Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    does dota 2 which is the biggest game in the world but still in "beta" not count?.. ive heard alot of people think its pretty damn good too.
    Um...it's not even close to being the biggest game in the world. Concurrent player peaks on Steam are mid 300k, which is significantly lower than its competitor League (who have posted much higher concurrent players), and there are a number of other games with far more sales/active accounts/higher concurrent player peaks.

DOTA 2 is a very successful and popular game, but because it's still not "released" people sometimes forget about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Um...it's not even close to being the biggest game in the world. Concurrent player peaks on Steam are mid 300k, which is significantly lower than its competitor League (who have posted much higher concurrent players), and there are a number of other games with far more sales/active accounts/higher concurrent player peaks.

DOTA 2 is a very successful and popular game, but because it's still not "released" people sometimes forget about it.
    the only source which says its not the biggest is riot itself.

Even on things like twitch its watched by more people.. but hey im not going to argue on something as daft as this as it was to prove that since portal valve has made a popular and highly received game.

*edit* im way off LoL is watched by more and played by more.. oh well (dont play either nor do i have any intention).
    Last edited by mmoccc0b2dd691; 2013-07-03 at 07:47 PM.

Even on things like twitch its watched by more people.. but hey im not going to argue on something as daft as this as it was to prove that since portal valve has made a popular and highly received game.
    Orly?

Pulled from Twitch about 30 seconds ago. Not saying League is better than DOTA 2 or anything (I happen to enjoy League more, but that's entirely subjective), but saying that DOTA 2 surpasses League in terms of popularity (which again, is not a statement of quality) is incorrect.

Even on things like twitch its watched by more people.. but hey im not going to argue on something as daft as this.
    Uh, I'm on twitch literally all day, and the only time Dota 2 has even close to as many viewers as lol is when there's no good lol streamers on, and there's a Dota 2 tournament at the same time. In fact, most days Dota 2 is behind SC2. Right now in fact, lol 100,715 viewers, SC2 45,935 viewers, Dota 2 36,072 viewers.

There's plenty of times when a single lol streamer, like Voyboy, can have more viewers than all Dota 2 streams combined. Heck, I remember before the All Stars tournament, Wickd had over 175k viewers during his 1v1 with Soaz to decide who would be the EU top laner.

Edit: Damn, edgecrusher beat me to it.

rare going from making amazing games like dk64, banjo kazooie series etc, to rare being owned by microsoft is easily the biggest tragedy in gaming history
    Last edited by Gilthresa; 2013-07-04 at 11:50 AM.

Deleted
    like i said before i got it wrong.. but that wasnt the point i was making. its the fact no1 mentioned it after portal 2. which proves theyre still making games.. right?

10+ Year Old Account
    ToR would have been more fun as a single player game with dungeons. Kind of like Mass Effect 3's multiplayer, but with combat roles.

Mass Effect 3 was so strange, it felt detached from the first 2, and the ending was too supernatural.

Mass Effect 1 and 2, KotOR and Jade Empire are some of my favorite games.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilthresa View Post
    rare going from making amazing games like dk64, banjo kazooie serioues etc, to rare being owned by microsoft is easily the biggest tragedy in gaming history
    Ugh, and the fact that they farmed out the development of the new Killer Instinct to Double Helix -_-

It's a shame to see what has happened to Rare since the days when their games were on Nintendo : (

10+ Year Old Account
    My hope was that EA will get crushed under customer pressure and stop their poor business practices. In return, stop ruining Bioware.

The reality is that's not going to happen. You can go to the Bioware forums now and many people will tell you that EA does not influence Bioware, but that is a complete lie. Anyone that has read one or two business articles involving EA would know they are directly forcing them to change the way the make games.

Things to consider as in point. EA has publicly stated that it forces all its subsidiaries now to make only multiplayer games. THIS IS A FACT.
    Bioware NOW only makes RPG's with multiplayer in them... coincidence?

EA also mandates heavily into pay to win microtransactions, not pay to be cosmetic. Don't be surprised if you see more and more of them in Bioware games.

Before EA acquired Bioware, their shareholders were extremely worried that the business strategy was watery down their market share and that the games they were making were not diverse. Do you know what EA answer to there shareholders was?
    We will buy Bioware.. and that will give us more diverse products.
    It was not changing their poor business strategies of watery down games. See above, forcing all games to be multiplayer games.

Sure, EA went back on its online pass practices, but that was only a small cog in the ways that EA is destroying Bioware.

The video on the front page desrcibed everything else fairly well.

