Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    So I was thinking of still going avoidance, but way more parry than dodge for the hold the line glyph. Has any prot warriors actually tried that and if so what did you think of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    So I was thinking of still going avoidance, but way more parry than dodge for the hold the line glyph. Has any prot warriors actually tried that and if so what did you think of it?
    Pretty sure the majority of us going heavy parry with hold the line, as it's the suggested "build".

That's how almost every single warriors is currently doing.
    My Stream
    NollTvåTre Looking for Raiders

15+ Year Old Account
    As far as gemming goes, I'm still going for Stalwart orange gems (dodge+parry) instead of straight parry ones, but I've set my reforgelite statweights in such a way that parry has a slight advantage.

Save yourself the cash and just use straight parry(red) and dodge(yellow) gems if you're going for socket bonuses.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/b...3-fc454b841b1d

So something kinda like that. ~3k dodge seems very low though. And wouldn't the DR of parry start to kick in way to much to be worth it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    So something kinda like that. ~3k dodge seems very low though. And wouldn't the DR of parry start to kick in way to much to be worth it though.
    The avoidance you gain from balancing parry/dodge around their DRs is so minor that the general consensus is that it's better (and easier, for that matter) to just prioritise Parry for HtL. I think when I checked in ilvl 570ish it was a difference of about 0,1% avoidance, but I could be remembering that wrong.

are u sure the difference would be that low i thought that the DR is on a curve so it affects it more the more u have.

Quote Originally Posted by Diomed View Post
    are u sure the difference would be that low i thought that the DR is on a curve so it affects it more the more u have.
    Yes, we're sure. Most of the posters here are theorycrafters or have tested the difference themselves. The gain is from balancing them is extremely minimal, and the gain from stacking parry is huge when you factor in Hold the Line.

To be honest, the last time I tested it was at like 570 ilvl and I think it was around .3% of avoidance. I cant see it being high enough to truly make a difference in 15 ilvl.

This was back in like October or November though so feel free to check for yourself.
    Last edited by Gliff; 2014-06-18 at 04:33 AM.

Is there a consensus on using the DPS cloak over the tanking one? I know other tanking classes prefer to use the DPS cloak and they claim it's a big DPS increase, but what about warriors? I know the haste on it is completely wasted, but is it a noticeable DPS gain for warrior tanks? Is the DPS gain higher than what we would gain from riposte that the tanking cloak would provide?

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintie View Post
    Is there a consensus on using the DPS cloak over the tanking one? I know other tanking classes prefer to use the DPS cloak and they claim it's a big DPS increase, but what about warriors? I know the haste on it is completely wasted, but is it a noticeable DPS gain for warrior tanks? Is the DPS gain higher than what we would gain from riposte that the tanking cloak would provide?
    Yes, you will in every single situation do more DPS with the DPS cloak (and meta) than without, don't use it on a fight where you think you might die though. The DPS increase you get really depends on the fight, amount of targets, vengeance level etc.
    Retired in WoD

Deleted
    Unless you really want to rank or you're in desperate need of another 0,x% raiddps i'd always run with the tanking cloak & meta. Especially without many saving tools on a warrior and only 90% attention span during farm the 1-up is crucial, proccing 2-3 times per clear for me.

Oh and the damage cloak doesn't add so much dps on singletarget as you might think with 1000 useless stats, maybe 1% effective dps. But it clearly starts to shine and overcome the riposte benefits on multiple target situations.
    Last edited by mmoc9d5efa7d44; 2014-06-18 at 10:41 AM.

Hey

I'm in a relatively new 25 man Raid team. I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me towards a current BIS gear list for Prot War. I've been using Ask Mr Robot (AMR) but I've come to the conclusion that it's not the best resource for this.

I can't post my armory because this is my first post but i'm on frostmourne (US) and my character name is Atighe

I really need two sets of gear - one (a tanky set) for progression on heroic which we are working on at the moment and one (more dps based) for farming the last few normals that we are still clearing each week. Any suggestions would be appreciated. AMR seems to put more weight in the 4 piece set bonus than top end warriors do. I've had a look at Warriorsarri before and lots of other high ranking tanks (browsing logs on warcraft logs) but I don't want to fall into the trap of making myself too squishy and I've noticed that the log length is a lot shorter for his raid team than ours are.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tighe View Post
    Hey

I'm in a relatively new 25 man Raid team. I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me towards a current BIS gear list for Prot War. I've been using Ask Mr Robot (AMR) but I've come to the conclusion that it's not the best resource for this.

