Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How LFR has changed. / LFR loot problems

I cannot find the specifc post, being so long ago... but when LFR first came out. Did anyone else remember Blizzard posting that. During vanilla no one saw 40 man naxx, no one in bc saw sunwell, and very very few saw LK. They then went on to explain how they wanted people to be able to play wow, but follow the story to the end. Instead of having to click the fountain in Dalaran to watch the end cut scene, they could experience it themselves.

I'm 100% positive they said something along these lines, im just having a hell of time finding it.

Apart from that, they went from wanting to let casual players who don't get to see the epic conclusion raiders see able to see it too, but instead they made this half-assed catch up system or a loot pinata as i like to call it. Does anyone see people actually enjoying the raid for what it is? All I see, on release week of a patch is people complaining about gold / not getting loot and not caring about the story at all. I'm not saying all are like this... but this "vast" majority they speak of, that wanted to / want to see the end conclusion is very much so like this.

Just pisses me off, that even after LFD tool and them acknowledging that it hurts server community, they make LFR and turn it into a loot pinata instead of what they made it to be from the start. I'm starting to really wish, they improved on the LFG tool / UI and tried to promote server pugging for normal's like they had tried to in the past. Players that don't have time to raid (which i have hard time understanding, there is bench spots EVERYWHERE / 6 hour a week raid guilds.. etc etc). IF they want to see the story, I feel like the loot in LFR at the current state it is in should be blue gear with the stats it currently has, and the current title of LFR on the gear(everything on the gear stays the same it just is a blue item like it should be ). There is nothing epic about LFR.

Maybe i'm just annoyed at the lack of challenge in LFR for the rewards given.

Deleted
    dont we have enough posts on mmo slagging off LFR, without starting yet another?
    i couldnt care less if there's a "story" involved or not & never have been.
    Last edited by mmoc4e24d898ce; 2013-06-01 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    I cannot find the specifc post, being so long ago... but when LFR first came out. Did anyone else remember Blizzard posting that. During vanilla no one saw 40 man naxx, no one in bc saw sunwell, and very very few saw LK. They then went on to explain how they wanted people to be able to play wow, but follow the story to the end. Instead of having to click the fountain in Dalaran to watch the end cut scene, they could experience it themselves.

I'm 100% positive they said something along these lines, im just having a hell of time finding it.

Apart from that, they went from wanting to let casual players who don't get to see the epic conclusion raiders see able to see it too, but instead they made this half-assed catch up system or a loot pinata as i like to call it. Does anyone see people actually enjoying the raid for what it is? All I see, on release week of a patch is people complaining about gold / not getting loot and not caring about the story at all. I'm not saying all are like this... but this "vast" majority they speak of, that wanted to / want to see the end conclusion is very much so like this.

Just pisses me off, that even after LFD tool and them acknowledging that it hurts server community, they make LFR and turn it into a loot pinata instead of what they made it to be from the start. I'm starting to really wish, they improved on the LFG tool / UI and tried to promote server pugging for normal's like they had tried to in the past. Players that don't have time to raid (which i have hard time understanding, there is bench spots EVERYWHERE / 6 hour a week raid guilds.. etc etc). IF they want to see the story, I feel like the loot in LFR at the current state it is in should be blue gear with the stats it currently has, and the current title of LFR on the gear(everything on the gear stays the same it just is a blue item like it should be ). There is nothing epic about LFR.

Maybe i'm just annoyed at the lack of challenge in LFR for the rewards given.
    I read your whole post and I don't see the problem.

Except for you being 18 years old and still having to realize it's just a game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Players that don't have time to raid (which i have hard time understanding, there is bench spots EVERYWHERE / 6 hour a week raid guilds.. etc etc).
    Bold part is what got me.... For alot of 'lfr raiders', they just don't have the time to block out 2-3hrs in a row to raid, bench spot or not.
    How wonderful, as a casual, to make time away from work/family/life so they can have a 90% chance
    to be sat out because a more competent dps logged on. It's no wonder they prefer lfr.

Let people do LFR as they please. If you don't like it, don't it. If you're not doing it, don't complain about it. It is what it is.
    (I feel the standard "oh it's this lame lfr argument again" should be thrown in for good measure.)
    And eight, eight, I forget what eight was for

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems as if it's not a very well thought out loot pinata if everyone complains about gold and not getting loot. And yet you seem not to notice the disconnect, even within a single paragraph. Why do you care about other people's gear? What business is it of yours? And really, while complaining about the rewards received for little effort, your solution is to hand out exactly the same reward but with different color text? Do you imagine that most people actually care about the color of the text on an upgrade? An upgrade is an upgrade.

