Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I went with AMD. I know Intel perform a lot better in general, but the best performance/cost ratio goes to AMD. 2 or 3 years back I bought a dual core phenom II at 3.3 ghz for 90$. I managed to unlock the other two cores and now I am running at 4x3.9ghz. For 90 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by rinleezwins View Post
    I went with AMD. I know Intel perform a lot better in general, but the best performance/cost ratio goes to AMD. 2 or 3 years back I bought
    2-3 years AMD indeed was better in price/performance but that's not the case anymore unless you're going for extreme low end budget. Intel's raw performance is so high now that even cheap i3 can easily match same price quad core AMD processors.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rinleezwins View Post
    but the best performance/cost ratio goes to AMD. 2 or 3 years back I bought a dual core phenom II at 3.3 ghz for 90$. I managed to unlock the other two cores and now I am running at 4x3.9ghz. For 90 bucks.
    Not anymore.

Chances are, an i3-3220 for $20 more will likely perform just as good. Even if it didn't, you're still stuck on the AMD platform, so if you ever want to upgrade, getting the best for your budget simply isn't an option (unless you switch to Intel).
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

if you think only about gaming and the experience, then you go intel. if you are on a budget you go something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Raidbozz View Post
    They don't...if they did then AMD processors wouldn't be around.
    It is true actually especially when they are benchmarked against each other, just like Nvidia and Ati with video cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Not anymore.

Chances are, an i3-3220 for $20 more will likely perform just as good. Even if it didn't, you're still stuck on the AMD platform, so if you ever want to upgrade, getting the best for your budget simply isn't an option (unless you switch to Intel).
    Yeah...people seem to have forgotton the I3's. I'd buy an I3 over an Athlon any day. They're just as cheap and still superior for any gaming (especially WoW).

AMD hasn't had better price/performance for at least 2 years.

I choose AMD cause I can get the best one and play my games on high settings.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    Yeah...people seem to have forgotton the I3's. I'd buy an I3 over an Athlon any day. They're just as cheap and still superior for any gaming (especially WoW).
    I dont think its fair to put a 60-80 euro CPU against a 100-120 euro cpu. I3s should be compared to the 4xxx and the 6xxx, and athlon vs celeron. But thats how I see it

Back in 10 years ago, individuals buy AMD, and claim it is fast for gaming.
    Large companies are conservative and buy Intel.

Deleted
    Certain games simply run better on Intel, for example Planetside II.

So I always choose Intel, because devs seem to utilize them better.

Basically Intel is dominating the market leaving AMD barely alive in order to sustain the oligopoly. If Intel wanted, AMD would be off the map, but that would not benefit Intel at all. So basically we buy as many Intel cpus as Intel wants us to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    I dont think its fair to put a 60-80 euro CPU against a 100-120 euro cpu. I3s should be compared to the 4xxx and the 6xxx, and athlon vs celeron. But thats how I see it
    Isn't it, though?
    The only AMD's that are 'worth their performance' is the $80-$100 segment (Athlon II X4 640, Athlon X4 750K, FX-4350). The lowest i3-3220 at $110 is better than all of those, and nobody can really say "I can't afford that extra $20 to make that jump". So that basically rules out AMD from gaming entirely.

"But but but you can overclock the FX-4350 and that's definitely better than an i3-3220!"

True! Very true! However you are now locked into AMD's platform, and if you have the money later to upgrade to 'best performance' you effectively lose $100 on the motherboard switch. AMD just doesn't have a competitive high end. Whereas you COULD have picked an Intel i3, and saved the $100 up front, and upgraded sooner, and better.

Really the only market (for gaming) AMD currently really applies to is two audiences

1) People with a low budget, who can't splurge and extra ~$120 on a likely $600 system, who don't intend to upgrade for 3+ years, and intend to overclock their FX-4350
    2) People who are uninformed about price/performance ratios, or are susceptible to marketing/advertising or pushy sales people
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-06-23 at 10:30 PM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

2) People who are uninformed about price/performance ratios, or are susceptible to marketing/advertising or pushy sales people
    Even there, we'll try too sell an i3 because first we do more money and we actually tell that an i3 (or anything higher) is better

I say we cause I now work in a pc shop =P (started 2 days ago)
    Last edited by Punisher; 2013-06-23 at 10:38 PM.
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
    Even there, we'll try too sell an i3 because first we do more money and we actually tell that an i3 (or anything higher) is better)
    Well a GOOD place will, but if you walk into best buy or something, they'll try to sell you whatever they need to get rid of >.>

Well a GOOD place will, but if you walk into best buy or something, they'll try to sell you whatever they need to get rid of >.>
    Well im in a staple, and we actually suggest product that the customer need, but I agree that most of the stores will sell you the crap they don't need anymore.
    Last edited by Punisher; 2013-06-23 at 10:59 PM.
    My first build:
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to play some devils advocate here, I give you the anandtech 2013 buyers guide. Now please read it all however the important put was this.

