Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    just because it doesnt work everywhere doesnt mean its a fad. its got niche markets with gaming and cinema.
    It doesn't have any real market in gaming, that's why the 3D portion of the 3DS isn't integral to many (any?) games. 3D movies in the theater is a thing. But 3D in the home was a blip on the radar, and simply remains as a very niche market, just like people still wear Big Dog champions or platform shoes despite them being fads out of favor now.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    FWIW Sony did 3d gaming on the ps3 before the 3ds ever launched.
    Stereoscopic 3D is not the same as a TV genius. Oh, and for the record, Nintendo did 3D gaming LONG before Sony was even in the gaming industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famicom_3D_System

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It doesn't have any real market in gaming, that's why the 3D portion of the 3DS isn't integral to many (any?) games. 3D movies in the theater is a thing. But 3D in the home was a blip on the radar, and simply remains as a very niche market, just like people still wear Big Dog champions or platform shoes despite them being fads out of favor now.
    There is no point in 3D at home on TV because the majority of programming isn't being broadcast to support it and Blu Ray still has a fairly small install base compared to DVD. I don't like 3D regardless and I never have it on when playing my 3DS. It's a gimmick yes, but it doesn't make the 3DS a bad system by any means and it has more games that support it then the PS3 has ever had. Remember that TV that Sony made that supported 3D and was designed exclusively for the PS3 but cost a whopping $500 at release? Yeah, that thing was a piece of crap and proved that 3D in the home still isn't popular among console gamer's.

There's only one word I hate for constant usage more than literally, and that's gimmick.
    Seriously, let me just revisit this
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    And from the looks of it, Nintendo's luck just ran out. The Wii sold because of it's gimmick (and managed to trick a few non-gamers*** to buying a few games) and it's low price. The problem with gimmicks is, they quickly wear out their welcome - they are all form, no substance.

With the Wii U, their new gimmick fell flat and their price advantage is close to insignificant.
    And then point out something you said yourself.
    In marketing language, a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use. Thus, a gimmick is a special feature for the sake of having a special feature.

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimmick
    Now, let me say, by this definition, the Wii U tablet is not a gimmick. It is very much a core feature to, first off, the overall layout of the Wii U home screen. In fact, I laugh every time someone says "Just release the Wii U without the gamepad, it's not hard, and then I'd buy it"
    Alright, go ahead Nintendo, do just that. Except the fact that even upon entering the Wii U shop it tells you "You need a gamepad to browse this". Now sure, an update can fix that, but that doesn't change the fact that people seem to think it's just as magical as taking out the tablet and replacing it with a controller, when it really isn't.
    Then, there's even games that use the Tablet as a core feature, like Rayman Legends as an example. Oh, and try playing Nintendo Land without a Gamepad. Heck, go play it with one, maybe it will change your mind of the gamepad, Luigi's Haunted House is a great game with friends.

There is only one time I have seen someone use the word "Gimmick" towards a system that I couldn't really defend and that's the 3DS, because well, you don't need the 3D except for it to look better.

The wiiu tablet is a gimmick, but there's nothing wrong with it. The console just needs more games. Once they release the main titles, the wiiu will be fine

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Nobody with sense wants Nintendo to go backrupt, nobody with sense wants Nintendo games on a Playstation console, People WITH sense want both consoles and both companies to keep doing their own thing, allowing each to deliver a different experience.
    I want Nintendo games on my playstation 3 thanks, do i expect it? No, but that doesn't stop me wanting it, I also want a night with Megan Fox. Having' sense has nothing to do with wanting nice things you can't have.

Honestly, with how Nintendo's been doing as of late, I think they'd sooner stop with video games altogether rather than just go software. With the exception of SM3DW, Mario hasn't really had a good game since Galaxy (even though I personally didn't enjoy it, I know it's a "good" game). Not even for his spin-offs either.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Only because the primary gaming crowd was divided 50/50 between 360/PS3... and you damn well know that. This was the FIRST time since the dawn of the NES that there was no clear dominant console leader that got all the 3rd party support drawn towards.
    It's funny you say "primary gaming crowd", because until the 360/PS3 were out, most gamers were on board with Nintendo/Sega and RPG/Platformers and not so much the FPSes and Sports games, so if anything, you could say the "new generation" gamers. There are no "primary" gamers, but if there are, they certainly aren't the kids screaming obscenities on Call of Duty.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I want Nintendo games on my playstation 3 thanks, do i expect it? No, but that doesn't stop me wanting it, I also want a night with Megan Fox. Having' sense has nothing to do with wanting nice things you can't have.
    Remember when Rare went over to Microsoft? Instead of Banjo & Kazooie and Perfect Dark, you can enjoy your Nuts & Bolts and Perfect Dark Zero, both incredibly mediocre and meh at best (if even). The same would happen to Nintendo, but to an even worse extent because they're currently doing poorly on games right now, while Rare never had a bad moment in the N64 era, pumping out amazing game after amazing game in every single genre.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Remember when Rare went over to Microsoft? Instead of Banjo & Kazooie and Perfect Dark, you can enjoy your Nuts & Bolts and Perfect Dark Zero, both incredibly mediocre and meh at best (if even). The same would happen to Nintendo, but to an even worse extent because they're currently doing poorly on games right now, while Rare never had a bad moment in the N64 era, pumping out amazing game after amazing game in every single genre.
    Remember when Square went to sony and made THE final fantasy game of all time...

