Poll: Out of 2pac, Eminem, and Biggy who do you prefer?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    All Eyez on Me was the first real hip-hop album I ever bought. Didn't expect to like it, I was into Smashing Pumpkins and Soundgarden at the time, but I did like it, a lot.

Hard to say if 2pac or Eminem is a better rapper, Eminem's pretty amazing, and I don't know that if the question was "who's your favorite rapper?" I'd answer 2pac, but he gets my vote here. (Aesop Rock probably would)

Deleted
    Personally I'm a Sage Francis fan. I'm guessing it's more underground though. He has no need to rap about bitches and hoods and whatnot.

15+ Year Old Account
    Eminem is just not in the same league as 2pac or Biggie. Sorry.

The big question is, would Eminem be as good as he has been without Tupac? I do remember him saying in an interview that Tupac was a big influence on him when he was younger.

To me, it will always be Tupac, but I've always enjoyed Eminem's work as well. And that's saying something as I pretty much hate most of the rap out there.

Noticed Eminem is leading this poll. Not surprising considering many of the posters were either probably much too young to really know Tupac or weren't even born when he tragically died. So they only know Eminem. At least that's what I think anyways.
    Last edited by KCguy; 2013-07-31 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    Eminem is just not in the same league as 2pac or Biggie. Sorry.
    Yeah he surpassed their league a long time ago, there's aspects of Eminems' technique that biggie and pac never could never compete with when it comes to lyrical wit and wordplay

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Hmmm? Even Eminem's own list is bad. Now where I can't say too much about people's opinion, on Eminem he left out Ice Cube, who's work with NWA and then solo was far superior to Eminem. Also there is Rakim, KRS ONE, Scarface and Nas I could easily put ahead. Now the OP's poll is not reflecting all these artist, which is his choice but the are far better than Eminem. Eminem may had more record sales and is more popular because let's face it his raps were about silly crap that more suburbia white kids flocked too. Don't get me wrong, Eminem kept it real at least instead of trying to be a "wannabe" gangsta rapper talking about drugs and pimpin hoes. He did have more mass appeal than most.
    KRS ones', Rakims' and Ice Cubes' rhyme schemes are so simplistic I fail to see how you can put them ahead of Eminem other than out of pure ignorance and bias.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Okay YOU think Ice Cube is not great but many people of Hip-Hop do think Cube is great. His dis song "No Vaseline" is considered THE best dis/battle song ever recorded. Cube not only put good beats, great rhymes but most important most of his songs had a meaning behind them. Not "my bum is on your lips..my bum is on your lips" GTFO of here!!! LoL Redman and Kurupt? Redman was good but Kurupt couldn't even carry an album. I would put Method Man ahead of Redman easily. Andre 3000 with Outkast..yeah. Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik is a classic but he had help from Big Boi and Goodie Mob. Scarface with Geto Boys was great and then again as a solo artist a lot of his rhymes had a meaning behind the delivery.

I'm strictly, mostly old school now, Today its pretty much recycled garbage of how much money you have, how many hoes you hit, maybe drugs that you sold (most are fake). No substance to much of todays rap. Its all about beats and AutoTune.

For person who thinks Eminem could beat Biggie in a battle I have this for you:

You're actually comparing a pisstake song by Eminem against a Ice Cube diss song ( that was mediocre at best)???

God damn, I'm glad ya'll set it off
    Used to be hard, now you're just wet and soft
    First you was down with the AK
    And now I see you on a video with Michel'le?
    Lookin' like straight bozos
    I saw it comin', that's why I went solo

Hey mister, would ya care to bare witness to
    The ass-whippin' I'm about to administer
    To this ass-kissin' little vaginal blister
    Stanabis, little Marshall Mathers' sister
    And in this corner, we have the mister
    Not havin' it, it's the mad sinister

Now tell me who's flows better and has more multis with a more reasonable comparison of diss songs

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftdreamzAMV View Post
    its really a shame that those of you that dont even listen to rap, votes for eminem because they have just heard his name, if you truly would known something about rap you wouldnt have choosen eminem, anyways mine favorite is Eazy E who isnt in the poll but well , he's and old school and he was one of those who were and created "Gangster Rap", sadly those who dont listen to old school doesnt know who he is all they know is lil wayne, eminem and that shit
    Are you even fucking reading what you're saying? ALL of easy E's verse were the fucking same AB rhyme scheme with the same shit tone AND most of his shit was written for him, get the fuck out of here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    For a moment there, I was under the impression that Eminem was dead ("Who do you think was the better rapper?").

I don't like rap though, but I do like the song We Made You by Eminem. It's a catchy tune.
    /shudders..

