Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    But the army doesn't make a pact that kills off a third of their recruits then slowly kills the rest.
    Technically they do.
    I dont know how im going to explain it to you.
    Its the profession of war.
    People die.

Also, whats with this notion that the grey wardens can predict the future and know when a blight is coming?
    Its not running on a timer, its dependant on events to fall in place.
    They need to always be ready for the blights, not just sit back and then drink a vial when the blight occurs, they wouldnt be ready, or used to having the darkspawn poison in them.
    And who would lead it?
    If there arent any grey wardens between the blights, none at all, oh boy, Murphys Law trembles with joy.
    It also appears that grey wardens are somewhat of diplomatic envoys during peacetime, and you can NOT disregard how important that is.
    Last edited by mmoce8c391acaa; 2013-08-05 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravath View Post
    Technically they do.
    People die.

Also, whats with this notion that the grey wardens can predict the future and know when a blight is coming?
    Its not running on a timer, its dependant on events to fall in place.
    They need to always be ready for the blights, not just sit back and then drink a vial when the blight occurs, they wouldnt be ready, or used to having the darkspawn poison in them.
    And who would lead it?
    If there arent any grey wardens between the blights, none at all, oh boy, Murphys Law trembles with joy.
    It also appears that grey wardens are somewhat of diplomatic envoys during peacetime, and you can NOT disregard how important that is.
    They can tell the Blights by how the darkspawn act, seeing if they're a blind raid attacking the surface or a full-scale invasion being led by an Old God.

And Origins kind of ruins the whole, "You need to be prepared," idea as the Blight is literally beaten by two Grey Warden newbies. One who had the taint for a few months, the other for a few days. Or how the battle of Ostagar was lost, not because of a lack of Grey Wardens, but because of a lack of actual soldiers.

And even if the Grey Wardens are the neutral party for the leaders, they still don't need to poisen themselves to be that, especially when very capable fighters are killed during the joining, again for no reason.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

Deleted
    They can tell the Blights by how the darkspawn act, seeing if they're a blind raid attacking the surface or a full-scale invasion being led by an Old God.
    Remember the start of DA:O?
    Everyone was utterly convinced that it wasnt a blight at all, they considered it to be just "blind raids" attacking the surface.

And Origins kind of ruins the whole, "You need to be prepared," idea as the Blight is literally beaten by two Grey Warden newbies. One who had the taint for a few months, the other for a few days.
    Im pretty sure we had to amass a goddamn army to beat the blight.
    And then we had Morrigan with us.
    There was more to beating the blight than just two "grey warden newbies".
    Even so, one had months to adjust to it, one had Plot Armour.

And in the end, it took slightly less than a year for the wardens to defeat the blight.
    Looking at the timetable, everything occured in Dragon year 30, but no detailed dates.

And even if the Grey Wardens are the neutral party for the leaders, they still don't need to poisen themselves to be that, especially when very capable fighters are killed during the joining, again for no reason.
    If they dont poison themselves, they are not grey wardens.
    The ability to sense the dark spawn is the critical point to the wardens, otherwise, they are just a security force.
    Last edited by mmoce8c391acaa; 2013-08-05 at 03:32 PM.

And Origins kind of ruins the whole, "You need to be prepared," idea as the Blight is literally beaten by two Grey Warden newbies. One who had the taint for a few months, the other for a few days. Or how the battle of Ostagar was lost, not because of a lack of Grey Wardens, but because of a lack of actual soldiers.

Alistair said that some experienced Grey Wardens could even understand the Archdemons.

Remember the start of DA:O?
    Everyone was utterly convinced that it wasnt a blight at all, they just saw the "blind raids" attacking the surface.

Well, not really everyone, just Calin and Logahin. Duncan was near certain, he just didn't say anything for... reasons. I'm not fully sure, the beginning was kind of odd as it sounded more like, "Let the King have his way because Grey Wardens in Ferelden are still strained and blah blah blah, I'll go lick his boots." While Duncan knows it was a Blight because of his travels.

And I do belive that Calin knew it was a Blight too, from the Return to Ostagar DLC, where he thinks that they'll all die there anyway, but acted optimistic to not mess up his men. Which is also strange as they make it seem they would have won the battle if Logahin wasn't being a major douchebag.

Technically they do.
    People die.
    By your analogy, something like a fifth of every person who dies in the US ever year would, as a result of this mortality rate among recruits, need to be a military fatality, none of whom would even have been combat ready.

But far be it for me to say that your analogy isn't valid...
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Im pretty sure we had to amass a goddamn army to beat the blight.
    And then we had Morrigan with us.
    There was more to beating the blight than just two "grey warden newbies".
    Even so, one had months to adjust to it, one had Plot Armour.

And in the end, it took slightly less than a year for the wardens to defeat the blight.
    Looking at the timetable, everything occured in Dragon year 30, but no detailed dates.

