Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    An eight-year-old game in its fourth expansion being less popular than the game when it was brand new is not exactly surprising. Neither is it surprising that people don't find it as immersive as it was when it was new (to them).
    Fair enough, though that calls into question all the people saying that the game is better now than it ever was.

Surely the game should be growing in popularity if it better than it was in 2004-10?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    Yes, and I never denied that, but implying that the game is more popular when fewer people were actually playing it is a bit of a false statement.
    Ah yes, my bad.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    Fair enough, though that calls into question all the people saying that the game is better now than it ever was.

Surely the game should be growing in popularity if it better than it was in 2004-10?
    That is not the case at all, just take a look at CoD as to why.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Deleted
    Not really sure what your asking....

Game is a good as it has ever been, so imo it is still in its "Golden Age".

Will YOU ever get back that felling when you first wondered in amazement into Ironforge, or when you killed your first raid boss etc etc

No that will NEVER EVER happen unless you have a terrible accident and all your WoW memories are erased.

10+ Year Old Account

That's a very good point. I understand the game is older, fair enough but saying that it is better than Vanilla and BC because of certain reasons won't work. "Vanilla was unbalanced", well that was just part of the charm the game had. Having a perfectly balanced game such as WoW can actually get boring, then again I've mained rogue since the beginning... Maybe I should shut my mouth since rogues have never really been in a bad spot.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    Because I just can't take people hating on Vanilla when it was far more popular than MoP. I can't enjoy MoP just like I couldn't enjoy Cataclysm, too many decisions have been made that lessen the immersion for me. I've played since 2005 and my god the game has changed for the first most notably starting with LFD... That right there is when I started losing interest in the game.
    Let me give you a hint, your immersion has worn off because you've been playing the game for 8 years.

noooo. they've spoiled people with too many convenient things for far too long. at this point if they ever decided to stop the handholding, they'd risk alienating a lot of the current players. we can only hope that they will have learned what does, and doesn't work while they're developing "Titan".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilzar View Post
    Not really sure what your asking....

Game is a good as it has ever been, so imo it is still in its "Golden Age".

Will YOU ever get back that felling when you first wondered in amazement into Ironforge, or when you killed your first raid boss etc etc

No that will NEVER EVER happen unless you have a terrible accident and all your WoW memories are erased.
    Can you do that for me? I'd love that.

P.S. 3000th post!
    Hey everyone

Just like it's foolish to stay old stuff is always better than new stuff, it's equally foolish to assume that new stuff is always superior to old stuff.

Sometimes things get better as they change, sometimes they get worse.

This idea that WoW is always the best it's ever been is silly. In some regards it's gotten better, in others it's gotten worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    And all LFR is, is the same raid but for retards.
    One and only one warning: We will not associate LFR with the word 'retards'.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niyari View Post
    noooo. they've spoiled people with too many convenient things for far too long. at this point if they ever decided to stop the handholding, they'd risk alienating a lot of the current players. we can only hope that they will have learned what does, and doesn't work while they're developing "Titan".
    I think that plays a huge role in it and that's why I know they can't go back and I understand that, besides there is always a private server for me if I want to anyways.

@MoanaLisa: Understood.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    That is not the case at all, just take a look at CoD as to why.
    Yet people still defend the game with "no one else has 8m subscribers!"

Yet people still defend the game with "no one else has 8m subscribers!"
    Well it is true isn't it? XD
    I for one really don't care for numbers, just enjoyment.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Birkhoff View Post
    Is the golden age of WoW truly gone? Days that are never coming back?

What do you guys think?
    Will it ever be like TBC again? Unfortunately not. The game is still good, but it was pure GOLD in those days.

10+ Year Old Account

Not necessarily because 'better' is a completely subjective frame in which to describe something. My 'better' is probably different than everyone else's 'better' or 'worse' for that matter.

EDIT: I would be remiss if I didn't add that non-subjective things like increased competition from other games, the way types of games move in and out of fashion and any number of things that happen outside of the game itself matter as well.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-05-20 at 09:46 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Wow was one of the first few good quality MMOs back when MMOs where starting to become super popular with things like UO, DAoC, Everquest etc...

Good quality mmo: had a story more than background lore for races and people had been able to live that story through warcraft 1-2-3
    Gameplay was fluid compared to games like UO or DAOC
    Questing was the thing when it came out
    leveling up was all it was, endgame content was minimal in most MMO. people were enjoying leveling up.
    Talent system felt like it gave you choices while leveling (no choice for endgame though)
    you felt stronger every level
    community was more sociable. now all that's left are bullies, liars, ninja's, trolls and assholes. no one tries to make friend anymore (a minority only does)

what wow is now... is a completely different beast. I wish I could go back to those days... actually before wow when leveling in DAoC was bomb but I'm the problem, I changed as a gamer. I feel like I don't have enough time and everything is taking too long and I rush through games instead of enjoying like back then.

TLR I think its just the MMO genre that is dying.
    Last edited by Damax; 2013-05-20 at 10:07 PM.

Of course it won't. It's an old game. There are 0 games that are > 8 years old, and in their "Golden Age".

Then why did you play if it sucked so god damn hard? Here's the difference, end game is what you made it back then, end game for me in vanilla was running 5 mans. If I wasn't running 5 mans I'd find something else to do such as World PvP. I wasn't trying to be the best player I could, I enjoyed the game for what it was and you can't do that anymore. You hit 90, you run shitty 5 mans that are trivial and require absolutely no brain and you do some LFR... Like what the fuck? And all LFR is, is the same raid but for ------.
    I feel pretty much the same. I never had any epics in Vanilla, and I was OK with that. Me and my guildies had fun running 5 mans. They were challenging and took up a good amount of time. They were basically raids for 5 people, they required coordination and at least a small understanding of your class and role. I went into MC once and downed Lucifron, that was enough for me and I never did a 40 man raid again.

Now what is there for a person like me to do? 5 mans are easy and there are only a few. LFR, Pet Battles and dailies are a joke.

I remember these same discussions when DAoC was in the middle of it's 4th xpac. Only the sum total of every server would have fit on one WoW server. Games definitely age, and WoW is certainly one of them, and people are definitely in their right to remember and enjoy whatever aspect they want to.

But y'all who are baffled by us who think MoP is the bees knees and calling us dummies for not wanting to go back to Vanilla have to remember that your reaction to our desires is the same as our reaction to yours. Neither side is logical, because its purely emotional. Except people who say there are fewer things to do - because that's just inarguable. The offerings might be less fun or more repetitive or boring... but not in totality less.

There are so many more factors at play than just quality- community, culture, market, competition... it's not a black-and-white "Well, if it's gaining subs, the game's quality is better and if it's losing subs, the quality is worse" problem, especially with something as subjective as a game.