In one sense I agree with you. The text color system has pretty much outlived any usefulness it once had and should be scrapped entirely. People didn't hesitate for even 15 seconds to throw away their purple gear for those lovely questing greens you got at first in Jade Forest. So what does that prove about text color?
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-06-01 at 07:59 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    The gear is much worse and there is no "prestige" in it so why do people complain about LFR?

That they have something resemblant to "raider" gear which only you and your normal clearing buddies should have? That they shouldn't get to see the story?

I never use it, just did when it first came out to see what it's like. But since I raided normals/HCs I couldn't really bother to do it since I got to do the real deal instead but for anyone else, or someone who wants to pass time on an alt. Why not?

Loot pinata? Haha.
    Pet battling for coins on 3 alt, plus main, spending them in these so called "loot pinatas". I never get anything, despite I am working my ass off, occasionally (about 1-2 times per 3-4 WEEKS across that 4 characters) I get cloak/necklace/ring (and the best part, I tend to get the spiritless version, all of my chars are healers), which I can get from valor. Loot pinata my ass.
    I am doing it for pets and the primal eggs, never got those either. The worst nightmare is when you do something on 4 char, and end up to buy off from the ah, because "oh, sorry you must be soo unlucky".
    Aham, on 4 characters. Ehh... With the new unlucky-protection thingie. Annoying.
    Last edited by Lei; 2013-06-01 at 08:09 AM.

Yeah, see, I'm married, have 2 kids, and I am in the military. As a result I have missed alot of the end game story, but with the changes made in MoP and the LFR "Loot pinata" I have been able to keep up, even with constant field exercises and months away from home. For me it has been positive all around.

Don't inspect people if you don't like to see their purple gear. And the gear even if it is purple it does say lfr on every piece. And if that's not enough it has the 502 ilvl on said pieces. Have a kid and a wife with a full time job and tell me how easy it is to raid competitively. (I'm sure you have all those things and still do it, even if so it's not possible for a lot of us)

Deleted
    Does anyone see people actually enjoying the (LFR) raid for what it is?
    This is what I've been asking myself often. I find LFR utterly boring, it offers no challenge at all. Basically it boils down to just 'spending time' and receiving loot as a reward. Though, as we all know, there's a lot of ppl that just auto-attack/are slacking all the way. They are either abusing the system, OR feel the same way about LFR difficulty. But since LFR is here, there's no pugging anymore, there's no 'fun' raiding anymore for casuals that do like a challenge.

LFR is so dumb, you can basically finish it without knowing the raid or your class. A few auto-attacks will do.

Deleted
    I cannot find the specifc post, being so long ago... but when LFR first came out. Did anyone else remember Blizzard posting that. During vanilla no one saw 40 man naxx, no one in bc saw sunwell, and very very few saw LK.
    What are you talking about that nobody saw 40m Naxx, Sunwell, and LK na HC????? You must have been a really casual player then back in vanilla/tbc or maybe even wotlk. I've been playing this game for so long and I've experienced everything from the starts as well as many guilds on my previous realms. We had 4 guilds in Naxx40, around 3 guilds in Sunwell killing Kil'jaeden and almost 6 guilds that killed LK both on 10 and 25 on HC by the end of the expansion. In my opinion LFR should never by implemented same as "HIGHER" level dungeons that helps to gear up. At this particular moment we have guilds that raids only "ToT-ToT-ToT and ToT". I liked where realm had stage guilds: lower guilds were progressing [Kara-Gruul's-Mag's-SSC and TK] in order to get into Hyjal and BT. They needed gear to kill further bosses.
    Last edited by mmoc727357d98d; 2013-06-01 at 08:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I always wonder when I read these threads (obligatory "Oh, another one of these!" as I began reading); what bearing do people you probably never associate with and probably will never see again have on your gameplay? Are you afraid some LFR hero is going to spank your DPS in lesser gear? That's the sign of a better player, not that LFR is a problem.

