High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Queue For Main While Playing An Alt?

I was just wondering if anyone else thinks this would be neat, or if there is some game breaking feature that I am not thinking of.

Basically I want to level my alt, but be able to queue for LFR/dungeon/etc. for my main. When you accept the group, you are automatically logged in to the toon you chose to queue for while being transported to the raid instance. When you leave, you pop back to your alt.

I play in a dead collection of servers, and often wait 20 minutes or more as a healer for any ToT LFR. And easily 10 minutes for random heroics. Elune forbid I wanted to do LFR or heroics as my dps spec, I don't really care to sit and wait forever.

It was just an idea that occurred to me. What are your thoughts?
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 Thermal Paste: Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra Mobo: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2133 SSD: Samsung 840 EVO GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 WindForce OS: Windows 10 Pro PSU: Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Monitor: Dell U3415W 34" 21:9 3440x1440 Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G502 Headset: Logitech G35 Speakers: Logitech Z53 NAS: Synology DS214 Play (6TB RAID-0) Router: ASUS AC87R

I've always thought this needs to be a thing.

They already have the ability to do that. Get a second account, link them, put them in the same guild. Voila all the same perks, insta-mail, all the benefits of ability to play 2 characters at once.

Aveline's amazing work!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiea View Post
    They already have the ability to do that. Get a second account, link them, put them in the same guild. Voila all the same perks, insta-mail, all the benefits of ability to play 2 characters at once.
    Besides the whole "buying all the games again and another monthly subscription" that's a good idea...
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 Thermal Paste: Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra Mobo: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2133 SSD: Samsung 840 EVO GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 WindForce OS: Windows 10 Pro PSU: Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Monitor: Dell U3415W 34" 21:9 3440x1440 Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G502 Headset: Logitech G35 Speakers: Logitech Z53 NAS: Synology DS214 Play (6TB RAID-0) Router: ASUS AC87R

This would be great idea, along with the ability to pause your queue. Im tired of sitting in the queue for 45 minutes, only to go afk for 1 minute grab a drink or something and end up missing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrox View Post
    This would be great idea, along with the ability to pause your queue. Im tired of sitting in the queue for 45 minutes, only to go afk for 1 minute grab a drink or something and end up missing it.
    That's why you turn the volume up when you walk away from the computer so that you can hear when the queue pops.

Quote Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
    I don't think it's technically feasible unfortunately.
    Actually, some patch (5.1 or 5.2) made one small change - so when you relog from character in queue to other toon, and then log back, your character is still in same queue. Thus we might see OP's suggestion to be implemented one day as well.

I just want automatic placement for lfr

Its such a hoot waiting nearly an hour for a group to just alt tab for a few mins out of boredom and missing the que and having to wait another hour or so

Quote Originally Posted by krognam View Post
    Besides the whole "buying all the games again and another monthly subscription" that's a good idea...
    Technically it's just Mists+subscription. The MOP disc/download contains all the game files up to this point.
    I when I got my new computer a few months back, I only had to use the MOP disc during the install. I didn't have to install vanilla, then TBC, then wrath, then cata before finally installing MOP.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    Technically it's just Mists+subscription. The MOP disc/download contains all the game files up to this point.
    I when I got my new computer a few months back, I only had to use the MOP disc during the install. I didn't have to install vanilla, then TBC, then wrath, then cata before finally installing MOP.
    That's because you've already purchased those games on that account, if you were to try that with a new account, it would not allow you to play because you need to purchase wrath (I believe TBC and classic come with purchasing wrath now), cata and MoP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    Even if I'm more inclined to hastily ask "wtf are you talking about?!", he talks about buying, not installing. You don't have to install a second WoW for a second account.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrox View Post
    You can kind of do that now. When you go to get up, /camp. When you come back it'll resume your spot in queue. I think the timer works for 5-10 minutes. 5 I'm sure of not sure how much more after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Drkblade View Post
    That's because you've already purchased those games on that account, if you were to try that with a new account, it would not allow you to play because you need to purchase wrath (I believe TBC and classic come with purchasing wrath now), cata and MoP.
    Vanilla/TBC/Wrath are all available now and probably best to buy during the $5 sale. Cata is full price I believe as well as MoP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    I just want automatic placement for lfr

Its such a hoot waiting nearly an hour for a group to just alt tab for a few mins out of boredom and missing the que and having to wait another hour or so
    "Enable sound in Background" = problem solved.
    And eight, eight, I forget what eight was for

Some games have mains and alts co-exist, and you simply switch between your "characters" the way you activate your 2nd spec in wow. Building further on the "swap spec" functionality (ofc limiting it to out of bg/arena/ out of combat) would make the OPs suggestion possible, as well as faster character swapping in general, for example if you have a tank alt and are asked to back-up as the main tank cant join for like 2 hours. You then swap to your tank, get the raid going and simply swap back to your main when loot is being distributed.

Brilliant idea as is the idea about pausing the queue.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by krognam View Post
    no shit, the game (while back when i played and pvped) was fun it was most certainly not worth me paying twice the sub fee and twice the purchase price just to avoid sitting around doing nothing while in a queue.

id rather go fly around and farm professions nodes than pay them more money to wait

I've thought about such a thing since they implemented LFG and the 30mins+ que times as dps. I highly doubt they will do this, the technology is just not there yet

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be nice, but I suspect that somehow the botters and afk-ers would manage to make a mess of it.

Its a good idea to a point,

Don't get me wrong I like it and I'm all for it, but everyone is only looking at one side of the coin,

What about if your in a heroic, and your tank or your healer bails because their main que has popped, your going to be pissed and I can guarantee we would see people making constant threads about it on here

OMG I WAS HALF WAY THROUGH A HEROIC AND THE TANK AND HEALER BAILED TO GO LFR ON THEIR MAINS

So My group just died because the healer left during a boss fight to go on his main

etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by BondGirl View Post
    I've thought about such a thing since they implemented LFG and the 30mins+ que times as dps. I highly doubt they will do this, the technology is just not there yet
    Imo, it's easy. E.g., you are on alt, and your main in queue, once it pops while you on alt - you get big window pop up on screen - "You need to relog to join your LFD/LFR run" with option to leave queue. You relog and accept dungeon pop up.

---------- Post added 2013-06-15 at 02:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    OMG I WAS HALF WAY THROUGH A HEROIC AND THE TANK AND HEALER BAILED TO GO LFR ON THEIR MAINS

So My group just died because the healer left during a boss fight to go on his main

etc etc
    Easy solution to this. You can queue only for 1 dungeon (LFD/LFR) per account at a time. You can't queue for LFR while in LFD. Voila.