. While I didn't shell out $30, other people did so I could play.

GW2 is B2P, but has a cash shop that I think RIFT is more likely to emulate than the total player economy of EVE. I use in-game currency in GW2 to use the cash shop, thus negating paying real money for vanity/convenience items. However just like EVE, somebody shelled out real money to make the Gems available.

I really hope RIFT does something similar to give earning platinum a motivation.

Other than WoW I cannot think of another subscription MMO where every player in a geographical market (I saw your Asia gotcha coming a mile away) is required to pony up real life cash. I have doubts of ever seeing another subscription MMO launching. Am I wrong?

I'm not sure what business model the Elder Scrolls folks are going which seems to be the current hype machine.

WoW
    Planetside
    Isn't everquest 1 and/or 2? I'm not sure about this
    Asherons Call
    I think firefall will be once its released

All I can think of

Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post
    WoW
    Planetside
    Isn't everquest 1 and/or 2? I'm not sure about this
    Asherons Call
    I think firefall will be once its released

All I can think of
    Dark Age still has a sub.

I really wish Asherons Call would drop the sub fee...I'd be so into that lol

Not really related to Rift, so closing this down. There are a number of threads already discussing subscriptions/F2P in the Video Game forums, so try there.