Thread: bad gm attitude

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    i agree with the op. why did the gm have to kick him off? really frostitute? all the gm has to do is make a force name change on the character and whenever he tried to login on that character tthe op would have to change the name. its not like anyone would be seeing the oh god harmful name frostitute if he just did that

15+ Year Old Account
    This thread makes me sad.

The game master pulls a ticket indicating that your name has had enough flags on it to generate a ticket for investigation. They pull this ticket, and they need to close it. Not 30 minutes from now, but generally soonish. wow is a teen rated game, and characters with names like that are immediately available for young peeps to see, young peeps who have parents checking up on them occasionally. Because a char name is immediately visible to a large pool of players, there is more reason for a gm to get them out of the game quicker. No, they will not, nor should they wait for you to finish a raid, even if you were the main tank. That game masters job includes keeping up a productive schedule as a customer support rep, and trying to eliminate an ever-growing queue. Players that that choose a bad name not only violate the terms of use, but increase the queue as a result.

And after all that, you think u should be given the courtesy finish the raid before the GM closes this ticket? You didn't give the rules of the game a courtesy. What grounds do you even have to stand on for justification?

Take a moment to step away from the computer to get over yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    The punishment is only effective when its used correctly in accordance with the rules. Banning someone on the stop for requiring a name change isn't in accorance with the rules.

Since people here are comparing this to a real law, it would be like a Police Officer executing a criminal on the spot instead of arrested them for a trial. Do you like hyperbole in line with your own?

Thought not, now stop being so foolish.
    I'm not sure where I discussed that this is the correct punishment for this violation (which actually has to do with the status of your account, so it might've very well been the correct course of action!!). If the punishment is banning, it SHOULD be done on the spot and not half an hour later.

It's like saying, you've been found guilty of crime X and you've to go to prison. But no worries, you can go to prison in three weeks time and not right now as you're currently busy with organizing your wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauren View Post
    i agree with the op. why did the gm have to kick him off?
    You can't be logged in in order to change a character's name.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    There was that one quest where Garrosh calls Sylvanas a Bitch, and some guy says "thralls balls". ERMEGHERD BAN BLIZZARD!

Cant roll my eyes back further or else they might lodge in my skull.

Also theres whole instance wings dedicated to prostitutes and concubines, I mean come on. The double standards are killing me here.
    ^ this, it is a fine line though and I assume there is a difference between a character name, and dialouge
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebsmash View Post
    Implying a real world crime is in anyway related to a VIDEO GAME NAME. A subjective one at that tied to several double standards within the game itself, as noted above the NPCs "Concubines" and an entire wing dedicated to them in The Black Temple.

You need some real work on that analogy.
    Not really, because the point still stands. He paid for the game, sure, but he also agreed to certain rules, therefore he has to follow the rules. I guess a better analogy would be to buy a car, then park in a no parking zone and have your car towed so you can't use it until you get it back. You paid for the car, but then you broke the rules, so you can't use it.

Implying that you shouldn't have to follow rules you agreed to follow makes you look like an entitled twat.

He has a right to feel "Entitled", he is PAYING to PLAY the GAME. How much of an idiot do you have to be to not realize that this person is paying money to play, this isn't a F2P game where you can have your game completely disrupted whenever the makers wish because you aren't PAYING them anything.
    He's been allowed to pay because he agreed to follow the rules first.

Quote Originally Posted by Relicra View Post
    If anyone is that sensitive why are they playing an mmo where they are bound to see much worse?
    Completely irrelevant.

You break the rules, you suffer the consequences. End of story.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    ^ this, it is a fine line though and I assume there is a difference between a character name, and dialouge
    Hardly, if you take a close look at The Black Temple area by Mother, there are beds and half naked High Elves everywhere. They are labeled Concubine, and it's implied from Mothers own dialogue that she is all about Pain and Pleasure. That coupled with varying degrees of vulgar language in other quest dialogue is hilariously ridiculous. So for them to have such a staunch stance on a name like Frostitute is ridiculous, at least to the point of banning someone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    Not really, because the point still stands. He paid for the game, sure, but he also agreed to certain rules, therefore he has to follow the rules. I guess a better analogy would be to buy a car, then park in a no parking zone and have your car towed so you can't use it until you get it back. You paid for the car, but then you broke the rules, so you can't use it.

Implying that you shouldn't have to follow rules you agreed to follow makes you look like an entitled twat.
    Maybe you should follow the rules on this forum, and refrain from using obscenities. Did you not agree to those rules when signing up here?

Oh the irony...

Our GM was banned for a 3 days for having a officer guild rank named "Jew", we never found out who reported it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Which is why they weren't banned. Players get warningsor suspensions before. bans.

