Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mexico deemed fattest country world

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/08/mexi...ation_partner/

The FAO last month reported Mexico has a 32.8 percent adult obesity rate — just above America’s 31.8 percent — blaming increasingly industrialized agricultural production for a worldwide epidemic of both obesity and malnutrition. The Mexican rate may pale beside tiny, heavyweight countries like the Cook Islands, but it ranked Mexico the fattest, populous nation.

Isn't like half the country in abject poverty to begin with?
    Last edited by n1ck301; 2013-07-09 at 08:35 PM.

Congrats Mexico!

Let the fat hating begin.

Oh incidentally, interesting story I heard from a friend this week. While she was pregnant she called a cab to take a short trip because she didn't feel up to walking it. The cab driver arrived and refused to let her get in because a fatty like her needs the walk.

Back to your fat hating now. It's doing great things for how people treat each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Windfury View Post
    Congrats Mexico!

Oh incidentally, interesting story I heard from a friend this week. While she was pregnant she called a cab to take a short trip because she didn't feel up to walking it. The cab driver arrived and refused to let her get in because a fatty like her needs the walk.

Back to your fat hating now. It's doing great things for how people treat each other.
    I highly doubt a cab driver in today's economy would turn down a fare. Also it's extremely easy to differentiate between someone who is morbidly obese and someone who is pregnant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol I can't believe they are passed the US, even thought it is only by 1%. Although our population is 3x theirs, so I still think the US is the fattest country.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Quote Originally Posted by n1ck301 View Post
    I highly doubt a cab driver in today's economy would turn down a fare. Also it's extremely easy to differentiate between someone who is morbidly obese and someone who is pregnant.
    Well they did /shrug

I'm in Australia though, so different economic climate.

And no it really isn't, apparently there's a few months of pregnancy where you can't really tell or be positive the person is pregnant, they just look bigger generally - at least thorough their clothes which is how everyone sees them. I've never been pregnant but friends say it's around the 5 month period.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a big difference between fat and morbidly obese. As a person who has asked someone "how far along are you?" and then found out the hard way they weren't pregnant, sometimes it is hard to tell when they are just fat (not morbidly obese).
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/08/mexi...ation_partner/

The FAO last month reported Mexico has a 32.8 percent adult obesity rate — just above America’s 31.8 percent — blaming increasingly industrialized agricultural production for a worldwide epidemic of both obesity and malnutrition. The Mexican rate may pale beside tiny, heavyweight countries like the Cook Islands, but it ranked Mexico the fattest, populous nation.

Isn't like half the country in abject poverty to begin with?
    Poor people are more likely to subsist on low quality, unhealthy food that can lead to obesity. Argentina has it pretty bad as the poorest people buy the fatty off-cuts from beef sent to the international market.

Yeah, it is pretty easy to tell the difference, but in this situation that isn't the case. Fat =/= morbidly obese.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Windfury View Post
    Congrats Mexico!

That cab driver had some seriously bad eyes if he couldn't see if a woman is pregnant. It's just so extremely obvious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dear World,

Get Your Weight Up!

Signed,

North America.

Oh yeah Canada you can party with the big boys, just make sure you bring poutine and maple syrup.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wheeee! We're number two! We're number two! We're number two!
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Wheeee! We're number two! We're number two! We're number two!
    Second place doesn't exist, it was made to make losers feel better! START EATING!
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck what the scientists and "facts" say we still #1
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

While 1% more Mexicans might classify as "obese", I'm pretty sure that there is no country other than the US with so many *morbidly* obese people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Fuck what the scientists and "facts" say we still #1
    lol, doesn't seem to matter what it is with you Americans, as long as you're the best at it!
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    While 1% more Mexicans might classify as "obese", I'm pretty sure that there is no country other than the US with so many *morbidly* obese people.
    Since most out athletes are obese or morbidly obese per the BMI then sure why not?

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Since most out athletes are obese or morbidly obese per the BMI then sure why not?
    Are you trying to say that the obesity statistics in the US are due to overly buff people?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    BMI estimates by weight and actual BMI are two entirely different things.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    BMI estimates by weight and actual BMI are two entirely different things.
    No, the BMI is a specific formula measuring the ratio between your height and weight - BMI = weight(kg) / square[height (m)]. There's only 1 BMI figure for each person. The difference you're thinking of is BMI vs BF% (Bodyfat percentage).