Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would add a 2 TB HDD or 2 to the SSD:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16822136891

SSD's are great to have and last a very long time, but it's always a good investment to back up your data on a regular HDD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Build is all over the place, as5 with a 212 is not a good mix (your thermal compound should not be 1/3 the cost of your cooler) also as5 has a cure time and i've heard can be painful to apply properly (I assume by asking about the build you haven't used thermal compounds much).
    Also I wouldn't buy that case especially at that price point, 0 cable management space, non removeable drive cages, at best as sturdy as an NZXT source 210 and piss poor airflow (don't let their advertisement tell you othewise the airflow would be horrendous unless you had fans making considerable noise).
    Then your putting a 4770k with a gtx770 in there...

Before you order anything can you give us a budget, uses for the rig, (assuming location is canada) and any existing hardware they already have. Those parts technically will work but it is a build I can see regrets on and highly likely a lot of kicking yourselves for not changing a couple of things about (Would also personally avoid haswell or spend some coin on a decent heat sink).

The linked parts come to a total of $1448.50 (~$1450) + postage. In a minute i'll link you a more balanced build for that price. Assuming you already have a storage drive and PSU as they weren't linked, i'll also add a little reasoning for why I pick what I do.

Case options:
    - Corsair 300r about what you were spending before but much better quality case
    - NZXT phantom 410 Alright, more expensive, not sure about compatibility with h100i without modding
    - Fractal R4 Probably the best case of the lot (costs a touch more but it is justified).

I've put the R4 into the quoted price because 1 its the most expensive (if you choose the others thats $$ in the pocket to invest elsewhere) and also it would be my personal pick.

The build I would recommend unless other points are raised to justify otherwise.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Amazon Canada)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Memory Express)
    Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.50 @ Vuugo)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($659.99 @ Memory Express)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Memory Express)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.50 @ Vuugo)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX)
    Total: $1469.93
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-29 03:57 EDT-0400)

Ivy over haswell as there is too much silicon lottery in haswell at the moment (ivy with h100i you can be 99% sure of getting a nice stable 4.8ghz 24/7 OC)
    8gb of ram over 16gb, there is simply no need for 16gb of ram at the moment and for the exact same excuse of "Ram is cheap" that people use to justify 16gb I would say get more later if you find you need it
    h100i over CM212 evo, why joke around when your spending 1500 and get a cheap cooler?
    840 over 840 pro, outside of doing massive amounts of writes you will never notice the difference and if you were doing that I think you would be buying at least a 256gb SSD (Why does the 128gb pro even exist really?)
    Define r4 over that horrible old NZXT case (trust me the pictures take the most flattering angles if you had to build in that other thing you could kick yourself (and the cost is almost identical)
    LG optical drive (because who actually uses an optical drive anymore honestly?) cheapest does the job fine
    Windows 8 over windows 7, it is just better if you don't like the 'modern ui' it takes literally 15mins to change it to look like win 7. Also if you run a dual monitor set up if you arrange your desktop and spend 2 weeks to learn how to use it you will probably never notice the difference and not want to go back just for how fast it boots (my system in my sig gets around a 25-30sec cold boot and i've never bothered timing a restart, its too fast to bother).
    Finally a gtx 780 simply because it fit in the budget and going evga means if you ever decide to custom loop it your warrenty is still good.
    Last edited by slasher0161; 2013-06-29 at 08:07 AM.
    Personal rig:
    • i5-3570k (4.2ghz) || CM hyper 212 evo || Asrock extreme 4 || Corsair (2 x 4gb 1600mhz) ram
    • Samsung 840 (120gb) || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb
    • Powercolor 7870xt || Silverstone strider 500w ||NZXT source 210

Quote Originally Posted by slasher0161 View Post
    Build is all over the place, as5 with a 212 is not a good mix (your thermal compound should not be 1/3 the cost of your cooler) also as5 has a cure time and i've heard can be painful to apply properly (I assume by asking about the build you haven't used thermal compounds much).
    Also I wouldn't buy that case especially at that price point, 0 cable management space, non removeable drive cages, at best as sturdy as an NZXT source 210 and piss poor airflow (don't let their advertisement tell you othewise the airflow would be horrendous unless you had fans making considerable noise).
    Then your putting a 4770k with a gtx770 in there...

