Bloodsail Admiral Colonel Sandor's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Rexxar most likely not warchief (Interview with Mike Stackpole)

http://theinstance.net/2013/06/inter...micky-neilson/ around 14:30.

(Shortened slightly)

"I'm a big Rexxar fan, I was really really pushing for Rexxar to be in this book. We went back and looked at the history with Chen, and rexxar, and Vol'jin, and all the things he's been through, and I got out voted on Rexxar"

So the author wanted to put Rexxar in the book but Metzen and other writes decided against it. Not only is Rexxar not being mentioned, Blizzard is pretending he doesn't exist, and this expansion would have been the ideal time.

To me this confirms he will not be Warchief.

This has been my main reasoning for arguing that Rexxar will not, and should not, become Warchief. Not only did the writers decide to use chen for the role instead of him, but he's been completely absent for several expansions now. The general playerbase likely doesn't know who he is. They need to bring him back early and establish who he is for new players or those that didn't do this quests in bc, not just thrust him into the role with little build up. And a character like Rexxar doubly needs a story arc to become warchief because he has a disdain for civilization and cities, so even if you go with the reluctant leader trope, you STILL need a story where he is the only one that can do the job to get him to take it out of neccessity. And he's NOT the only person around that can do the job, and IMHO he's much better served as the horde's champion than as its ruler.

As for Chen I actually think having Chen involved instead of Rexxar is a good idea considering the setting of this expansion. Chen is on Pandaria, one of the main Pandaren characters (in the cinematic even), and was involved in the founding of orgrimmar too if less so than Rexxar. I mean, why would Rexxar even BE on Pandaria? What purpose would he have, how would he get there, why would he leave Outland to go there? Not like he could get there by his usual wandering of the wilds.

what the hell is with this obsession with rexxar? I liked playing him as much as other people in tft but he has barely done anything since vanilla wow besides the one quest in desolace and handing out some quest in blades edge

Deleted
    Characters/people like Rexxar could never become a leading role in an organization such as the Horde, simply because they want to live their lives in the way they want. Rexxar is a a hermit and doesn't want to be in a center of attention.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you people actually think he would? Seriously? You actually thought a character who has had zero involvement in the current story, a character who in his past has said he doesn't want anything to do with people or politics, and only comes into the picture when the horde needs someone to show as a token hero, that he would become warchief based on.... THAT?

Really, I need to know, do you hear yourselves out loud when you write this?
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Did you people actually think he would? Seriously? You actually thought a character who has had zero involvement in the current story, a character who in his past has said he doesn't want anything to do with people or politics, and only comes into the picture when the horde needs someone to show as a token hero, that he would become warchief based on.... THAT?

People who think Rexxar would actually be Warchief are taking the conclusion they want, Rexxar becoming Warchief, and coming up with ways it 'could' happen despite no evidence from the story that it will, instead of looking at what we have and trying to guess who will take the position next.

For others, I think they want Rexxar to be warchief but don't honestly think he will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    They should've rather pretended Chen didn't exist instead.

Rexxar is in my eyes the personification of the Horde, representing everything the Horde is about on his own.
    Why not Chen? Chen is fucking awesome.

They should've thrown in Rexxar.

He may make an appearance in 5.4. Let's hope he does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

As much as I like Rexxar, most of the posters here have a point. There is no way Blizzard will put a character that has almost zero involvement with the current storyline into being leader of the Horde, just because he "cool" or "badass"

Rexxar USED TO be involved with the Horde, the keyword being USED TO. He is gone for so long that most of the people under the new Horde barely remember him at all (I'm talking regular Horde citizens, not IRL players). Also people change, so the new Horde would be almost unrecognizable by Rexxar with all the warmongering and bloodlust and civil conflict.

The only way he can be Warchief is if Blizzard starts building him up into the storyline , like Garrosh starting waaaay back from BC. So maybe he will be Warchief six years from now if Blizzard starts putting effort introducing him *right now*. But from the looks of it, Blizzard doesn't even have the intention of doing it.
    Last edited by corebit; 2013-06-26 at 03:33 PM.

Rexxar is one of my favorite characters, and I hope he gets put in the next expansion as a main player. That said, it's too late now to have him do anything important in MoP.

10+ Year Old Account
    How is this a suprise to anyone? Do people who like Rexxar actually understand hes character AT ALL? He doesnt WANT to do anything with politics, he hates beeing around society. Hes a beast master, he doesnt' want and WILL NOT take the roll, anyone who expected that doesnt actually know how his character works and just likes how he looks. I like Rexxar also, but makeing him warchief is nothing short of stupid, he literally has nothing to do with the current situation within the Horde.

Chen has MUCH MUCH more reason to be around and have more development considering hes pandaren and hes homeland has been afected pretty hardcore thanks to Garrosh. (Not birth homeland, rather heritage)

Logic is a virtue, use it.
    Last edited by Shampro; 2013-06-26 at 03:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Orc View Post
    To me this confirms he will not be Warchief.
    Well, most of us had very little doubts about it, except some die-hards that let their personal tastes and preferences to overcome logic. This knowledge just cement it even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post

A lot of people are hopeful that a character they like would come into the spotlight again, sure. Especially when there is a fairly good reason for them to do so. It is fully conceivable that Rexxar would keep tabs on the Horde, or someone would keep in touch with him, leading him to learn of what is happening... and then all it takes is for him to make a decision to do something about it. He's not a cripple; he can get his butt through the Dark Portal and over to Durotar.

I personally have been waiting for Saurfang to return. He promised he would, and here is his opportunity -- but I also recognize that CDev sometimes becomes forgetful about characters and their motives, and/or is fully comfortable with sidelining them indefinitely (see: Rexxar, Turalyon, etc.).