Deleted
    Ugh, and the fact that they farmed out the development of the new Killer Instinct to Double Helix -_-

It's a shame to see what has happened to Rare since the days when their games were on Nintendo : (
    its because nintendo has a hands on approach.. they even do it with outsourced titles.

Tragedy implies that something of value was lost.

I'd honestly go with Free Radical(Now Crytek UK, I think) being the most tragic.Goes from making some of the best console first person shooters to making multiplayer map packs and frakking Homefront 2.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...s-the-monsters

without starting a flamefest FF: ARR looks to be an amazing game and if the next waves of MMOs coming out this year and following years are of equal quality or greater then WoW will be hurt severely. The only people that will be left are the hardcore RPers, trolls, and the kids that get their moms to pay for Pokecraft.

I don't see any reason to play anymore after this xpac I mean i DID resub because I was bored and honestly i want to see garosh get killed but as others have stated its not about the game anymore its about making everything available to everyone and its lost the love of so many over the years.

I think bioware is a great company but they have declined failing on same issues like WoW is. ME3 was a huge disappointment but i love the series so much I will buy everyone they make as long as its still tied to the main characters I can live without Shep if I had to but not without the rest of the team. Dragon age 2... now that was probably the worst game ive ever played. Not knowing ANYTHING about the game I bought it because I thought it was going to continue off my DA1 story...
    DA3 will be interesting to see how it ties into the first game IF it does i mean its probably got some stupid twist set in the future and nobody else you know from the story is even alive...
    It happens a lot ( and this is my honest opinion ) WoWs decline was further strengthened with activision
    WoW---->Activision
    Bioware----> EA
    SquareSoft----->Enix(SquareEnix)---->EA ( Which is why single player FF games suck so bad these days )
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure about it being the biggest tragedy but it's certainly up there some where. I've never seen a game developer lose its way so fast...went from hit after hit to fail after fail. Seeing the Bioware name on a game used to mean you could rest assured that it was a quality title, now it's worthless, and I think that's a little sad, but yeah, they have no one to blame but themselves for their downfall.
    Last edited by Teroseth; 2013-07-03 at 10:01 PM.
    A smart man puts his money on the horse with the best odds...a wise man doesn't waste his money gambling on an outcome he has no control over.
    A blog thing for you! http://yetisteaparty.blogspot.co.uk
    A youtube thinghttp://www.youtube.com/user/Teroseth/

Quote Originally Posted by tru View Post
    SquareSoft----->Enix(SquareEnix)---->EA ( Which is why single player FF games suck so bad these days )
    Wait...what does EA have to do with Squeenix...I'm horribly confused.

And FYI the height of WoW (LK) came post merger with Activision, so you can't really say that the two companies merging led to a direct decline.

Ubisoft is getting back up there now that they've removed the DRM
    They didn't remove DRM, they just shifted it to Steam like Uplay system which is fairly evident if you try to launch any of their recent games from Steam. It always opens Uplay to the backround.

But yeah, Ubisoft has been improving themselves very much lately to a point that I momentarily lifted my and bought my first game from them in many years recently (Blood Dragon)

- - - Updated - - -

Wait...what does EA have to do with Squeenix...I'm horribly confused.

And FYI the height of WoW (LK) came post merger with Activision, so you can't really say that the two companies merging led to a direct decline.
    Well, the decline with EA nowdays also happens but with couple years of delay (In the 90's, early '00s it was immediate) . It always comes though.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I'd say Rare is the biggest tragedy in gaming history...how do you go from Battletoads, Killer Instinct, Perfect Dark, GoldenEye and DK Country etc. to making shitty kinect sports titles D:
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Things to consider as in point. EA has publicly stated that it forces all its subsidiaries now to make only multiplayer games. THIS IS A FACT.
    Bioware NOW only makes RPG's with multiplayer in them... coincidence?
    I doubt that's actually a thing. DA2 didn't have MP in it, and I'd be shocked if DA3 would have it. It just doesn't work with RPG's like that. If it did, I can't imagine it being anything less than absolute horrible though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vathdar View Post
    I doubt that's actually a thing. DA2 didn't have MP in it, and I'd be shocked if DA3 would have it. It just doesn't work with RPG's like that. If it did, I can't imagine it being anything less than absolute horrible though.
    http://kotaku.com/5863668/surprise-d...ng-multiplayer

I don't think I have to mention why multiplayer is bad for an rpg for class balance issues alone...

10+ Year Old Account
    If bioware is a tragedy? Then what the hell is THQ?
    Aye mate