Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    In the past if you were dumb enough you didint survive. These days even the Dumb ones can live fine, then when you add to that that intelligent women has less offspring it is no wonder really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ridiculous, we're more smarter than we've ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by umppa View Post
    In the past if you were dumb enough you didint survive. These days even the Dumb ones can live fine, then when you add to that that intelligent women has less offspring it is no wonder really.
    Ikr. Idiocracy ftw? The only thing that movie was missing was the religion element, since religious fundamentalists have a tonnnnn of children (ex: the Duggars).

Ridiculous, we're more smarter than we've ever been.
    Oh god I want to sig this.

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    We of the master race of PC gamers need to reverse this trend by having at least eight children each. Get to work. In a century, they will thank us.
    ^^ this I shall breed gods.
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Notos View Post
    IQ tests are good at measuring how good you are at taking IQ tests, and not very good for measuring anything that actually matters. Who takes them seriously anymore?
    IQ tests are actually a pretty good measurement of someone's ability at puzzle solving. Being good at puzzle solving can be useful in various facets of life, in everything ranging from your social life to doing your job properly. It doesn't matter if you're in a job that requires little or no education, whether you're the world's leading scientist, or whether you're somewhere in between. A good head for puzzle solving can always be of great use somewhere along the line.

But just being good at puzzle solving alone won't get you very far, as there are just so many other things that matter in life. For instance you could have the highest IQ in the world, while simultaneously being the most socially awkward person on the planet. So while IQ tests actually do measure something of importance, they're far from being a comprehensive measurement stick for a person's worth.

15+ Year Old Account
    Kids eat glue

valley girls (not explanation needed there)

life is about 80% automated in the 21st century and everything else is fast, quick, and easy.

We praise losers and teach our youth that even when you lose you're still a winner. (i.e. no one thrives for achievements or analyzes their current situation anymore)

Our hands are held (like a child being held by an adult) in everything we do now leaving us to never have to analyze or solve problems on our own; think current state of gaming especially MMO questing.

The cold war has ended, so we no longer have a desire for education in America

^^^the above are a few reasons why we're dumbing down. ^^^

I think the fact that many spend a huge chunk of their free time on social media sites isn't helping. They can't engage in any sort of intelligent discourse on twitter and facebook and it's forcing them to speak in snippets and blurbs without forming complete thoughts. Just my take on it anyway. I don't know about this whole "last century" business.

We've moved away from books and print media and onto twitter and reddit. It might really show in the next generation. At least we're getting rid of discrimination and racism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterpd85 View Post
    Kids eat glue

valley girls (not explanation needed there)

life is about 80% automated in the 21st century and everything else is fast, quick, and easy.

We praise losers and teach our youth that even when you lose you're still a winner. (i.e. no one thrives for achievements or analyzes their current situation anymore)

Our hands are held (like a child being held by an adult) in everything we do now leaving us to never have to analyze or solve problems on our own; think current state of gaming especially MMO questing.

The cold war has ended, so we no longer have a desire for education in America

^^^the above are a few reasons why we're dumbing down. ^^^

Why does video gaming have anything to do with us being dumbed down?
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    'Murica ?
    /10 chars

It disturbs me that there aren't more people in this thread questioning just about everything about the study. The whole thing is scientifically shady and wholly sensationalist. Maybe this thread is proving the study right. Either that or people like talking about divisive topics and like putting labels on people and sorting them into specific groups of their choosing. The gross generalizations and stereotyping in this thread is pretty disgusting. It's like a bunch of people here haven't socialized outside of their comfort zone in years, if it all.

Really though, I really hope no one is taking it seriously.
    Last edited by link4117; 2013-05-27 at 01:05 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Time to purchase stock in Brawndo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by link4117 View Post
    It disturbs me that more people in this thread aren't questioning just about everything about the study. The whole thing is scientifically shady and wholly sensationalist. Maybe this thread is proving the study right. Either that or people like talking about divisive topics and like putting labels on people and sorting them into specific groups of their choosing. The gross generalizations and stereotyping in this thread is pretty disgusting. It's like a bunch of people here haven't socialized outside of their comfort zone in years, if it all.

Really though, I really hope no one is taking it seriously.
    I'm not. I just find it funny there's some subtle vague comments about their entertainment being too stupid for them in their eyes.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...180634194.html

I can see that occurring. Women are attracted to strong men that make them feel safe. They go for dumb, aggressive brutes. Nerdy, brainy guys get selected out. Attitude and confidence take priority over consideration and brains. Over 100 years, the average IQ drops.
    A new study comes out saying most everything all time. Some turn out to be right, Most turn out to be partially right, a few turn out to be so wrong it isn't even funny. It's not much to worry about.

The points the OP raises however are something all together. One the idea that strong guys are neither intelligent nor kind or otherwise good people. Two that smart people aren't found attractive. Three the idea women like men that are strong, dumb and horrible. All these assumptions are gross generalizations not to mention insults both women and a large amount of the male population as well.

Most ludicrously of all it implies that dumb people have dumb babies and smart people have smart babies. Intelligence is not reliant on genetics nor does the IQ of parents impact in any meaningful manner the children's.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Yeah but if your hypothesis is true, it wouldn't have suddenly changed. Since the researchers are basing their data on a meta-analysis, and can't really control for fallibility of instruments used 100 years ago, I think there's reason to doubt both the data and the conclusions.
    Either way any decent to good knowledge person (talking here about IQ as well as how much did he learn and so on) can only be happy that the average IQ drops in the general population. It means the brainy guys can dominate and rule easyer the rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't 100 on the IQ scale supposed to be the average individual of our current day... so doesn't it scale smoothly over time so the average IQ is always 100? I feel a little confused.

This is mainly due to our educational system. Watch this video. I rather have this video explain it to you than typing it all.

I have high iq, i dont have friends nor girlfriend...
    I bet they prefer big muscular boys or something without brains nor feelings...

Quote Originally Posted by Interitus View Post
    I have high iq, i dont have friends nor girlfriend...
    I bet they prefer big muscular boys or something without brains nor feelings...
    Maybe the way you behave turns them off for other reasons. Maybe it isn't because they prefer other things but rather that you don't make yourself available and aren't open minded enough to accept them into your life? Maybe you aren't unwilling to look at the world from their point of view and always want them to look at it from your point of view? Maybe is it not them who need to change but it is you?

No offense, I don't know you so I'm just basically just playing the devil's advocate in here. However in most situations that I've have witnessed in life this to happens to be the case.
    Last edited by crzyman007; 2013-05-27 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crzyman007 View Post
    Maybe they don't like robotic nerds? Maybe the way you behave turns them off for other reasons. Maybe it isn't because they prefer other things but rather that you don't make yourself available and aren't open minded enough to accept them into your life? Maybe you aren't unwilling to look at the world from their point of view and always want them to look at it from your point of view? Maybe is it not them who need to change but it is you?

No offense I don't know you so I'm just basically just playing the devil's advocate in here. However in most situations that I've have witnessed in life this to happens to be the case.
    Im bad socialy, finding/getting friends are hard
    Can never find one like me:/

Quote Originally Posted by Interitus View Post
    Im bad socialy, finding/getting friends are hard
    Can never find one like me:/
    Then you need to improve on that. Expand your awareness, learn new things, find new hobbies, etc. Also you will never find anyone 100% like you. That's why all humans are different. Nor will you ever find someone who will agree with you all the time.
    Last edited by crzyman007; 2013-05-27 at 10:30 AM.