View Poll Results: Do you agree with Snowden's Asylum in Russia?

Voters
96. This poll is closed
  • Agree

68 70.83%
  • No not agree

13 13.54%
  • Don't know

3 3.13%
  • Don't care

12 12.50%
Page 22 of 107 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    Not because I'm braindwashed as you put it, or afraid. Quite the contrary actually. I want my country to have its fingers deep into the computer networks of every other country on the planet. I want the NSA to gather intelligence like it is.
    Thats fine but it's also quite despicable. Now I'm not saying they do this but NSA can basically conduct industrial espionage via Google and Microsofts cloud services by monitoring email that includes some of the largest and most high profile companies around the world, thankfully relatively few large corporations in my country have opened up its internal and external e-mail for the US intelligence from what I can tell by a quick look around.

I did look over the 100 largest Swedish companies btw, and among those whose e-mail system is wide open to NSA you will find companies like Preem and St1 (formerly Shell), Sapa Group, but primarily SSAB, Electrolux, SKF and Volvo Cars.

Microsoft cloud services dominate, where all but SKF and Sapa opened up their communications system that way. SKF and Sapa are using Google's Postini spam filter, which may not make them equally exposed as others as it is hopefully only used for external mail. What lies behind the spam filter I'll leave unsaid.

Now I don't know what the mission is for NSA, it might just be to look for terrorists, but it can also involve providing American industry valuable intelligence. So if you communicate information worth protecting and are operating in an industry where you got american competitors they may actually have an unfair advantage.

Especially sales organizations in other countries may be exposed to the NSA and they also have smaller contractors and consultancies that might expose important information if they in turn use cloud services that NSA monitors.

I find the possibility of that, regardless of them doing it or not quite troubling.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Endangered our freedom and security: Snowden.

If he did something so great, why is he hiding? Why can't he stop lying about his history and the story of how/why he did it? The simple facts are that Snowden released classified documents regarding the United States' spying capability and threatened the security of this nation.

---------- Post added 2013-06-14 at 03:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Thats fine but it's also quite despicable.
    You seem to contradict yourself in the first sentence - something that is fine is also despicable? How/why is it despicable?
    Last edited by cubby; 2013-06-14 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendric View Post
    There is tons of grey in the 4th amendment when it comes to electronic data. By in large this is the same data that these companies legally sell and profit is the only reason that they collect it. Having spent 20 years in the Air Force and am now in the Air Force Civil Service holding a security clearence now for almost 3 decades I am well aware that millitary members should not follow unlawful orders. But you had better be prepared to defend your reasoning and there is a chain of command and the JAG as official methods to refute these orders.
    oh i know full well of the JAG lol. When i was in (Air Force also). Word made it to my first shirt that i was keeping my firearm in my dorm room. I fought the hell out of it because on most bases they have an armory where you would keep privately owned weapons. Well i was on a little, barely known base in San Antonio, TX by the name of Brooks...and we had no armory. Also, I was able to fight due to the fact that people living in base housing were able to keep their firearms. I was in almost 4 years at that time and a SrA. I simply stated, that it was bullshit that someone fresh out of tech school that married someone 2 weeks after he met her (if you were in 20 years you know im not bullshitting on that lol) and can now live in base housing, is somehow more responsible than me.

Well long story short they still gave me an Article 15, but i got to keep my rank. They would not allow me to test for staff sergeant although, so i just took it upon myself to decide 4 years was enough for me. I did a tour in a combat zone so i can at least say i did my part. I ended up getting a great job due to my training and for that would easily say i would do it all over. It just is not a place for me with all the authority and lack of rights.

thank you for putting in 20 tho. My dad is retired army.

---------- Post added 2013-06-14 at 11:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Endangered our freedom and security: Snowden.

If he did something so great, why is he hiding? Why can't he stop lying about his history and the story of how/why he did it? The simple facts are that Snowden released classified documents regarding the United States' spying capability and threatened the security of this nation.[COLOR="red"]
    because the government has killed people for a lot less.

You seem to contradict yourself in the first sentence. How/why is it despicable?
    I think the rest of my post explains why it's wrong.
    It's fine that he has that opinion, it's not fine that they do what they do.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-06-14 at 03:35 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

15+ Year Old Account
    If you're against this guy, you're saying watergate shouldn't have happened. If you're saying that, you're either ignorant, a shill, or extremely dumb. That's all there is to be said here. Educate yourself:
    http://www.dancarlin.com//disp.php/c...leaks-Ellsberg
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute scroll through twitter." - Winston Churchill

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think the rest of my post explains why it's wrong.
    Not really, I read it once, then read it again after your post re mine. The U.S. has the best spy agency in the world. You already stated you don't know what the mission of the NSA is, so how exactly can you then lay judgement on something you admittedly know nothing about?