Deleted
    Wouldn't put any of them in my top 5 tbh, and I pretty much hate Em just cos of the way he bit Pharaohe Monch's style. Pac probably isn't a better rapper than Big on a technical level but I'd rather listen to Pac than Biggie. Although I feel Biggie has inspired better rappers who have built on and bettered that style.

Those three are good but..

I prefer Daniel Dumile of MF DOOM

10+ Year Old Account
    Eminem has written songs that surpass Tupacs or Biggies like Lose Yourself and Stan, but overall I think Tupac was the most consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by jmumich View Post
    Different styles, impossible to rank them, really. Eminem has had more time to develop his skills
    Pretty much this all the way. Em is the best lyricist but only because rhyme schemes have progressed drastically over the years. It's like comparing Grand Master Flash to Biggie, Flash's rhyme scheme almost sounds juvenile. Eminem has some rhyme schemes that really leave me scratching my head I'll admit some of his writing is genius.

"Better call the fire department / I've hired an arson(ist) / to set fire to carpet / and burn up your entire apartment ..."

When Em spit shit like that in the start he was sickest.

Honestly if you want DOPE DOPE lyrics that don't use shock or comedy as gimmicks ELZHI HANDS DOWN best emcee ... period

from the song COLORS

"Damn, it's fucked up how they found Tone / robbed for his GOLD chain in front of his BROWNstone / wit concussions, split to the WHITE meat / they even took his "kicks" like percussion that you fit to the right beat"

and that's one little line. Do yourself a favor and check him if you haven't!
    Last edited by TanksBosses; 2013-08-04 at 03:33 PM.

Deleted
    All three are among my favourite artists, each having a different aspect I enjoy listening to. My personal favourite is Eminem, listened to quite literally every single song of his and probably know the lyrics to at least 80+ ()

When comparing artists a lot of people don't really look at longevity. Guys like Nas, Eminem etc have released so many songs its pretty hard to comprehend how they keep coming up with new stuff. It's a big shame Biggie didn't have the chance to move further ;(

Quote Originally Posted by Drack View Post
    Yeah he surpassed their league a long time ago, there's aspects of Eminems' technique that biggie and pac never could never compete with when it comes to lyrical wit and wordplay

- - - Updated - - -

KRS ones', Rakims' and Ice Cubes' rhyme schemes are so simplistic I fail to see how you can put them ahead of Eminem other than out of pure ignorance and bias.

- - - Updated - - -

You're actually comparing a pisstake song by Eminem against a Ice Cube diss song ( that was mediocre at best)???

God damn, I'm glad ya'll set it off
    Used to be hard, now you're just wet and soft
    First you was down with the AK
    And now I see you on a video with Michel'le?
    Lookin' like straight bozos
    I saw it comin', that's why I went solo

Hey mister, would ya care to bare witness to
    The ass-whippin' I'm about to administer
    To this ass-kissin' little vaginal blister
    Stanabis, little Marshall Mathers' sister
    And in this corner, we have the mister
    Not havin' it, it's the mad sinister

Now tell me who's flows better and has more multis with a more reasonable comparison of diss songs

- - - Updated - - -

Are you even fucking reading what you're saying? ALL of easy E's verse were the fucking same AB rhyme scheme with the same shit tone AND most of his shit was written for him, get the fuck out of here.

- - - Updated - - -

/shudders..

Luz you know NOTHING about Hip-Hop. So Sad.

No way I'm picking Eminem over 2Pac.. I mean seriously? And why is there no female artists to pick from -_-

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking only of the three artists in the poll, 2Pac would be my favorite in spite of the misogyny and violence he glorified. Eminem was entertaining 15 years ago but lately it seems like all he does is whine into the mic. I'm sure you had a tough childhood Marshall, but you've been a millionaire for over a decade so shut the fuck up. Biggie was over-hyped in the 90s and he's over-rated now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like all rappers on the poll a lot but I don't understand how so many people say EM is better than 2Pac and Biggie. Biggie could tell stories and ride a beat like no one else. 2Pac was very versatile and true poet. Em is funnier than both of them but thats about it. Its all preferences though.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2013-11-07 at 11:09 AM.

I sometimes enjoy listening to rap... and could never stand listening to any of Biggy's songs...
    It's all subjective though...
    Tupac = Eminem, they're from different times.

Coming late to this thread a bit, but this is my opinion:

2Pac was a better lyricist, Biggie had better flow. Biggie was smooth like silk but really didn't rap about anything of note.

Eminem revolutionized both rap lyrics (by rapping about broken-ness) and flow, by introducing a more staccato, arhythmic flow (unlike Busta Rhymes and Twista, who have a more "melodic" staccato, if that makes sense). I don't think he's better than either 2Pac or Biggie though. Maybe because I consider those two more important.

