Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Booshman View Post
    It's not "moving the goal posts", when you demonstrably fail at putting two and two together.
    It's more like "trying to change the venue entirely"
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by krisusu View Post
    Just look at census results or anything that shows any sort of demographic information. "Race" and "Hispanic Origin" are two different categories meaning, quite obviously, that one can be Hispanic and any racial designation.
    And that right there is true and should put the argument to rest.

"Hispanic" is not a race, its a ethnicity, similar to calling someone Jewish (not referring to their religion). You don't put "Jewish" down as your race, nor do yuu put "Hispanic".

How the US Census defines race

What is Race?

The data on race were derived from answers to the question on race that was asked of individuals in the United States. The Census Bureau collects racial data in accordance with guidelines provided by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB), and these data are based on self-identification.

The racial categories included in the census questionnaire generally reflect a social definition of race recognized in this country and not an attempt to define race biologically, anthropologically, or genetically. In addition, it is recognized that the categories of the race item include racial and national origin or sociocultural groups. People may choose to report more than one race to indicate their racial mixture, such as “American Indian” and “White.” People who identify their origin as Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish may be of any race.

OMB requires five minimum categories: White, Black or African American, American Indian or Alaska Native, Asian, and Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander.

For the OMB definitions of these categories, please click on the “About Race” tab above.
    Zimmerman is a white dude of Hispanic origin. Sammie Sosa was a black dude of Hispanic origin, now how he is a white dude of Hispanic origin.

Riots, with black people. Hispanics have nothing to do with this. Besides your own speculation, I'd like some tangible proof that they were trying to race bait. And your point about immigration would only mean something if there were only white-Hispanics coming to the US.

- - - Updated - - -

Why don't you try using your eyes and your brain for a change? Instead of failed knee-jerking? Look at Argentina, and how there's a group that says "white". Or is that not a Hispanic country all of a sudden?

Yeah...you're either a blatant liar, or you can't read. As Peru is listed. On both of my sources. White and White-Mixed Hispanics make up the majority of the country.
    The proof would be that the race baiters in the US media almost exclusively use the term "white hispanic" when talking about the GZ trial, and yet, post and pre GZ, they rarely, if ever, used the term "white hispanic, and nearly always just say latino or hispanic.

You suggested this is a poorly timed self correction by these people in the US media, and yet, post-GZ, they continue to use the terms hispanic and latino.
    The "poorly timed self correction" argument is obviously inaccurate, since the race baiters continue to use the terms hispanic and latino.

Do you have any other argument as to why the race baiters in the US media continue to use the term hispanic and latino when not discussing GZ? I would love to hear it. Perhaps GZ requested that the media call him a white hispanic and i missed the video? could you link the video if that is the case. I will happily admit I am wrong if you could link some such video.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    I am neither directly African or American (family is from Trini, and I'm Canadian) but I have to say it's much easier to twist 'the blacks' into a negative light than it is to twist 'African American'. I mean, you don't really call all brown people 'browns' just because you're not 100% sure where they're from, right? At least saying African American makes it SOUND like you're attempting to be politically correct. Then again, I find it hilarious that Americans still find it acceptable to call their native americans 'Indians', so what do I know.
    (1/2 black, 1/4th native, 1/4th white. 0% offended by any of this, 0% politically correct. Just giving my view on how silly political correctness can be.)
    So if black is negative, then why isnt white? They are both colors

I work for a FD in Florida. On our EMS reports, under race, we have a choice of white hispanic and black hispanic. Don't know what prompted the change, it used to be just hispanic, but it's been like that for 10 years now.
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.5 GHz | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series | EVGA GTX 780SC with ACX cooler| Crucial M4 128GB | Samsung 840 256GB| Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB |Western Digital 1 TB Black | CM Hyper 212 Evo (with a push/pull config) | Fractal Design Arc Midi | SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze | Corsair K60 | Razor Naga |JVC HARX900 | BenQ RL2455 | Samsung Syncmaster S24B300

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    It's more like "trying to change the venue entirely"
    Whatever helps you sleep at night. You've been proven to be wrong. Even if you don't want to acknowledge the facts. Which isn't my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    So if black is negative, then why isnt white? They are both colors
    It probably goes back more to day and night, at least the connotation to light and dark. Or even Yin-Yang, but Yin isn't quite the same as bad to Yang's good.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Khoranth View Post
    The proof would be that the race baiters in the US media almost exclusively use the term "white hispanic" when talking about the GZ trial, and yet, post and pre GZ, they rarely, if ever, used the term "white hispanic, and nearly always just say latino or hispanic.

You suggested this is a poorly timed self correction by these people in the US media, and yet, post-GZ, they continue to use the terms hispanic and latino.
    The "poorly timed self correction" argument is obviously inaccurate, since the race baiters continue to use the terms hispanic and latino.

Do you have any other argument as to why the race baiters in the US media continue to use the term hispanic and latino when not discussing GZ? I would love to hear it. Perhaps GZ requested that the media call him a white hispanic and i missed the video? could you link the video if that is the case. I will happily admit I am wrong if you could link some such video.
    They use "Latino" and "Hispanic" when not talking about GZ, because they're usually talking about large groups of people. Or individuals, whose lineage is unknown to them.
    Last edited by Booshman; 2013-07-13 at 09:36 PM.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. You've been proven to be wrong. Even if you don't want to acknowledge the facts. Which isn't my problem.
    Perhaps it's more like trying to change the venue, the sport and hiding the ball.

That certainly makes it pretty hard to kick a field goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Firedexx View Post
    I work for a FD in Florida. On our EMS reports, under race, we have a choice of white hispanic and black hispanic. Don't know what prompted the change, it used to be just hispanic, but it's been like that for 10 years now.
    Oh look, more evidence! And in Florida.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps it's more like trying to change the venue, the sport and hiding the ball.

That certainly makes it pretty hard to kick a field goal.
    Less flailing and attempts at distracting, with "non-serious analogies" and empty banter; more accepting and acknowledging the fact that you were (as usual) wrong.

Less flailing and attempts at distracting, with "non-serious analogies" and empty banter; more accepting and acknowledging the fact that you were (as usual) wrong.
    Are you really Baron Davis?

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1397660

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cambria View Post
    No. Race as a term is a form of human classification. The only race is not human... latino/Hispanic or something like...Mexican, isn't a 'race' because the actual races are intertwined in it, but white, black, asian, and so on are indeed classified as 'race'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(h..._and_ethnicity
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_in_the_United_States

That wasnt the case prior to 1648. Using race to describe where someone is from is a just another modern bastardization of the word. Just like they did with organic, gay, fag, resonate, and green

I hate the Knicks and all NY Teams, so "no".

I cannot tell you the amount of fucking irony in this. Seeing, I pointed how you misquoted someone, then bashed me because YOU didn't realize I wasn't the author of what you misquoted, and tried to tell me I was wrong. And I was trying to save face, for something I never even said. Grow the fuck up already.

I hate the Knicks and all NY Teams, so "no".
    Did you read that link?

Can't check this entire thread, but a lot of the initial looting and rioting wasn't even against whites: They converged against local Korean-Americans perceived as taking over local businesses, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is just arguing in circles saying the same thing over and over, none of which is slightly on topic, and after a mod warning.

Not constructive, not on topic, closing.