Whatever your reason may be, they'll probably be irrational, because you're making some dude's time spent bother you; while he's four states/regions/thousand miles away. Yep. You're causing your own despair. As soon as you stop caring about how others enjoy their time in this game (so long as it's not against the ToS, of course), the sooner you can move on with your life and probably out of that basement.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragemax View Post
    What are you talking about that nobody saw 40m Naxx, Sunwell, and LK na HC?????
    Blizzard indeed stated they implemented LFR to let more people see the raid content. TS isn't pulling this out of thin air.
    Very very few casual players would ever see the expansion end-bosses. As a somewhat casual player, I actually killed LK once, but that was because for some strange reason I ended up off-tanking a lucifera alt-run. This was however the best of times I had in WoW, lol.
    Anyway, for most players LK really was out of reach, as was any end-boss.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butger View Post
    This is what I've been asking myself often. I find LFR utterly boring, it offers no challenge at all. Basically it boils down to just 'spending time' and receiving loot as a reward. Though, as we all know, there's a lot of ppl that just auto-attack/are slacking all the way. They are either abusing the system, OR feel the same way about LFR difficulty. But since LFR is here, there's no pugging anymore, there's no 'fun' raiding anymore for casuals that do like a challenge.

LFR is so dumb, you can basically finish it without knowing the raid or your class. A few auto-attacks will do.
    It's possible that people just auto-attack through LFR, but when I look at the low DPS in recount, I don't see that. I just don't see it.

Maybe YOU are just /follow and AFK-ing your way through, but the people I see doing low DPS in recount are doing it for some other reason.

If you aren't going to tank/heal/DPS your little heart out on every pull, please don't queue for LFR, because the problem you're bitching about, it's YOU.

its been said enough but. since i now have an infant, i can no longer commit to a raid . if perhaps there's a raid on Saturday nights starting at 11-12 then maybe. even then my lad is un predictable.

perhaps open your horizons a bit and realise things from another realistic perspective

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Seems as if it's not a very well thought out loot pinata if everyone complains about gold and not getting loot
    Now if only we could get the developers to come to this realization. Then potentially we'd see some changes. They may not intend it as a loot pinata but guess what? That's what people want and that's why they do lfr.

i really like LFR but the story right now is just boring (or just say not so epic).
    in cata the final raid was just great, good story line, interesting boss fights but we arent at the top of the expansion right now.
    i hope we will see better fights/story in the future patches

Quote Originally Posted by Mourigan View Post
    Yeah, see, I'm married, have 2 kids, and I am in the military. As a result I have missed alot of the end game story, but with the changes made in MoP and the LFR "Loot pinata" I have been able to keep up, even with constant field exercises and months away from home. For me it has been positive all around.
    This is why I think LFR was a decent-enough idea. Not everyone in the world has time to commit to a raid even as a bench raider, where you're either never going to see the boss because someone better than you that has the time to improve their gear constantly is going to be picked, or because in the end, if you're picked all the time, you're still committing time that you may not regularly have. The mechanics in LFR, as well as the ilvel on loot, are toned down enough that a normal raider should not be bothered by them (in terms of work for rewards), and in the end, who cares about the gear that anyone else is wearing if it doesn't affect you? LFR has given casual players (or former hardcore-raiders who no longer have the time) the opportunity to see what an expansion has to offer without having to youtube cut scenes or follow a live stream to see endgame.

I think the problem with LFR is that there are a lot of non-casual guys that join that aren't good enough in normal, and they expect to get some sort of BiS gear set from the place and it doesn't happen. LFR serves it's purpose of showing the story line to those that literally have very little time well, but there are some that just aren't in to raiding but do LFR because it's the only avenue for decent gear. 5.3 is starting to head into the right direction, letting gear drop from 5 man challenge modes and heroic scenarios, but there's much more progress to go. To be honest, they need to shift the spotlight off of raiding for casuals anyways, there's a good reason they didn't raid before (and Im using the word casual here loosely).

LFR is great, it allows them to justify spending more resources on raid design since they can now assume that a far wider audience will have access to the content.

Gear in WoW is the equivalent of character progression, LFR gear is another avenue of character progression.

I don't know what is really behind all of the LFR complaints, perhaps some people just want WoW to be some sort of niche game that caters to hardcore raiders. The truth is, that I believe many of these people wouldn't even play WoW if it didn't have widespread appeal. The health of an MMO is tied to how populated it is, which means there need to be several options for character progression.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn