View Poll Results: Do you agree with Snowden's Asylum in Russia?

Voters
96. This poll is closed
  • Agree

68 70.83%
  • No not agree

13 13.54%
  • Don't know

3 3.13%
  • Don't care

12 12.50%
Page 70 of 107 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Those were better times, weren't they? When we could defend freedom and democracy across the globe... If that same situation happened today, we'd be vilified for it and the international community would shit itself.
    Well, not entirely, the same thing more or less happened in Libya and no one vilified either you or Western Europe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    According to the Guardian, the NSA has been intercepting Skype video calls too. That's a new one on me.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...tion-user-data
    Isn't Skype an Estonian firm/product of an Estonian firm? I doubt they'd agree to let NSA do this.

15+ Year Old Account
    But again, if we just stopped everything today, you'd still hate us for another thousand years. Hate doesn't just die.
    no, you´re absolutely right, in fact, we here in europe hate everyone here in europe, because hate lasts a thousand years...
    because europeans and people in general don´t judge by actions, just by history, it´s what we do
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Isn't Skype an Estonian firm/product of an Estonian firm? I doubt they'd agree to let NSA do this.
    It was, but it was purchased by Microsoft. I've actually walked right by the building in Estonia where Skype was developed.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2013-07-12 at 02:58 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    He's already applied for asylum to Russia and it's obvious they didn't want to accept so he withdrew the quest. Why would they accept now?
    My guess is because it's temporary asylum. He said he feels his actions aren't harming the USA, so he's in compliance with Putin's earlier directive.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    It looks like France is considering Snowden's petition. Germany is as well but has made it clear that it's incredibly unlikely.

France and Germany are 2 of the only economies the US will be unable to economically pressure without shooting itself in the foot. Neither is very happy with the US right now, either.
    You're misinformed. France has already outright rejected Snowden's petition and is even responsible for force-landing the bolivian presidents plane. Europe is America's bitch.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

According to the Guardian, the NSA has been intercepting Skype video calls too. That's a new one on me.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...tion-user-data
    User Data =/= intercepting Skype video calls.

User Data = a listing of IP addresses you called/bookmarked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Sorry to say this but you're delusional. I don't blame you. Your government has followed a policy of hard line patriotism to hide their shady dealings that the people are actually confused. No one hates you IF YOU DONT PLANT MICS UNDER A DESK OF YOUR ALLY so that maybe in 100 years you can prevent italy attacking you (?!?!?!?) you re responsable for your actions and nothing else. ACTIONS are judged not intentions.

I can't say much good about your government because between corruption, lobbyism and misinformation there isn't really anything to say. The model of life you're proposing is not one I agree with on many aspects. I do however agree on some others and praise you for it.
    Having said that I dont want to erase your country from the face of the earth because you see not all of us are living in a bloodthirsty warmongering militaristic country and as such not all of us get such an "education" imposed on us...

Did I step into "country bashing" territory?
    You might have, doesn't bother me though. If it were up to me, we'd all be allowed to say what we really think of each other. That way we can all get it out in one go, and this constant tension can ease a bit.

Anyway, I'm jaded. I realize that. But I can't imagine the world ever accepting America's existence. We're always going to be seen as a blight upon this planet. That's not to say I don't care for the outside world. I care a great deal for many peoples. The oppressed who fight for their freedom, and the exceedingly rare friends that America finds all hold a place in my heart. But that love is not returned, and it never will be. Mankind isn't capable of it.

So yes, I am convinced that the moment we stop listening to you, you all start plotting against us. The world hates our power, military, economic, and political. The outsiders want to see that power diminished. We aim to keep it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    It was, but it was purchased by Microsoft.
    Well that explains it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, not entirely, the same thing more or less happened in Libya and no one vilified either you or Western Europe.
    Like hell they didn't. You can't say the word "Libya" without someone bringing up oil.

15+ Year Old Account
    You might have, doesn't bother me though. If it were up to me, we'd all be allowed to say what we really think of each other. That way we can all get it out in one go, and this constant tension can ease a bit.