-A CPU for Single GPU Gaming: A8-5600K + Core Parking updates
    -A CPU for Dual GPU Gaming: i5-2500K or FX-8350
    -A CPU for Tri-GPU Gaming: i7-4770K with an x8/x4/x4 (AMD) or PLX (NVIDIA) motherboard
    -A CPU for Quad-GPU Gaming: i7-3770K with a PLX motherboard

To be fair however these forums have a bias as they are built around mmo players primarily, mmo's favour intel (thus far maybe this will change some day who knows), so advice is provided on the premise that you play an mmo unless you state otherwise.

P.s. I've got an A8-6600k coming for my htpc (that my little brother and sister will be sent to for playing their games on seeing i'm over them 'borrowing' my rig), so I intend to test this out and see what kind of overclocks it can hit + dump my 7870xt in it for a while to see how well it handles. If it does well I would have no drama's recommending the chip to someone so long as they are aware of the upgrade path limitations, then again most people here seem to be wanting to hold onto rig's for so long that upgrade path is completely pointless because the sockets they were running are ancient 'dead' tech.
    Last edited by slasher0161; 2013-06-23 at 11:26 PM.
    Personal rig:
    • i5-3570k (4.2ghz) || CM hyper 212 evo || Asrock extreme 4 || Corsair (2 x 4gb 1600mhz) ram
    • Samsung 840 (120gb) || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb
    • Powercolor 7870xt || Silverstone strider 500w ||NZXT source 210

Quote Originally Posted by slasher0161 View Post
    <snip>.
    Yeah, I saw the guide, but I think there is some weird choices in it, like the 2500k, you can't even find it on newegg...
    My first build:

Quote Originally Posted by slasher0161 View Post
    I'm going to play some devils advocate here, I give you the anandtech 2013 buyers guide. Now please read it all however the important put was this.

-A CPU for Single GPU Gaming: A8-5600K + Core Parking updates
    -A CPU for Dual GPU Gaming: i5-2500K or FX-8350
    -A CPU for Tri-GPU Gaming: i7-4770K with an x8/x4/x4 (AMD) or PLX (NVIDIA) motherboard
    -A CPU for Quad-GPU Gaming: i7-3770K with a PLX motherboard
    What a joke as a 2013 guide... i5-2500K is no longer available from Newegg and how i7-3770k is better than i7-4770k for multi GPU gaming?
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
    Yeah, I saw the guide, but I think there is some weird choices in it, like the 2500k, you can't even find it on newegg...
    The 2500k I was scratching my head about as well and honestly I understand that you can buy them (amazon) and they consistently got good overclocks and finally that the guide really didn't have anything with cost as a mandatory sticking point, however I see little point in a 2500k when an ivy will in some cases be cheaper + still get a decent overclock.

Anyway i'm tempted to test these apu's out hopefully mine will be here at the end of the week, in which case time to canabalize some components and give it a test (I feel a hyper 212 should be a fair cooler to oc it with seeing if someone is buying a better cooler than that for their apu they are probably looking at buying a low end i5-3xxx series).
    Personal rig:
    • i5-3570k (4.2ghz) || CM hyper 212 evo || Asrock extreme 4 || Corsair (2 x 4gb 1600mhz) ram
    • Samsung 840 (120gb) || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb
    • Powercolor 7870xt || Silverstone strider 500w ||NZXT source 210

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    What a joke as a 2013 guide... i5-2500K is no longer available from Newegg and how i7-3770k is better than i7-4770k for multi GPU gaming?
    z77 with PLX is a more tried experienced than z87. I'm personally still not familiar with how PCIE-lanes on z87 work while using USB3.0 and s-ATA 3.0 at the same time, I think I heard, pre-launch, that these will share PCIE-bandwidth.
    &nbsp;