Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Does Rosetta Stone work?

I see a lot of testimonies on the web but I don't know anyone personally who made it work for them. I need to start brushing up on my French/Japanese and learning Russian for the work I do, so I was wondering if there were people here who were familiar with it (and aren't being paid to say it does work). Does it work or is it like a weight-loss/erectile dysfunction scam?

Its fantastic. Instead of spamming you with info and expecting you to learn it gives you just enough to be able to figure bits out for yourself, the visual representation is pretty decent too, really worth a try. (and no I dont work for them i just found it to do what it advertised, and well)
    Whoops, sig too big

10+ Year Old Account
    Sweet thank you!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a bit on the pricey side, but in my opinion well worth the cost. A lot of the language teachers I know swear by it as a very effective method of picking up a language to a conversational level. Not just that, I own both French and Japanese versions and dip into them to keep my skills in both languages up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

It's...erm "widely available" if cost is a problem too. Usually a sign it's worthy of interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

While I have never used it, my very good friend who took Japanese in college did use it as an aid in his studies. He claimed that using only the program itself wouldn't net you enough experience in some languages and works very well as an aid to a class taught course.

It may also vary by person...but since he is teaching in Japan right now, I tend to believe him.

15+ Year Old Account
    Rosetta Stone program name is based off an actual Rosetta Stone which taught us what Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs.:}
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Rosetta Stone program name is based off an actual Rosetta Stone which taught us what Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs.:}

A little bit obvious there. But yes.

Also, just a warning. Some of the language programs are more comprehensive than others; there are 5 levels of French but only 3 of Greek, for example.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2013-05-17 at 05:15 AM.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I know Italian. I found that using Rosetta stone really did help me fill in the gaps.

10+ Year Old Account
    My friend learned french from it. they suck at everything so i assume it works.

Deleted
    My mother uses it for two different languages she wants to learn, and so far, is really doing fine.
    Seems to be quite good, and way better than just trying to learn via a book etc.

Definitely worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried using the Japanese one... not really great for that. It's using formats that aren't used even in formal speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    It's a bit on the pricey side, but in my opinion well worth the cost. A lot of the language teachers I know swear by it as a very effective method of picking up a language to a conversational level. Not just that, I own both French and Japanese versions and dip into them to keep my skills in both languages up.
    Well, use TPB then? Fairly simple instead of having to pay their ludicrous costs.

Infracted - please do not discuss TPB to circumvent copyright laws
    Last edited by SageKalzi; 2014-11-30 at 10:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Illegal immigration is not a crime.
    Oxymoron.
    Quote Originally Posted by turskanaattori View Post
    What the actual fuck now, internet? Grow a thicker skin and stop being a whiny faggot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SageKalzi View Post
    Well, use ~snippety~ then? Fairly simple instead of having to pay their ludicrous costs.
    Might wanna edit that out. Fairly sure it's against the rules to discuss things like that.
    As for the program itself, I've heard it's really good.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2013-05-17 at 03:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SageKalzi View Post
    Well, use ~snippety~ then? Fairly simple instead of having to pay their ludicrous costs.
    Because piracy is -totally- ethical.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2013-05-17 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBrems View Post
    Might wanna edit that out. Fairly sure it's against the rules to discuss things like that.
    As for the program itself, I've heard it's really good.
    Huh? I'm not linking it or anything, never heard of the rule that we couldn't talk about that site.

Edit: If you can post the rule I'll gladly remove it though.
    Last edited by SageKalzi; 2013-05-17 at 05:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Illegal immigration is not a crime.
    Oxymoron.
    Quote Originally Posted by turskanaattori View Post
    What the actual fuck now, internet? Grow a thicker skin and stop being a whiny faggot.

Don't pay for Rosetta Stone. Use Livemocha.com. Works just like Rosetta stone but is online and free.

10+ Year Old Account
    It works, but you have to keep at it. Its definitely not a scam. I've used the Japanese language system and for the time that I was focused on learning, I was able to learn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the language. And it HELPS it won't do it alone. It also expects you to have some initial knowledge for Japanese (Only one I used)

Overall if you are paying full price I do not think it is worth it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Because piracy is -totally- ethical.
    Ethical, really?