Quote Originally Posted by saixilein View Post
    Thank you, sounds all pretty plausible.
    Yeah it's pretty interesting and seems likely. Elsa became huge when Frozen was released so having her be a bad guy was probably forbidden but it would have been really cool. Not to mention as he says, the level design makes zero sense.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Honestly I would have been fine with whatever if we had been allowed any significant interactions with the characters and be able to explore locations from the film other than the mountain.

They did such a great job with the worlds in 3 it sucks Frozen drew the short straw.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Honestly I would have been fine with whatever if we had been allowed any significant interactions with the characters and be able to explore locations from the film other than the mountain.

They did such a great job with the worlds in 3 it sucks Frozen drew the short straw.
    It's more a testament on how long 3 was in development. Frozen was in the process of being made, released, became a mega hit, and they released a sequal all in the time it took them to make 3 which had its own problems with Leonard Nimoy dying, changing from FF15s engine to Unreal, and having to make a world based on a movie that wasn't even out yet

"Too hot for disney!"

Spicy take.

Maybe get approval for said ideas on giant IP'S before making it and then having it cut from lack of approval. I dunno. Just an idea.
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2022-04-12 at 06:03 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    "Too hot for disney!"

Spicy take.

Maybe get approval for said ideas on giant IP'S before making it and then having it cut from lack of approval. I dunno. Just an idea.
    Spicier take

Maybe disney shouldn't be so uptight about their ips when everything after moana has been some of the worst movies they've ever made so clearly they don't care too much about them. I just saw they're making hocus pocus 2 and they just want to shit on my childhood even more it seems
    Last edited by Video Games; 2022-04-12 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Spicier take

Maybe disney shouldn't be so uptight about their ips when everything after moana has been some of the worst movies they've ever made so clearly they don't care too much about them
    Film that makes billion + dollars and you wanna let weirdos in Japan turn kids heros into villains and go on about salty icecreams. Yeah Idk. Seems shortsighted. Plenty of other IP's they could have chosen and had more creative freedom with than Disneys most successful original IP post the lion king

15+ Year Old Account
    Film that makes billion + dollars and you wanna let weirdos in Japan turn kids heros into villains and go on about salty icecreams. Yeah Idk. Seems shortsighted. Plenty of other IP's they could have chosen and had more creative freedom with than Disneys most successful original IP post the lion king
    I want people to have creative freedom and make a good product. Yes I know it's difficult to work with such a shitty company but disney doesn't have any artistic integrity left after the god awful live action movies so who even cares lol

This is the inherent weakness of crossovers between franchises owned by different corporations and the reason why we rarely see them, let alone sequels to crossovers where the franchise characters carry over.

At this point, the Kingdom Hearts series has how many games? A dozen of them over the course of two decades? And how many non-game materials like the Ultimania lorebooks? KH has built its own, unique standalone universe and roster of characters and aesthetics now. The franchise should be able to stand on its own merits without needing to depend on the Final Fantasy or the Disney gimmick. If licensing issues are causing so much developmental troubles, then honestly it might be better to just stop contracting with Disney altogether and just proceed with completely original material.

I want people to have creative freedom and make a good product. Yes I know it's difficult to work with such a shitty company but disney doesn't have any artistic integrity left after the god awful live action movies so who even cares lol
    I'm not some disney apologist. They are a great example of what happens when the government doesnt do its job of applying the hand brakes to capitalism and you get giant monolithic monopolies that threaten any source of competition by buying them out or suing them into the ground.

But i'm not gonna try sell coca cola at my local schools lemonade raffle and wonder why coke are trying to shut my ass down.

Just screams of poor planning when you dont get approval for ideas that involve third parties bigger than you. Thats step 1. Get approval on what you can and cant do. Rather than winging it thinking "this is great who will say no!" making it. Then ultimately having to cut it and redo running up a mountain three times because you thought you could turn a protagonist into an antagonistic and no one would have a problem with it.

I have never played a single KH game...

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not some disney apologist. They are a great example of what happens when the government doesnt do its job of applying the hand brakes to capitalism and you get giant monolithic monopolies that threaten any source of competition by buying them out or suing them into the ground.

But i'm not gonna try sell coca cola at my local schools lemonade raffle and wonder why coke are trying to shut my ass down.

Just screams of poor planning when you dont get approval for ideas that involve third parties bigger than you. Thats step 1. Get approval on what you can and cant do. Rather than winging it thinking "this is great who will say no!" making it. Then ultimately having to cut it and redo running up a mountain three times because you thought you could turn a protagonist into an antagonistic and no one would have a problem with it.
    You're assuming they didnt get approval. They could have and was rescinded later on because given the assets are in ue4, they were working on the original version even as late as 2017 or 18

You're assuming they didnt get approval. They could have and was rescinded later on because given the assets are in ue4, they were working on the original version even as late as 2017 or 18
    Thats entirely possible but then if they had it in writing, they could have held them up to those agreements or threatened legal action.

