Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    But then the non-gamers will see the console as another added expense that they won't use. They can get the same benefit from devices meant for what they are meant for, without worthless items forced into it.
    This is the issue that Microsoft needs to overcome through marketing and crafting their message carefully. They can absolutely advertise it as two things in one, and depending on their price point can make a convincing argument for purchasing it as an entertainment system. There are more than a few people who have a PS4 because it plays blue rays, and gives them access to things like Netflix.

I'm aware that people like to have a lot of their things piled up into a single package these days, but you're just wasting money if you're not going to use all of it. That's why people who simply want a console will buy a WII U or PS4.
    The Xbox 360 and PS3 currently have a ton of non-gaming centric capabilities, and the Wii U has a number of non-gaming centric capabilities as well (IIRC it has a quasi DVR feature). As far as we know, the PS4 is going to carry these features over and then bump up the social media element, and we can only assume there will be other non-gaming centric features as well.

It's rare that people use every feature of a product they purchase. I've yet to use my PS3 as a blue ray player, but it has that capability. I don't think I've ever participated in online play on my PS2, but it has the capability. My phone has dozens of built in features I've never taken advantage of, and thousands more that I could take advantage of with apps, but don't do so. That doesn't make any of these products a bad purchase for me, because I found enough value in the features I will/do use to justify the purchase of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the money concerned, I doubt it's a very good idea.

You'd need a sub fee for certain aspects of the machine and since all you're doing is essentially using your current cable TV service, it's just another added fee. I'd presume the whole NFL thing will also require a fee or subscription.

A $100 Apple/Google TV device or potentially $600 box with subscription fees tacked on.

Quote Originally Posted by Xl House lX View Post
    I'm sure it'll have support for indie developers, hell its got Minecraft on the 360 as it stands.
    In all honesty, grabbing a port of 6th best selling PC title and at the time, ~45th best selling video game of all time (currently 22nd) does not tell much about indie support.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, but when it's only going to tack onto the original price of an already pricy game system, a lot of people won't want in on it, not to mention the extra cost of being forced to buy the Kinect.

Now, if they sold a One without all of the TV addition BS then I could see people buying it. But even then, there's the 24-hour online check, Kinect needing to always be on, middle finger to Indie developers, etc.
    How is microsoft giving the middle finger to indie developers?

I agree with edge that's not a console. It's basically an inferior pc that makes you pay a subscription to use windows 8.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    How is microsoft giving the middle finger to indie developers?

I agree with edge that's not a console. It's basically an inferior pc that makes you pay a subscription to use windows 8.
    http://www.shacknews.com/article/793...-publish-games

and

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-vows-to-...-one-510129167

So I have no idea what's going on anymore! \o/ Kind of a trend with Xbone atm.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2013-06-03 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Totori View Post

and

The story of the Xbox One: Which statement will Microsoft contradict this week!?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Totori View Post

and

This is the frustrating thing, all the hubbub before the reveal is understandable, at that point it was conjecture and rumour mongering, but the reveal should have answered peoples fears, instead it just added more and ever since they have just constantly contradicted each other, a tweet will be posted then undermined by someone else, then a rumour will spread and it wont get discussed by microsoft or will have a vague "we'll let you know". Shambles really.

Erm, first one mentions they'll explore new business models. It's just the press making a big deal out of evasive answers. And tbh while I hate the sensationalism chase it's probably a really good thing in this case. Rumor "mongering" is abused too much to increase hype by companies, good time to backfire like hell on one of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by abijax View Post
    evasive answers..
    You can't blame the press. It's like trying to cover Mitt Romney running for president.

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    The difference in the PS3 came out when Blu-Ray was new as did the PS2 with DVD, so everyone was going to buy one anyways. Everything the Xbone has added in most people can already do or have (or can buy for much cheaper).

Also remember at the PS3's release and for a good while after there wasn't that much of a cost difference between a blu-ray player and a PS3 so it made sense. The stuff the Xbone can do also you can pretty much get for dirt cheap already compared to what it'll be priced at.
    Another thing though; Netflix's largest viewer base is on PS 3, despite debuting for consoles on the Xbox 360. The PS3 viewer base is larger than its PC user base.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Another thing though; Netflix's largest viewer base is on PS 3, despite debuting for consoles on the Xbox 360. The PS3 viewer base is larger than its PC user base.
    maybe because pc has more tv streaming options.. pretty sure xbox does too.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    maybe because pc has more tv streaming options.. pretty sure xbox does too.
    Considering how large the potential PC user base is, it should be naturally larger. This still points towards a gigantic number of people making use of the console as a multimedia entertainment device, rather than purely as a games console.