Anyway, I'm jaded. I realize that. But I can't imagine the world ever accepting America's existence. We're always going to be seen as a blight upon this planet. That's not to say I don't care for the outside world. I care a great deal for many peoples. The oppressed who fight for their freedom, and the exceedingly rare friends that America finds all hold a place in my heart. But that love is not returned, and it never will be. Mankind isn't capable of it.

So yes, I am convinced that the moment we stop listening to you, you all start plotting against us. The world hates our power, military, economic, and political. The outsiders want to see that power diminished. We aim to keep it.
    paranoia, look it up
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    User Data =/= intercepting Skype video calls.

User Data = a listing of IP addresses you called/bookmarked.
    In July last year, nine months after Microsoft bought Skype, the NSA boasted that a new capability had tripled the amount of Skype video calls being collected through Prism;
    The agency already had pre-encryption stage access to email on Outlook.com, including Hotmail;
    The company worked with the FBI this year to allow the NSA easier access via Prism to its cloud storage service SkyDrive, which now has more than 250 million users worldwide;
    Microsoft helped the NSA to circumvent its encryption to address concerns that the agency would be unable to intercept web chats on the new Outlook.com portal;
    This isn't metadata we're talking about here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    paranoia, look it up
    Just so the record is clear, you honestly believe that I've never heard or read the word "paranoia" before? Like, are you literally telling me to go find the definition of "paranoia"? I just want to be clear on this.

While we're at it, I want you to go look up "archipelago".

10+ Year Old Account
    Like hell they didn't. You can't say the word "Libya" without someone bringing up oil.
    I may be remembering things wrongly, but as I remember it, Europeans overwhelmingly supported intervention there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I may be remembering things wrongly, but as I remember it, Europeans overwhelmingly supported intervention there.
    Actually that operation was started by France, IIRC. It must have been Total and CGG Veritas's influence!

15+ Year Old Account
    Just so the record is clear, you honestly believe that I've never heard or read the word "paranoia" before? Like, are you literally telling me to go find the definition of "paranoia"? I just want to be clear on this.

While we're at it, I want you to go look up "archipelago".
    no, i believe that if you read through the definition of the word paranoia you´d find alot similarities in your post i quoted

10+ Year Old Account
    The world hates our power, military, economic, and political. The outsiders want to see that power diminished. We aim to keep it.
    Are you aware that by divisions onto "we" and "they" you're only making it likelier for things like 9/11 to repeat? The world, by majority, doesn't hate your power. We just aren't always glad with what you do with that power, but if you'll notice, Europeans only complain. There haven't been European terrorist attacks against America. Europe has never done anything (well, in the modern era) to try to diminish your power.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually that operation was started by France, IIRC. It must have been Total and CGG Veritas's influence!
    Yeah it was started by France but the US participated. And Europeans didn't have any problem with that intervention. Most of us anyways.

Deleted

Kalyyn, you are an intelligent, educated human being. Do you think your post I'm quoting is the result of a sound, reasonable judgement, or more the irrational rant of prejudice and misinformation? I'm talking to you honestly, don't take offence of anything, please. Just... Read again what you said.
    Why would anyone hate someone else for no reason?

- - - Updated - - -

Europeans governments you mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    Europeans governments you mean.
    No, I mean Europeans.

Deleted
    Are you aware that by divisions onto "we" and "they" you're only making it likelier for things like 9/11 to repeat? The world, by majority, doesn't hate your power. We just aren't always glad with what you do with that power, but if you'll notice, Europeans only complain. There haven't been European terrorist attacks against America. Europe has never done anything (well, in the modern era) to try to diminish your power.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah it was started by France but the US participated. And Europeans didn't have any problem with that intervention. Most of us anyways.
    Sorry to disagree but as they say... Speak for yourself.
    France's action in Libya (due to the inability to trade with Iran ((due to the trade sanctions imposed by...hummm well whatever ))) were disgusting. You don't destroy a country to take their goods.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry to disagree but as they say... Speak for yourself.
    France's action in Libya (due to the inability to trade with Iran ((due to the trade sanctions imposed by...hummm well whatever ))) were disgusting. You don't destroy a country to take their goods.
    Destroy a country to take their goods? What?