But naturally they didnt. Bowed down to keep the relationship and went ahead with sacrificing their products and making no mention of it selling it full well to customers.

Assuming you are right of course.

They are bargining from a position of weakness because what is Kingdom hearts without the Disney World/characters. They built its premise on the coat tails of bigger IPs. Ones they are happy to ignore/move on from and use as launching pads like their treatment of final fantasy characters but with the Disney its different.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thats entirely possible but then if they had it in writing, they could have held them up to those agreements or threatened legal action.

But naturally they didnt. Bowed down to keep the relationship and went ahead with sacrificing their products and making no mention of it selling it full well to customers.

Assuming you are right of course.

They are bargining from a position of weakness because what is Kingdom hearts without the Disney World/characters. They built its premise on the coat tails of bigger IPs. Ones they are happy to ignore/move on from and use as launching pads like their treatment of final fantasy characters but with the Disney its different.
    I mean the likely scenario was that disney said whatever just make us money, completly forgot the silly japanese people existed, started on frozen 2, remembered the japanese people existed, asked them what they were doing and got freaked out because it doesnt line up with frozen 2 and the higher ups at disney told them to change it for brand management
    Last edited by Video Games; 2022-04-12 at 06:46 AM.

KH3 was not as good as I d like but it was not a bad game. I have my fair share of issues with the combat mainly and second with the story which was always kinda cringey.
    Its so fucking annoying how much the combat revolves around not playing as Sora but instead constantly using the stupid disney rides and the keyblades changing too much for my liking. Like I remember when I got the hercules keyblade that after every damn combo I was then able to ride on Pegasus which got old very very fast and did not feel special at all because of how often you had it. The toy story keyblade is a good example of a keyblade chaning constantly but feeling good because it still felt like you were grounded and playing as sora for the most part and doing combos.
    I dont understand why the combat did not just mimick birth by sleep which is where it reached its peak in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    This is the inherent weakness of crossovers between franchises owned by different corporations and the reason why we rarely see them, let alone sequels to crossovers where the franchise characters carry over.

At this point, the Kingdom Hearts series has how many games? A dozen of them over the course of two decades? And how many non-game materials like the Ultimania lorebooks? KH has built its own, unique standalone universe and roster of characters and aesthetics now. The franchise should be able to stand on its own merits without needing to depend on the Final Fantasy or the Disney gimmick. If licensing issues are causing so much developmental troubles, then honestly it might be better to just stop contracting with Disney altogether and just proceed with completely original material.
    Kingdom Hearts would have been better without even including Disney. Who the hell looked at a spikey haired anime femboy and thought "you know who he'd make a great pair up with? The Goof Troop and Olaf from Frozen"

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    Kingdom Hearts would have been better without even including Disney. Who the hell looked at a spikey haired anime femboy and thought "you know who he'd make a great pair up with? The Goof Troop and Olaf from Frozen"
    KH without Disney wouldn't be KH. Traveling to different worlds with all of it's own theme only really works if those worlds are familiare in some way.
    Meeting all of these Disney characters is what makes the game so fun remove that aspect and you suddenly have a meh game honestly with a story that would lack all consistency (which is saying something).
    Don't forget you have 2 stories at any given moment, the story of the world itself and the overal story. THe story of the world you are visiting only works if you as a player have some familiarity with that story.

The crossover with Disney is the whole point of KH. Removing it would be like removing the Fantasy element from Final Fantasy. You could do it but it wouldn't be the same game.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Removing it would be like removing the Fantasy element from Final Fantasy. You could do it but it wouldn't be the same game.
    Which is funny, since a lot of the FF games after Final Fantasy VI don't look like your typical fantasy archetype. xD

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    KH without Disney wouldn't be KH. Traveling to different worlds with all of it's own theme only really works if those worlds are familiare in some way.
    Meeting all of these Disney characters is what makes the game so fun remove that aspect and you suddenly have a meh game honestly with a story that would lack all consistency (which is saying something).
    Don't forget you have 2 stories at any given moment, the story of the world itself and the overal story. THe story of the world you are visiting only works if you as a player have some familiarity with that story.
    Maybe it was my lack of familiarity with Disney movies. I really did think the first KH game was a one-and-done cool little Disney game, in a Marvel vs. Capcom kind of way. I think its the fact, the developers and the fans took a story like that seriously enough to roll with it for all the sequels and spin-offs was... surprising? strange? Its such a jarring difference in appearance between the characters that come from the JRPG Anime side and the classic 1900s hand drawn Disney characters. Humbling I guess.
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2022-04-13 at 12:09 AM.

people talking about cutting levels in regards to frozen when the big hero 6 world is standing right there.
    Last edited by uuuhname; 2022-04-13 at 12:13 AM.