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post

Do you remember that MS basically just bought the company name Rare and the rights to their IPs? Most of the great developers at Rare bounced and went to Retro, there was very little influence left from the SNES/N64 Rare greatness when they became owned by MS.

There is a reason Retro went on to make great games like the Metroid Prime Trilogy and DKC while Rare made some crap spinoffs and some even crappier kinect games. MS couldn't buy the talent at Rare, only the name and IPs.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Am I the only one who wishes Nintendo would just give up on making bullshit systems and just port their IPs to Xbox and Playstation? I'll give them some credit, they definitely found a way to stay alive with Wii when their hardware was far behind Sony and Microsoft. But the Wii U... just sucks. Ever since the Gamecube I haven't bought a Nintendo system - they just don't get a great assortment of games.

I want Zelda, Mario and DK on my Xbox One/PS4.

Sorry, just hate every time I read about a new Zelda game coming out and know I won't be playing it because I'd have to essentially pay $300 for the system and the game.
    says wii and wii u sucks, doesn't own either.

graphics dont matter for nintendo games. It's cartoons. I guess it matters for the more serious natured titles but thats not nintendos bread a butter.

Wii U is no longer taking a loss on units sold and Nintendo could thrive on the success of the 3ds alone.

Soon Mario kart, smash bros, Monoliths X (probably xenoblade related) will be here and Wii U will be saved.
    Last edited by iadamson; 2014-05-15 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iadamson View Post
    says wii and wii u sucks, doesn't own either.

graphics dont matter for nintendo games. It's cartoons. I guess it matters for the more serious natured titles but thats not nintendos bread a butter.

Wii U is no longer taking a loss on units sold and Nintendo could thrive on the success of the 3ds alone.

Soon Mario kart, smash bros, Monoliths X (probably xenoblade related) will be here and Wii U will be saved.
    Disagree. Nintendo graphics benefit from solid frame rates(which most on the Wii U have) and increased resolution more so then most other games. Ever upscaled Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 on an emulator and saw how glorious it looks? Now go run GTA SA at 1080p and look at how ugly it still is.

Nintendo's graphics may be simple, but their art direction is superb and their graphics scale well with increased graphical power.

It's also funny you mention Xenoblade, that thing is gd wizardry running on the Wii and can look absolutely stunning running on an emulator. I dare wonder what Monolith could pull off on REAL hardware when they are working blood magic already.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm naturally pessimistic but I've heard when x is released it will save the wii u, nothing has yet.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I'm naturally pessimistic but I've heard when x is released it will save the wii u, nothing has yet.
    X will be another niche rpg, it's not saving anything. It will likely be a great game however.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Let me rephrase that for you.

"Sony marketed 3D TVs with PS3 before 3DS even launched"
    The best use of those TV's were using them to give player one and player two a full screen to play on whilst doing same-console multiplayer. Using two sets of glasses each person could see a completely different image....it was better than split screen. SADDLY it was expensive and not many games took advantage of it
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Considering you can go back in this thread a page or 2 or 3 and see me poking flaws in Nintendo hater's stupid logic I would say you fail pretty hard bro.

It's not my fault the Nintendo apologists have just as stupid logic to point out.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually it is a declining fad. 3d TVs are on the way out, 3d on mobile is non existent. The only thing keeping it around is theater's and it's even declining there. Maybe you should look at your numbers broseph.

You lose all credibility when you say something stupid like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Disagree. Nintendo graphics benefit from solid frame rates(which most on the Wii U have) and increased resolution more so then most other games. Ever upscaled Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 on an emulator and saw how glorious it looks? Now go run GTA SA at 1080p and look at how ugly it still is.

Nintendo's graphics may be simple, but their art direction is superb and their graphics scale well with increased graphical power.

It's also funny you mention Xenoblade, that thing is gd wizardry running on the Wii and can look absolutely stunning running on an emulator. I dare wonder what Monolith could pull off on REAL hardware when they are working blood magic already.
    It's crazy right? It's like they had HD in mind for those games. Leads me to believe that they may have had a "more powerful" version of the Wii somewhere at their headquarters or maybe employees had them.

Dolphin is a fantastic emulator.

Also, you do make some fair points on how badly Nintendo fucked up.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    It's crazy right? It's like they had HD in mind for those games. Leads me to believe that they may have had a "more powerful" version of the Wii somewhere at their headquarters or maybe employees had them.

Dolphin is a fantastic emulator.

Also, you do make some fair points on how badly Nintendo fucked up.
    It's not uncommon for some developers to develop their games with higher resolution support than the consoles they are released on actually support. A prime example of this was God of War 1 and 2 on the PS2. The textures of the games were actually designed for higher resolutions than the PS2 could actually handle, because they knew they wanted to re-release them in the future on a stronger system and this would make it that much easier to HD update it. And lo and behold they did just that with the PS3 collection.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    The best use of those TV's were using them to give player one and player two a full screen to play on whilst doing same-console multiplayer. Using two sets of glasses each person could see a completely different image....it was better than split screen. SADDLY it was expensive and not many games took advantage of it
    And it wasn't that good. One of my friends had it. The screen was terrible, you had to play it in a dark room because it had such massive glare problems.