If they dont poison themselves, they are not grey wardens.
    The ability to sense the dark spawn is the critical point to the wardens, otherwise, they are just a security force.
    That's the thing though, they weren't Grey Wardens in the army, just normal soldiers. It proves you don't need to be a Grey Warden to fight them, just as it's shown that being one gives you no special ability other than being immune to the taint and being able to sense them, abilities that are never actually used in-game or in-lore. Their only real purpose is to kill-steal the Archdemon, which would only require a handful of Grey Wardens just in case one of them dies trying to fight and or reach it.

As for the timeline, Origins only lasts about two weeks, give or take a few days. (at least it is for the Human Noble Origin, can't remember the others well enough to be certain about them.)

And, okay, they aren't "Grey Wardens" I think abandoning your home and titles to fight these guys also gives you the requierment. As I've said, maybe there's more benefit to being able to sense them and be immune to the taint, but neither games, nor what I can gather from the books/comics shows that.

That's the thing though, they weren't Grey Wardens in the army, just normal soldiers. It proves you don't need to be a Grey Warden to fight them, just as it's shown that being one gives you no special ability other than being immune to the taint and being able to sense them, abilities that are never actually used in-game or in-lore. Their only real purpose is to kill-steal the Archdemon, which would only require a handful of Grey Wardens just in case one of them dies trying to fight and or reach it.

As for the timeline, Origins only lasts about two weeks, give or take a few days. (at least it is for the Human Noble Origin, can't remember the others well enough to be certain about them.)

And, okay, they aren't "Grey Wardens" I think abandoning your home and titles to fight these guys also gives you the requierment. As I've said, maybe there's more benefit to being able to sense them and be immune to the taint, but neither games, nor what I can gather from the books/comics shows that.
    In a dangerous world like that, being able to sense ds prevent you from gettin caught off guard. The armies that take on ds armies need to guided by grey wardens because experienced grey wardens could even know what ds are planning. They are all part of the same hive mind which is archdemons. There was one time that the camp in DA:O got ambushed by ds and Alistair and the main character sensed it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    By your analogy, something like a fifth of every person who dies in the US ever year would, as a result of this mortality rate among recruits, need to be a military fatality, none of whom would even have been combat ready.

But far be it for me to say that your analogy isn't valid...
    So everything needs to be 1:1 or they are completly different?
    I dont think you understand analogies, at fucking all.

10+ Year Old Account
    They have to try and maintain some semblance of order between the factions of thedas (except qunari and tevinter) because they have that pact thingie. The thing you use to get the dwarves and elves on your side in DA:O. If the dwarves and dalish are at war then that scrap of paper is pretty fuckign meaningless so you have to remind them that theirs bigger threats out there and they have to keep their eye on the ball.

Brings up a good question to. If theirs a new threat do we think the qunari will play a big roll in stopping it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    If the dwarves and dalish are at war then that scrap of paper is pretty fuckign meaningless so you have to remind them that theirs bigger threats out there and they have to keep their eye on the ball.
    If i remember right, the treaties basically just allows grey wardens to recruit the dalish etc in time of blights until its gone forever.
    And seeing how they can conscript anyone they want on the spot, and not even a king can object (but as the game itself says, its not always without consequenses) i find that if there was a dalish vs dwarf war then they would have to call a temporary truce.

And qunari assisting is likely as well.
    Qunari may be very strict as they might be the highest evolution of samurai mixed with bureaucrats, but they wouldnt risk their world being ruined because "Fight your own battles."
    The blight we fought in DA:O was a small and short one.
    Last edited by mmoce8c391acaa; 2013-08-06 at 10:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kankuri View Post
    This was WAY before any of these games were announced.

That being said, I'm borderline wanting to touch myself with anticipation over Project Eternity, Torment: Numenera, and Wasteland 2. Hell, even the new Shadowrun isn't that bad. The editor is super sexy.
    What is so sexy about the Shadowrun editor? It's the most restricted editor I have ever seen.. so restricted that you will never see mods for it on nexus.
    and the game itself is horrid, tablet designed.

Deleted
    Noone ever expects the spa- theredran inquisition.
    It will be nice to start out as the leader for once, bioware enjoys casting the players from the midpart.

And im thinking Cassandra will be a love interest and companion, she sure is getting alot of spotlight.

Deleted
    and the return of multiple player races
    Oh, that's new. I thought they were going down the "Human only" route again.

Edit: Also saw horse-riding footage in there. Very interesting.
    Last edited by mmoc65a9be75bb; 2013-08-06 at 04:30 PM.

And ridable horses!

Noone ever expects the spa- theredran inquisition.
    It will be nice to start out as the leader for once, bioware enjoys casting the players from the midpart.

