Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    What I can't wait for is the days after the Xbox One is released. After all of the fanboys and little kids whose parents were too stupid to realize their kid was asking for a shit console, they realize how screwed over they were, and the internet turns into a fiery shitstorm as a result.

You'll have the butthurt fanboys screaming at the top of their caps locked lungs that their systems isn't working, the diehard fanboys screaming at the butthurt ones that the Xbox One is still awesome, and the parents shouting at how their kid is crying their eyes out because the console they bought with no knowledge of it is bending them over the couch and doing exactly what you'd think it'd do.

I suggest everyone locate the best forums to visit, buy tons of junkfood, take a week or so off of work, and watch the storm rage on. Really, I'm sure it will be a million times more entertaining than the TV that Microsoft so richly supports.
    Yeah, none of what you said is going to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't see the ban system as a big deal personally, especially in comparison to everything else recently, maybe because most of the gaming platforms have had the same system for years now so I'm used to it.

Not to defend them in anyway but people have long complained about the community on the 360 and this is one of the fundamental ways to resolve that, remove the toxic players. There's definitely more appropriate punishments for certain offenses i.e. verbal abuse should ban you from communicating rather than your entire account. But then again it wouldn't suprise me if they come back in a few days to correct themselves in their 'add something positive - make the negative thing slightly worse' method of clarification and say global account bans are for the worst of the worst.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like this is an out of the world question, but what restrictions are we talking exactly for the xbox one? My friend is telling me there are no fees for playing used games and there is a lot of misconception with the xbox one. He tells me the only reason why the ps3 is going to win is because of the price and that's it. And my friend is pro xbox/nintendo but hates sony so he may be very biased and is talking shit or he could be telling the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Do you have any objective data to prove this, or are you just going to parrot the same thing over and over. Because Microsoft already has this in the XBL marketplace, and it's not driven down prices at all.

So a game isn't supposed to promote longterm play? I generally look for games that are going to provide some kind of longterm entertainment rather than a play and forget title.

Also, why hasn't digital books brought down the price of books significantly? Or digital music? Albums and books, from what I've seen, still cost about the same digitally as they do physically.

And there's no guarantee that you'll buy a car from the same manufacturer either, or that you'll buy a new car, or that you'll even buy a car (may decide to use public transportation).

Used games do provide a point of sale though, and that's through DLC and through turning someone into a fan of a franchise. DLC sales on used games isn't uncommon, and having someone discover a franchise. Anecdotal example: I had no inclination to play Saints Row, never did. I purchased Saints Row 3 on a whim when it was on deep sale (used game essentially). Know what? I loved the game. Picked up all the DLC for it, and have Saints Row 4 pre-purchased. Used sales do end up turning into monetization opportunities.

Mind you, I'm discussing physical purchases in the gaming industry, not digital purchases in the bit you quoted. Physical purchases absolutely do suffer wear and tear and can break, just as any other physical retail item can.
    Your arguments are full of irrelevant diversions. This paper says that the removal of the used game market in Japan would mean that the profit-maximizing price is 33% lower than the current price.

On my argument that games quickly get consumed after which the user derives no further utility, you say that games shouldn't be made this way. I would agree. But that doesn't change the fact that this is essentially how all console games are made. Many console games are single player experiences, unlike Blizzard which has a laser-like focus on endgame. Even many PC games have failed due to a lack of endgame content, and hence replayability. There isn't much that can be done to extend the life of a single-player game. To have replayability and an endgame, multiplayer is required. That's why all Blizzard games are now always online. So if you complain about lack of replayability, well, don't complain about online requirements. And Microsoft is trying to push that too.

Then you talk about books and music. How is that relevant to the lack of replayability argument? In fact, digital distribution has led music prices to dramtically fall. Then you move on to people not necessarily buying new cars, which is another distraction that is completely unrelated and irrelevant to anything I've said. So I don't see what your point is. My point was simply that the nature of video games is different from cars in such a way that used games have a major effect on the video game industry compared to used cars on the car industry.

Then you talk about DLC. You're right that developers make DLC to extend the life of games, at least partly because of resale. Which is another reason to kill resale. The problem is that Microsoft isn't doing enough to kill resale, while Sony is pandering to the angry mob of gamers. DLC is even worse than used games. DLC is a massive ripoff. Preorder bonuses are completely ridiculous in both ripping people off and wasting developer resources on making content that is arbitrarily restricted by the physical store you preorder at for no good reason. This is sort of shit we have to deal with because of physical stores and used games. Also, while not caused by used games, microtransactions have ruined the MMO genre, allowing those with more money to buy much greater conveniences and power increases.

Finally, physical disc suffer only to a small extent from wear and tear. But they can be fixed quite cheaply. Another reason to kill physical discs.
    Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2013-06-15 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tjanson View Post
    Yeah, none of what you said is going to happen.
    http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/...riate-content/

Very possible, there is a MS patent that is supposed to use the kinect to estimate the age of the user and block content accordingly, now that you are forced to have it plugged in all those games parents buy their kids(GTA, COD and other 18+ games) have the potential to be blocked.
    Now IF they try this you'll then have a shit ton of games that will have been registered on accounts which they will struggle to return because of the DRM

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    I feel like this is an out of the world question, but what restrictions are we talking exactly for the xbox one? My friend is telling me there are no fees for playing used games and there is a lot of misconception with the xbox one. He tells me the only reason why the ps3 is going to win is because of the price and that's it. And my friend is pro xbox/nintendo but hates sony so he may be very biased and is talking shit or he could be telling the truth.
    You have to be online. You have to have a camera pointed at you at all times, you have to pay an additional fee to be able to play used games, meaning it's probably going to be less expensive if you buy a new game. The gaming system is worse than PS4's. The price. All Xbox has are some idiotic TV settings which probably won't work in countries outside of USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Endre View Post
    You have to be online. You have to have a camera pointed at you at all times, you have to pay an additional fee to be able to play used games, meaning it's probably going to be less expensive if you buy a new game. The gaming system is worse than PS4's. the price. All Xbox has are some idiotic TV settings which probably won't work in countries outside of USA.
    Add to that: the games and the console itself are region locked (e.g. if you buy an Xbox in the US and then take it to an unsupported country like South Korea, it will cease to be playable. Seriously).

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Tired lol ill fix that typo and ya can't wait to to see that video.

---------- Post added 2013-06-15 at 03:07 AM ----------

Ok don't take this the wrong way but did you copy and paste that from Totalbiscuit's video about used games.

You do know a lot of people buy used cars more then new because they cost less right.
    Also to have a car repaired New Or Used people go to 2nd hand places to get them fixed alot and not the dealer because 9 times out of 10 its cheaper.
    If you buy a car for 10k and resell it for 5k you make back 50% of the cost that is the same as me going to gamestop getting a 60$ game and reselling it to them for 30$. Also here lately Gamestop has been giving 30$ for new titles that release and that last's around 2 months.

Now tell me why without blaming it on used games how come a game on XBL cost's 60$ and it cost 20$ in the store....ill tell your why because MS has no competition on the Xbox therefor they can get away with selling it at new or high price. Hell the original Army of Two is 20$ on the XBL store but yet in Gamestop a Used copy is 2$.

I hate to bust your bubble but Used games dose not hurt Game Developers as much as they want you to believe also a few game company's like Take Two have even said they do not care about used games.

If I go out right now and get a Used KOA and like it good chance I will get the DLC/Online Pass's and that is where they make money off me. Sorry but Game Developers can not have there cake and eat it to. If you want me to buy new games and not used sell them cheaper and let me return them if they are shit If I was one of the people who got ACM I would have been pissed.

Ill just leave with a quote from this http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...for-used-games

So I hate to burst everyone's bubble but the used game fee is going in Microsoft's Pocket and not Game Publisher.
    So that means Microsoft is charging you both a Used Game fee and a XboxLive fee and that is what we like to call Double Dipping.
    Had made 4 arguments about cars, only the most obvious one (wear and tear) was mentioned by Total Biscuit. But Total Biscuit is totally right on used games and worth listening to. You're also completely wrong on competition. Microsoft doesn't set the prices, developers do. And developers compete with each other.

Oh and I didn't forget, where are all those economics papers about used games that you mentioned? Show me. I want to see them. No, Google doesn't do a good job at finding them: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=economics+used+video+games

You said there are economics papers on this topic. So where are the economics papers?
    Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2013-06-15 at 03:57 PM.

All hail to our PC overlords.

Xbox One Games At E3 Were Running On Windows 7 With Nvidia GTX Cards (...and intel CPU - it's SB-E mobo). For those saying - but but it's dev kit - yeah sure...

"The games they were showing off on stage were running on comparable dev kit specs to the actual home consoles"

Last I checked, a 3930K + 680 isn't comparable in specs to an 8 core Jaguar + 7790.

And source : http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbo...rds-56737.html

Also photo album http://imgur.com/a/NbGau

Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    I suggest everyone locate the best forums to visit, buy tons of junkfood, take a week or so off of work, and watch the storm rage on. Really, I'm sure it will be a million times more entertaining than the TV that Microsoft so richly supports.
    /gasp

You know... I haven't really even thought of launch week in that respect. thanks! :P

---------- Post added 2013-06-15 at 04:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post

Very possible, there is a MS patent that is supposed to use the kinect to estimate the age of the user and block content accordingly, now that you are forced to have it plugged in all those games parents buy their kids(GTA, COD and other 18+ games) have the potential to be blocked.
    Now IF they try this you'll then have a shit ton of games that will have been registered on accounts which they will struggle to return because of the DRM
    Verne Troyer is going to publicly ream the *&#$ out of Microsoft if that happens. :P
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2013-06-15 at 04:01 PM.

Here's a question for everyone hating on the Xbox One. Would you agree with killing the disc and the disc drive and going completely digital next console generation?

---------- Post added 2013-06-15 at 04:06 PM ----------

And Sony has a patent for blocking used games: http://au.gamespot.com/news/sony-pat...-games-6401992

---------- Post added 2013-06-15 at 04:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    There is no fee to play used games on Xbox One. But you typically do have to buy the used game from an authorized reseller.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

He's right, the used games restrictions from Microsoft are rather half-arsed. It doesn't kill used games. In fact, the difference between this and PS4 is not too large.
    Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2013-06-15 at 04:13 PM.

Deleted
    Dunno if this has been posted here yet, but....

http://24.media.tumblr.com/bc1c78e83...b9mo1_1280.jpg
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/db4979b9a...b9mo2_1280.jpg

Rumours are circulating that the demos that Microsoft allowed people to play on at E3 were not running on an Xbox One, but instead running on high-end PCs with nVidia Titan graphics cards.
    If this is the case, they were running the games on a system that is around 3x faster than the Xbox One.

Quote Originally Posted by lyxx View Post
    <snip>
    Oops, too late >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Deepstrider View Post

Rumours are circulating that the demos that Microsoft allowed people to play on at E3 were not running on an Xbox One, but instead running on high-end PCs with nVidia Titan graphics cards.
    If this is the case, they were running the games on a system that is around 3x faster than the Xbox One.

Oops, too late >.<
    Now there are some awesome photos! ^_^

Can't get more damning than that! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Deepstrider View Post

Oops, too late >.<
    Yes, it's sneaky, dishonest and deceptive. But it's also just noise. It's not going to affect anything. No one is going to care 2 weeks from now.

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    And Sony has a patent for blocking used games: http://au.gamespot.com/news/sony-pat...-games-6401992
    i know sony have a patent on blocking used games, they have stated that for the PS4 this won't be used(it might never see the light of day)
    On the other hand we know MS are shafting people(whether you admit it or not) we also know that kinect HAS to be connected, and you have to ask your self, why?
    If all it's for is being able to shout xbox on to switch it on then that is a rather flimsy excuse and there would be nor reason to disallow disconnecting it and using the power button.
    We do however know that it can identify you visually as the user of the account, it can tell if you are a minor and if you have people that are unauthorized to watch content(movies and such ) and given the way MS are acting it makes the worst case sound increasingly plausible.

Here's a question for everyone hating on the Xbox One. Would you agree with killing the disc and the disc drive and going completely digital next console generation?
    Digital games, I dont mind. Heck alot of my games are on steam. Having to be online or check in online every day to play said games is something I hate however.

The difference is that Sony didn't force that on us while M$ is trying to ram it down our throat.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

i know sony have a patent on blocking used games, they have stated that for the PS4 this won't be used(it might never see the light of day)
    On the other hand we know MS are shafting people(whether you admit it or not) we also know that kinect HAS to be connected, and you have to ask your self, why?
    If all it's for is being able to shout xbox on to switch it on then that is a rather flimsy excuse and there would be nor reason to disallow disconnecting it and using the power button.
    We do however know that it can identify you visually as the user of the account, it can tell if you are a minor and if you have people that are unauthorized to watch content(movies and such ) and given the way MS are acting it makes the worst case sound increasingly plausible.
    "MS are shafting people(whether you admit it or not)". Disagree.

It's obvious that the reason Kinect has to always be on is because they want the voice and gesture commands to always work. So developers can always assume that players have access to them.

I don't think it's workable. I doubt they can accurately predict the age of a 17 vs 18 year old person. If they do this, it would be a really dick move though.

Yes, it's sneaky, dishonest and deceptive. But it's also just noise. It's not going to affect anything. No one is going to care 2 weeks from now.
    Yup - they're way overshadowed by the worse things Microsoft is implementing. But it's still very fun... these photos are just sprinkles on the cake of evil. :P

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Yup - they're way overshadowed by the worse things Microsoft is implementing. But it's still very fun... these photos are just sprinkles on the cake of evil. :P
    The cake is a lie

but its so delicious

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post
    The difference is that Sony didn't force that on us while M$ is trying to ram it down our throat.
    That, and they may simply have patented it, anticipating an industry shift - but noticed the massive MASSIVE public reaction towards the Xbone policies and said "Oh spit! They really don't want that? OK - Lets not implement that!"

One calls that "Making smart business calls" and "preventing mistakes before they happen". Microsoft apparently doesn't see anything it does as a mistake...