(apologies if I'm sounding like a dick, I don't mean to be - just really curious about people who thing Snowden did something other than treason)

So what enemy did Snowden aid or comfort exactly? The shadows and phantoms of what might have been domestic terrorists that may or may not actually be there?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Srg56 View Post
    If you're against this guy, you're saying watergate shouldn't have happened. If you're saying that, you're either ignorant, a shill, or extremely dumb. That's all there is to be said here. Educate yourself:
    You couldn't be more wrong. Reading some post doesn't begin to explain how misaligned your understanding of what Snowden did is. Do you even understand the difference between what Snowden did and what Watergate was?

---------- Post added 2013-06-14 at 03:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vaeevictiss View Post
    because the government has killed people for a lot less.
    But I thought he didn't do anything wrong . . . . Why should he be worried?

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's the thing. Watergate, etc, where illegal (granted, they wouldn't have been today). I am on this guys side because he is drawing attention to what the current laws allow. But he is not a whistle blower since there are no whistles to be blown. The best way to get bad laws repealed is to publicly enforce them. So the bad news is, he needs to go to jail. What he did is illegal under the current laws (and could perhaps even be treason). If he wants to be a "hero" he needs to stop running and take what's coming. That's how civil disobedience works. Gandhi didn't run away, jail time is an important part of the process. If he gets away with it, then nothing will change.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Not really, I read it once, then read it again after your post re mine. The U.S. has the best spy agency in the world. You already stated you don't know what the mission of the NSA is, so how exactly can you then lay judgement on something you admittedly know nothing about?

(apologies if I'm sounding like a dick, I don't mean to be - just really curious about people who thing Snowden did something other than treason)
    Why should I or anyone els trust an american intelligence agency? They have no obligation to serve my country or any other country but the USA.

Pffft whatever. This guy is just another douche ready to sell any information he got. He just lets people like you protect him. If he did have any real dangerous info he would sell it to the highest bidder in a heart beat. He doesn't care about me, you, innocents, America, the world. Just his paycheck.

---------- Post added 2013-06-14 at 03:42 PM ----------

Why should I or anyone els trust an american intelligence agency? They have no obligation to serve my country or any other country but the USA.
    Then don't, but don't trust Snowden cause some people are trying to make him a living martyr.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

10+ Year Old Account
    To add to the problem, Snowden could simply be wrong (honestly mistaken or otherwise).

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/22750...h-ec-officials

It's easy to believe him, since I just assumed such things where happening as soon as the ink on the patriot act was dry, but I have not seen much in the way of evidence to back up his claims that he could order wiretaps on anyone as a low level NSA intelligence operative with only three months employment under his belt.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    Then don't, but don't trust Snowden cause some people are trying to make him a living martyr.
    I don't really give a fuck about Snowden.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't really give a fuck about Snowden.
    You certainly seem to be defending him. He's a traitor, and should be tried as such.

---------- Post added 2013-06-14 at 03:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    To add to the problem, Snowden could simply be wrong (honestly mistaken or otherwise).

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/22750...h-ec-officials

It's easy to believe him, since I just assumed such things where happening as soon as the ink on the patriot act was dry, but I have not seen much in the way of evidence to back up his claims that he could order wiretaps on anyone as a low level NSA intelligence operative with only three months employment under his belt.
    The other thing is that he is, basically, lying about most of what he claims. However, he also released a lot of highly classified data, and revealed intelligence gathering methods, which is the reason he needs to come back and face up to his actions.

Deleted
    They do it to keep you safe, so Boston Marathon doesn't get bombed. Ooh wait :P

Plain and simple, i dont think what he did was wrong. Nor do i think he is a hero or martyr. He saw something he believed was illegal/unconstitutional and reported it...done. Granted it was reported on a pretty large scale. But of course they will make him out to be the bad guy.
    Last edited by vaeevictiss; 2013-06-14 at 04:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Because, even if what he did was wrong, it isn't treason. Treason is defined in the U.S. Constitution: "Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort." Period. That's it. When you say that leaking information is treason, you're demonstrating your ignorance. (And don't even try to go down the road of claiming some ill-definied enemy like "terrorists" might find the information he released useful. Al-Qaeda finds drone strikes a useful recruiting tool - that doesn't make the drone program treasonous. And criticism of the President lets terrorists portray the American government in a negative light, but that doesn't make the GOP traitors either.)

And just as an aside, if leaking is somehow treason, why hasn't Obama (or any previous administation) seen fit to pursue any of the numerous "off-the-record" leaks by politicians and their staffers?
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Heh... regardless of what you think of Snowden, agree or disagree.

He certainly picked the one place to go where he can't be taken out by a drone or renditioned.

It's not cowardly to not want to be assassinated or kidnapped, it's not like he went somewhere without an extradition treaty. He went somewhere he can't be touched unless thru a court system.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

Deleted
    Kinda off topic... but the sounds he makes when he talks are driving me crazy. Why would you put a god damn microphone INSIDE HIS FUCKING SALIVARY GLANDS?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!