Before you order anything can you give us a budget, uses for the rig, (assuming location is canada) and any existing hardware they already have. Those parts technically will work but it is a build I can see regrets on and highly likely a lot of kicking yourselves for not changing a couple of things about (Would also personally avoid haswell or spend some coin on a decent heat sink).

The linked parts come to a total of $1448.50 (~$1450) + postage. In a minute i'll link you a more balanced build for that price. Assuming you already have a storage drive and PSU as they weren't linked, i'll also add a little reasoning for why I pick what I do.

Case options:
    - Corsair 300r about what you were spending before but much better quality case
    - NZXT phantom 410 Alright, more expensive, not sure about compatibility with h100i without modding
    - Fractal R4 Probably the best case of the lot (costs a touch more but it is justified).

I've put the R4 into the quoted price because 1 its the most expensive (if you choose the others thats $$ in the pocket to invest elsewhere) and also it would be my personal pick.

The build I would recommend unless other points are raised to justify otherwise.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Amazon Canada)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Memory Express)
    Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.50 @ Vuugo)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($659.99 @ Memory Express)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Memory Express)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.50 @ Vuugo)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX)
    Total: $1469.93
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-29 03:57 EDT-0400)

Ivy over haswell as there is too much silicon lottery in haswell at the moment (ivy with h100i you can be 99% sure of getting a nice stable 4.8ghz 24/7 OC)
    8gb of ram over 16gb, there is simply no need for 16gb of ram at the moment and for the exact same excuse of "Ram is cheap" that people use to justify 16gb I would say get more later if you find you need it
    h100i over CM212 evo, why joke around when your spending 1500 and get a cheap cooler?
    840 over 840 pro, outside of doing massive amounts of writes you will never notice the difference and if you were doing that I think you would be buying at least a 256gb SSD (Why does the 128gb pro even exist really?)
    Define r4 over that horrible old NZXT case (trust me the pictures take the most flattering angles if you had to build in that other thing you could kick yourself (and the cost is almost identical)
    LG optical drive (because who actually uses an optical drive anymore honestly?) cheapest does the job fine
    Windows 8 over windows 7, it is just better if you don't like the 'modern ui' it takes literally 15mins to change it to look like win 7. Also if you run a dual monitor set up if you arrange your desktop and spend 2 weeks to learn how to use it you will probably never notice the difference and not want to go back just for how fast it boots (my system in my sig gets around a 25-30sec cold boot and i've never bothered timing a restart, its too fast to bother).
    Finally a gtx 780 simply because it fit in the budget and going evga means if you ever decide to custom loop it your warrenty is still good.
    BAM AND THAT SHIT RIGHT THERE IS WHY I LOVE THIS BOARD! I am a rookie at building computers so thats why I figured I would ask here before he bought anything. The storage and PSU he already has so really he needed everything you listed. Thank you so much for giving me such a detailed post. It both helped and educated me haha.
    Last edited by Xyres; 2013-06-30 at 04:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No problems
    Personal rig:
    • i5-3570k (4.2ghz) || CM hyper 212 evo || Asrock extreme 4 || Corsair (2 x 4gb 1600mhz) ram
    • Samsung 840 (120gb) || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb
    • Powercolor 7870xt || Silverstone strider 500w ||NZXT source 210

Deleted
    If your friend is only playing at 1080p/60 Hz, I would switch the 780 out for a 770/7970.

10+ Year Old Account
    i, too, would suggest a 770 if he is at 1920x1080, specifically the MSI TF one. what PSU does he have?

---------- Post added 2013-06-30 at 01:50 PM ----------

and for reference the H100i fits in the NZXT Phantom 410