I'm intrigued as to how they are going to market the Xbox One outside of the USA (and maybe Canada). Unless Microsoft has a licence to show Netflix etc outside the USA (they'd be the only service to be able to do that) then that feature is as good as useless. The only people I know that follow NFL over here are a couple of American ex-pats, and while hockey is somewhat popular in some cities, hardly anybody watches it in comparison to football or rugby. The only reason the Superbowl gets any air-time at all is because a commercial broadcaster needs some content to fill the 2am-6am slot on that night.

Unless they can get licensing for English Premier League, Bundesliga, La Ligue, La Liga, UEFA Champions' League and the European Cup, and somehow wrangle the rights to broadcast Netflix over here, all that is left of the Xbox is a less powerful system than the PS4 (so they can't even use that marketing trick) that tracks everything you do (they might have to remove that to be allowed to sell them in Germany for example) and has to be online every day. You can get a bluray player for 50 odd euros nowadays so even that functionality is not needed. And I don't see how what the Xbox One brings to the table that is in any way or form an attractive offer over here. Especially not for the price they are aiming for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering how large the potential PC user base is, it should be naturally larger. This still points towards a gigantic number of people making use of the console as a multimedia entertainment device, rather than purely as a games console.
    I still think xbone is going to fail miserably at their all in one entertainment center in the long term. You can't have a jail-locked, walled garden with a fee and call it the one shop center for entertainment. That's like AOL making a return and trying to compete with firefox and google chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    I still think xbone is going to fail miserably at their all in one entertainment center in the long term. You can't have a jail-locked, walled garden with a fee and call it the one shop center for entertainment. That's like AOL making a return and trying to compete with firefox and google chrome.
    It's really hard to judge the long term, but I seriously doubt it'll fail. Whether or not it'll do better than the PS4 is another question altogether, but the Xbox already has a large enough, built-in audience of gamers who crave the cutting edge of visuals and mainstream gameplay. They'll pretty much guarantee it succeeds.

If Microsoft does make some serious deals with European football (soccer) leagues, they'll pretty much guarantee themselves an audience that a lot of consoles have only touched on in the past. While riding EA's ass crack is obnoxious to most hardcore gamers, myself included, the sheer fact that they've shown themselves to be the Jock Box, means they'll make money. EA brings a lot of huge franchises with it, most of which are known for their yearly updates, but almost all of which manage to sell extremely high volumes.

Sure, there'll be used game rage to start off with, but I'm betting they'll come up with a solution along the lines of increased rental game availability and the like. Expect to see full games up for rent in the form of time-locked digital downloads, for a start.

...generally speaking, your PS3 is hooked up to your living room TV (or wherever you normally watch TV/Movies) - chances are your PC isn't hooked up to that same TV.

Deleted
    uk tv rights for the premier league (english football) between sky and BT is £3 billion for 3 years.. good luck getting deals for that and we have practically zero fantasy leagues here.

(and thats also one of the "big" 4 leagues in europe.. england, italy, spain, germany)
    Last edited by mmoccc0b2dd691; 2013-06-03 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    ...generally speaking, your PS3 is hooked up to your living room TV (or wherever you normally watch TV/Movies) - chances are your PC isn't hooked up to that same TV.
    The amount of people who watch Netflix on laptops is pretty huge. A TV isn't a necessity or major part in the counting. As I pointed out, it still doesn't explain the discrepancies in viewer counts - if anything, the 360 should realistically have the larger audience, but it doesn't.

Not sure if it matters to anyone and don't take it as bashing the XboxOne but a update on my post about IGN's Versus's Ps4 Vs XboxOne Pre-E3 poll. Feel free to take this with a gain of salt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiLefY9uoxY Is the video and watch it to get the official numbers there was over 300k votes total.

In Conference the Ps4 Won
    In Controller The Ps4 Won
    In Best Name The Ps4 Won
    In Overall The Ps4 Won.

Now like I said take this with a gain of salt but I hope MS won't and will change and rethink a lot of things for there upcoming system.

I also want to be clear I am not bashing the XboxOne nore trying to start a Console Vs Console argument.

I am just mainly pointing out the IGN poll they did on youtube and the only thing that was close in votes was the controller.

I know people are going to shoot this down because IGN did it but those people should Ignore that its IGN and just look at the numbers it clearly shows people are disappointed in what Microsoft has done so far.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-06-03 at 07:37 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    no idea how the ps4 could have won the controller vote.. xbox controller is like one of its only pro's imo.