I can't post my armory because this is my first post but i'm on frostmourne (US) and my character name is Atighe

I really need two sets of gear - one (a tanky set) for progression on heroic which we are working on at the moment and one (more dps based) for farming the last few normals that we are still clearing each week. Any suggestions would be appreciated. AMR seems to put more weight in the 4 piece set bonus than top end warriors do. I've had a look at Warriorsarri before and lots of other high ranking tanks (browsing logs on warcraft logs) but I don't want to fall into the trap of making myself too squishy and I've noticed that the log length is a lot shorter for his raid team than ours are.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...rive_web#gid=0

Tabs at the bottom.

Deleted
    First you'll have to decide on wether you want to go with avoidance, critblock (mastery cap @ 19.500) or crit (for enrage) build. All have their advantages and disadvantages.

for avoidance:
    There's basically zero competition for 9 out of 10 drops (thok tips tail and a ring or two maybe) so it shouldn't be thard hard to pick up several hwf pieces down the 25 man road. All you'll have to watch out for is hit rating: with set pants it's kind of hard to get two more hit pieces and still stay below the 2550 mark after 4/4 upgrades, regulary depends on the slots (bracer/ring somewhat works, but anything else will be tough).

I still think norushen helmet beats tier helmet, especially after the 4/4 upgrades. Preferably set shoulder + pants over set gloves + pants for socket colors nets you the highest amount of avoidance. But that's two 'wrong' items at worst, the general route should be clear.

http://s14.directupload.net/images/140619/9bpnkyzo.jpg

for 4-set:
    It only comes in handy in very specific situations like keeping rage high on Thok, Malkorok (during p2) and Garrosh (while eating annihilates back to back on purpose) else it's just not as good as it seems on first glance and regulary not worth it giving away several ilvl and wearing suboptimal itemised pieces.
    Last edited by mmoc9d5efa7d44; 2014-06-19 at 08:57 AM.

The difference between Helm/Pants vs Shoulder/Pants is 1.27% crit via riposte (762 rating) vs 3.34% mastery (912 rating). Both of which use the IJ trinket (which I don't think anyone actually uses). I think most people use Vial for the lower cd's or perhaps skeer's for the bonus crit rating.

Deleted
    I run with IJ trinket 24/7, i don't need the cdr from vial and i don't like the added critchance from skeer. But similar to 2p (for 25m raiding) it's more a preference thing.

Gliff, That table is perfect. I knew something didn't feel right with Ask Mr Robot. I had a lot of heroic gear (upgrades from normal) in my bags but AMR was saying that i already had BIS because of the 4 piece bonus. Now I have a good idea what to spend my bonus rolls on. It's exactly what I needed. Thanks for that

Klausistklaus, I am going for a parry build. We progress relatively slowly through heroics which means my healers are generally well geared before we tackle the next boss and I don't feel too squishy at the moment. If I do start to feel like they are struggling to keep me up I will look at balancing dodge and parry for a standard avoidance build. I'm not rolling in gear and i'm not gold rich and we are only 5/14 in heroic progression so I don't want to swap to crit build until we have everything on farm (if we ever get there). I'm planning on building up a crit set though in the coming months for the Heroics we do have on farm. My co-tank is a blood DK and he's parry stacking too so we roll on all the same gear. He's got enough mastery to get to his sweet point already.

I was lucky enough to get the Norushen HWF helmet and I am using that at the moment. I have the heroic shoulders from immersius in my bag for when (if) I get the Heroic Tier helm from Thok. What do you mean when you say "two wrong items"? I'm not really clear about what you mean there.

Promdate, How do you figure out those numbers? I'm a numbers person but I don't know where I can find the formulas to work out that stuff. I have a HWF Norushen helm as opposed to a normal set piece. How would I figure out the difference between those two pieces?

KlausistiKlaus, - Do you reforge to parry on the IJ trinket? I use curse of hubris and Thok normal at the moment but i have Rooks and the CDR trinket for when I need them.

Thanks for the input guys I really appreciate it. It's nice to get some constructive feedback for a change.

AMR 4p: The 4p isn't TERRIBLE, it's just in no way optimal. If you want to make sure you don't get the 3 pieces that we don't want, just unclick them from the BiS option and it won't try to pick them.

I got the numbers by using AMR actually. I put in the gear with enchants and reforges that klausistklaus posted, and then made one for the other option. After that, it's just checking the stats to see how they compare to each other. If by chance you're also an orc, it makes the dark shaman weapon more attractive by freeing up that extra 1% expertise (which will be null come 6.0 patch).

Trinkets: You should generally always use Thoks and X. Where X is Rooks/Vial/Skeer/IJ depending on what you want and/or doing. With a normal Thoks though, that might make it a bit different.