Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    "This player at this website is promoting this specific private server. Lets start a discussion on what we think about him promoting this specific private server."

No, not promoting at all.
    you can see what the thread is about one post above your post.

let a mature discussion begin, without constantly attacking other MMO-C users.

10+ Year Old Account
    Current content ones are not, this one is lvl80. Blizzard wont tak action unless the server is trying to make money out of it without deal with blizzard(which they wont do)

Deleted
    Hope Blizzard shuts it down and sues them. Like in good ol' days.
    Last edited by mmocc53e0de04c; 2013-05-19 at 04:57 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcereria View Post
    Private servers are not disallowed by EU law thus blizzard has no right to challange their right if the server is set in EU.
    That's right. I helped some guys to run a small private server during tbc (300 active accounts), and if I remember correctly private servers are allowed as long as the clients the players are using are not modified to run the game on the server, and you prove that the server itself it's scripted without the use of copyrighted materials (that means emulated). Basically, as long as you don't mess up with Blizzard original stuff you are pretty safe.

EDIT: Oh, and it has to be F2P... making money with someoneelse's product IS illegal
    Last edited by mmoc65ba707d63; 2013-05-19 at 04:56 PM.

How do people even manage to create a private server? Where do they get the software needed to run such a server from?
    I can't imagine that this could leak from Blizzard. Do they get it from less reliable third party partners of Blizzard such as those from China?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    That's only your opinion.

There are millions that think the game is complete crap these days.
    Then don't play it.

Deleted
    What exactly are the legal position of Private servers? I know theyre probably against Blizzards EULA, but thats not the same as being illegal.

As far as I can see, since private servers run on reverse engineered software, a practice which is by no means illegal, and the players are using the clients that Blizzard freely distribute, it seems to me that as long as they don't profit from running the server they aren't really doing anything wrong.

Then again, maybe they are, I'm not a lawyer.

I play on a private vanilla server only because Blizzard does not give me that option. I'd gladly pay a monthly fee for an official classic server.

The amount of people that drop WoW and go to private servers isn't much. I personally could care less if people enjoy playing on a private server that is 3 expansions behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Qoo View Post
    How do people even manage to create a private server? Where do they get the software needed to run such a server from?
    I can't imagine that this could leak from Blizzard. Do they get it from less reliable third party partners of Blizzard such as those from China?
    Packet sniffing and really experienced software developers.

Honestly, watching this Is kinda nostalgic.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's got 9,000 viewers and a $5000 prize pool. No gripes from me. Private servers don't really bug me when they're stuck in the past like this (not that they bug me normally). To me it's like playing Halo 3 online after Halo Reach came out. There's still people playing but it doesn't recreate the experience of being in that actual time period. I don't blame people for wanting to play back in that time. As for ethics in respect to Blizzard, meh. I have a feeling private servers aren't breaking their bank, even when down 1.3(?) million subscribers.
    A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.-George Bernard Shaw

On reckfuls twitch page, you can report it for hacking game client files and promoting something blizzard says is against ToS.

Twitch guidelines say it is bannable

WoTLK was the best expansion pvp/pve wise. As long as blizzard doesn't make an expansion that is as good and successful as it players will still play private wotlk servers even if they are able to play on blizzard servers

the state of mop is really bad right now (classes have been completely demolished and homogenized) game is far from balanced, etc etc etc. As long as the game is a complete piece of garbage people will play private servers, unless wow goes completely free to play

Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    I play on a private vanilla server only because Blizzard does not give me that option. I'd gladly pay a monthly fee for an official classic server.
    How many times have you killed nefarion?

10+ Year Old Account
    Imo, nothing wrong with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Birkhoff View Post
    WoTLK was the best expansion pvp/pve wise. As long as blizzard doesn't make an expansion that is as good and successful as it players will still play private wotlk servers even if they are able to play on blizzard servers

the state of mop is really bad right now (classes have been completely demolished and homogenized) game is far from balanced, etc etc etc. As long as the game is a complete piece of garbage people will play private servers, unless wow goes completely free to play
    Opinion Opinion Opinion Opinion. In not a single place do I see a fact. Neither does it make using a private server acceptable. I might agree with you/them that WOTLK was the best version of WoW (and have done since I played a bit of Cata) but it doesn't mean that circumventing blizzard and using a private server is suddenly ok.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Viled View Post
    On reckfuls twitch page, you can report it for hacking game client files and promoting something blizzard says is against ToS.

Twitch guidelines say it is bannable
    He has hosted another tourny like this one before and he has also spoken with some twitch admins and staff members this isnt really hacking as its not him hosting the server he just livestreams the arena matches really.

Quote Originally Posted by Caersan View Post
    He has hosted another tourny like this one before and he has also spoken with some twitch admins and staff members this isnt really hacking as its not him hosting the server he just livestreams the arena matches really.
    Twitch has a big policy about broadcasting known hacks/exploits. They have suspended and banned before for similar events

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Then don't play it.
    Why is this arguement not acceptable when discussing legacy realms? All the people saying "I hate this idea, I dont want Blizzard to make Vanilla servers", and its apparently not acceptable to tell these people "Well don't play on them then, they won't affect you".

Quote Originally Posted by Viled View Post
    Twitch has a big policy about broadcasting known hacks/exploits. They have suspended and banned before for similar events
    Private servers are not hacks or explots, as has been said in the thread so far.
    Last edited by mmoc4e765b20d3; 2013-05-19 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinnegan View Post
    you can see what the thread is about one post above your post.

let a mature discussion begin, without constantly attacking other MMO-C users.
    You can debate the definition of the word "promote" if you like, but the simple fact is that I didn't know about this until I read your thread. As a direct result of your actions, the number of people who know about what Reckful is doing has increased.

That may not be "promoting", in that it wasn't your intention, but you're certainly advertising his private server, intentionally or otherwise. (This is the origin of sayings to the effect of "All publicity is good publicity", because even if it's negative it still raises awareness.)

*shrug* I don't really care one way or another about his server. It's a violation of Blizzard's terms, and they'll probably shut him down, but I don't really have an issue with the idea of a private server outside of the violations of the ToU. Most of them re-create older patches/expansions, and Blizzard is unwilling to do so, so they're not direct competition (in that the sort of person who would willingly choose to play on a Wrath private server isn't likely to play live if the Wrath server goes away),