And im thinking Cassandra will be a love interest and companion, she sure is getting alot of spotlight.
    I dunno, I was under the impression she was the main character. Guess not, though she'll certainly play a part (as Leiliana should, given DA2's ending).

Is that Varric on the cover there? Sure looks like Bianca <3

Deleted
    Shame that there isnt a way to become King-Consort with Alistair leading the grey wardens, loghain alive and return from the mirror with Morrigan and the Old God child without screwing around with a saveeditor that might not even work for DA:I, and it doesnt even have an "appearance" for your character which might render your warden invisible...

Oh well, i need to play through DA:O before Inq is released.
    Damn i cant be king again without losing either Alistair or Loghain... Can i sacrifise leliana instead? No? Damn.
    Guess i will have to settle as a noble without a title.
    Did human noble ever get a title?
    Considering that your brother Fergus is the oldest and therefor inherits the Teyrn title, what are the rest of left with?

Shame that there isnt a way to become King-Consort with Alistair leading the grey wardens, loghain alive and return from the mirror with Morrigan and the Old God child without screwing around with a saveeditor that might not even work for DA:I, and it doesnt even have an "appearance" for your character which might render your warden invisible...

Oh well, i need to play through DA:O before Inq is released.
    Damn i cant be king again without losing either Alistair or Loghain... Can i sacrifise leliana instead? No? Damn.
    Guess i will have to settle as a noble without a title.
    Did human noble ever get a title?
    Considering that your brother Fergus is the oldest and therefor inherits the Teyrn title, what are the rest of left with?
    If you move the Warden to Awakening he becomes the Commander as well as the Arl of Amaranthine, two titles for the price of one I'd say. And why would you want Loghain alive? World gets overrun with demons, he'd be raving about how the dwarves are plotting to dig Ferelden out from under them... or how your dog is scheming to take the throne. Then he'd probably strap small children to his soldiers to protect them in combat...

Deleted
    If you move the Warden to Awakening he becomes the Commander as well as the Arl of Amaranthine, two titles for the price of one I'd say. And why would you want Loghain alive? World gets overrun with demons, he'd be raving about how the dwarves are plotting to dig Ferelden out from under them... or how your dog is scheming to take the throne. Then he'd probably strap small children to his soldiers to protect them in combat...
    Those titles are for everyone, not just the noble origins.

And why wouldnt you want Loghain?
    Hes an experienced, competend and wise soldier and commander.
    And quite reasonable as a person.
    One of the best characters in Dragon Age overall, shame that he didnt have an appearance in DA2.

Theres some delicious irony seeing as how he defeated the orlesian empire, and now is working in Orleis with the wardens.
    Especially after
    Quote Originally Posted by Loghain
    Hate doesn't describe it, I see painted masked lords beat an old farmer to death with riding crops. To this day I don't know why, is that hate? I saw good sensible men fighting armored Chevaliers with nothing! No weapon, no armies, not even hope of success to see the occupation end, is that hate?
    (About Loghain's thoughts on the occupation of Ferelden)

If asked to consider Morrigan's offer, he will express reluctance to participate and request to be the one to sacrifice his life to strike the killing blow against the Archdemon, arguing that it is a form of redemption for his mistakes.

At the Landsmeet, after deciding to kill Loghain for his crimes:
    Anora: You can't do this! My father may have been wrong, but he is still a hero to the people."
    Loghain: "Anora, hush. It's over."
    Anora: "Stop treating me like a child. This is serious."
    Loghain: "Daughters never grow up, Anora. They remain six years old with pigtails and skinned knees forever."

Loghain: You can stop scowling at me, madam.
    Wynne: Did I need your permission? I see.
    Loghain: Fine. I confess: It was entirely my idea that Uldred consort with demons. I had a dastardly scheme in which the utter destruction of Ferelden's best weapon would benefit me, personally.
    Loghain: Are you satisfied now?
    Wynne: Do you think your deal with Uldred was where you earned my contempt? I was at Ostagar. I witnessed Cailan's murder.
    Loghain: Such loyalty.
    Wynne: What is that supposed to mean?
    Loghain: Did you try to save him, then? My apologies.
    Wynne: I was fortunate to escape with my life!
    Loghain: So you didn't rush to your king's rescue? I see. Then both of us left the boy to die.
    Wynne: I was no general at the head of an army! I could never have reached him!
    Loghain: And I had no magic that could break those darkspawn ranks. But perhaps you think I ought to have tried, regardless. No doubt, the lives of mere soldiers are cheap in the eyes of the Circle.
    Wynne: And what of all the soldiers who died with their king? Their lives were worth nothing to you.
    Loghain: You think so, do you? I knew their names, mage, and where they came from. I knew their families.
    Loghain: I do not know how you mages determine the value of things, but they were my men. I know exactly how much I lost that day.
    Last edited by mmoce8c391acaa; 2013-08-06 at 06:53 PM.