Still like Nas, Mos Def, and other East coasters a bit better than even Biggie.

Edit: <that feeling when you realize this thread is a half year old and you've already posted in it but at least you're opinions are still consistent> Anyways, to elaborate a bit on "Eminem's own list is bad," you can definitely see his West Coast influences in there, which is why Biggie and Nas fall so far down his list. And consequently, why they climb so high on mine, growing up in NY. It's why he loved NWA (and consequently Dre so much) but groups like ONYX never made an impact on Em, even though I think N.W.A. is small time in the game of rap. Produced some legendary producers in Ice Cube and Dre, but that's it.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2013-11-11 at 07:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Biggy = Freestyle/Rapping
    Eminem = Freestyle/Rapping/Lyrics
    Tupac = Lyrics, the message within, a great Poet

I like all three but I mainly listen to Eminem and Pac.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    I like all rappers on the poll a lot but I don't understand how so many people say EM is better than 2Pac and Biggie. Biggie could tell stories and ride a beat like no one else. 2Pac was very versatile and true poet. Em is funnier than both of them but thats about it. Its all preferences though.
    You forgot freestyle. Being a good rapper requires a combination of multiple skill sets from writing lyrics to rapping in studio, flow and freestyle (probs few other skill sets too).
    Last edited by Mister K; 2013-11-29 at 02:46 AM.
    -K

HAHAHA eminem highest on votes?
    Shows how many kids are in this thread, i bet half of you have not even listened to most of the older rap.

Ice cube, ice T , funkdoobiest , easy e , wu tang , naughty by nature , snoop to name a few of top of me head makes eminem look like the justin beiber of rap.
    Fuck even old school dj jazzy jeff and fresh prince piss all over eminem.

Of the 3, 2pac easily for me.

As others have said, there are literally dozens if not hundred(s) of better rappers/groups out there since hip hop got started.

These are my essentials for anyone getting into hip hop for the first time (in some sort of order of importance, but more just as they come to me):

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the 36 Chambers
    Nas - Illmatic
    GZA - Liquid Swords
    Notorious BIG - Ready to Die
    Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
    A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
    Mobb Deep - The Infamous
    Madvillain - Madvillainy
    Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
    Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
    Typical Cats - Typical Cats
    Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
    Big L - Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous
    KRS-One - KRS-One
    Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
    The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde
    Enimem - Marshall Mathers LP
    Outkast - ATLiens
    Outkast - Aquemini
    Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagonecologyst
    2Pac - Me Against the World
    2Pac - All Eyez on Me (it's not actually spectacular, but has a bunch of his best songs)
    De La Soul - De La Soul Is Dead
    Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
    Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
    Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city
    One Be Lo - S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M.
    Eric B and Rakim - Paid in Full
    Dr. Dre - The Chronic
    Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels
    Cage - Hell's Winter
    Aesop Rock - Labor Days

At this point I'm starting to realize I don't have all my music on this PC... if someone wants more, just PM me and I'll go find it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BatteredSausage View Post
    HAHAHA eminem highest on votes?
    Shows how many kids are in this thread, i bet half of you have not even listened to most of the older rap.

Ice cube, ice T , funkdoobiest , easy e , wu tang , naughty by nature , snoop to name a few of top of me head makes eminem look like the justin beiber of rap.
    Fuck even old school dj jazzy jeff and fresh prince piss all over eminem.
    The poll is specifically for those 3 rappers. Eminem has really strong vocabulary, lyrics and his freestyle rapping is pretty much on top. Also gl fitting all the rappers into the poll listing. But you seems strictly biased, calling Eminem JB of rap is just moronic, at least pick someone more suitable for that place.

Just because people like Eminem does not mean they're kids, way to stereotype. I listen to all kinds of HipHop from new to old school (Travis Scott, A$AP crew, Curren$y, Angel Haze, Game, Joey Badass, Pro Era, Mac Millers older stuff, Freddie Gibbs, Underachievers, Flatbush to Das EFX, Nas, NWA, Eazy E, Pac, Biggie, Outkast, Common, Cypress Hill, Mobb Deep, KRS One, WuTang, DMX, Nas, Mc Eiht, Beastie Boys, ATCQ, Public E, Mos Def, Dre, Snoop, Cube, T, Big L and I can go on for hours).

duz dat mean im a jb lovin kiddo brah???

Although a lot of the new rap artists rely heavily on the producers to make some great beats to carry the song. Although todays beats are heavily saturated with bass, being more of a club scene beats compared to old school beats.

Some of the new hiphop artists I think still have decent lyrics, strong rap ability, flow and other attributes are Pro Era crew (Cj Fly, Joey and RIP Capital Steez), Underachievers, Well$ & few more.
    Last edited by Mister K; 2013-11-29 at 02:41 AM.
    -K