Furthermore, blizzard using questionable dialogue, or quest names for that matter doesn't give the community the right to break those rules. I can understand why one's logic may jump to that conclusion, but to keep things factual instead of opinion, opinion, opinion, blizzard had the right to enforce those rules as they please. This is in the games tou

Maybe you should follow the rules on this forum, and refrain from using obscenities. Did you not agree to those rules when signing up here?

Oh the irony...
    You should probably look up what irony means, on account of there being nothing ironic anywhere in my post. *shrug*

Hardly, if you take a close look at The Black Temple area by Mother, there are beds and half naked High Elves everywhere. They are labeled Concubine, and it's implied from Mothers own dialogue that she is all about Pain and Pleasure. That coupled with varying degrees of vulgar language in other quest dialogue is hilariously ridiculous. So for them to have such a staunch stance on a name like Frostitute is ridiculous, at least to the point of banning someone.
    I disagree! There is a difference in a RP dialogue, a characters job (in-game job) and the naming of your character. I remember a discussion with someone massively raging on these forums over being forced a namechange as his character was called Bloodpoop. He said that this was Blizzard are a bunch of hypocrits for adding plenty of quests to the game that include excrement.

I would argue that, neither Frostitute nor Bloodpoop is a fitting name for your character. You're perfectly fine allowed to talk about (quests that involve) excrement or about concubines. I'm pretty sure you could RP that you're character is a concubine (which isn't the same as a prostitute btw) or suffers from bloodpoop if you'd feel like that.

he followed proper procedure after someone reported you and your name broke the established rules. He's not going to wait half an hour to go through with this and its ridiculous to think otherwise, you were lucky you got ANY warning at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    There was that one quest where Garrosh calls Sylvanas a Bitch, and some guy says "thralls balls". ERMEGHERD BAN BLIZZARD!

Cant roll my eyes back further or else they might lodge in my skull.

Also theres whole instance wings dedicated to prostitutes and concubines, I mean come on. The double standards are killing me here.
    irrelevant. there are no double standards. There are rules set for PLAYERS and their interactions with each other.

Those are thematic or implied themes. Outside of the rules set on players...because these are fictional beings speaking to each other in a single scripted event. Players are real people and their use of language is often directed AT each other as a form of anger or rudeness. Those places are only encountered if you seek them out but players travel far and wide with their names and language. They do not reduce playability or severely disadvantage or handicap player enjoyment, quite the opposite.

Players being allowed to swear, scream and rage on each other will actively reduce the enjoyability of the game (few situations arise where you are reporting when you swear amongst friends or close knit guild group casually, otherwise you may want to reconsider being with them anyway). Just because there are concubines in the game doesnt mean you can go naming your chars stuff like whorc or otherwise. I dont care about the small handful of players who have names like this, but if not enforced and shown to be enforced, there are a horde of players out there who will name themselves like this enmass and it WILL reduce the games enjoyability to constantly see everyone with increasingly stupid lurid names.

The priority here is not some moral imperative. it is to maintain the playability and enjoyability of the game in concerns to use of player language, what you say and what you name your chars goes under this.

and this is solely dependant on people actively reporting it. Blizz and gm's do not actively go hunting around for such names, though they MAY set a name reset if they encounter one while doing other things (but this is very uncommon).

While it may not seem bad NOW, if they dont enforce the rules on players (to the degree that players enforce them itself since its a reporting system), things get out of hand VERY BADLY and VERY QUICKLY. It is because they enforce them that this seems such a minor issue but its just using an umbrella in the rain, you get a few drops through but just cause you're dry now doenst mean you put away the umbrella, you'll get soaked to the bone.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2013-07-12 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenethon View Post
    Although he is paying to play the game, he also accepted the terms stated in the ToS and EUA. He violated the terms and is butthurt that a GM wouldn't wait around for him to finish his raid (still laughing at this) before enforcing repercussions. Perhaps it it you who should get off your high horse and maybe take a closer look at what you agreed to before logging in.
    He never actually "Violated" any rules.

His name was Frostitute, not Prostitute. it is a play on words but does not actually use a "forbidden" word.

So yeah.. talking about high horses.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

15+ Year Old Account
    +1 internets, tenjen.

It's not attitude, or a question of moral, to not wait to remove a player from the game to enforce a name change. It's the rules of their job, and how they were trained to answer these kinds of tickets. No personal feelings should be hurt by that kind of thing with this being realized

Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post

His name was Frostitute, not Prostitute. it is a play on words but does not actually use a "forbidden" word.

So yeah.. talking about high horses.
    Pretty sure the rules blatantly say you can't reference things. Using your logic there's an endless amount of things that are insanely offensive that you could choose as a name and get away with because it's not the actual word.

I question the validity of this, i've seen many a person forced to name change and they always just flag the toon so you can't log back into it without name changing it.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Time to grow up, huh? Did you finally learn that there are consequences to stupid actions?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post

"The following rules are not meant to be exhaustive, and Blizzard reserves the right to determine which conduct it considers to be outside the spirit of the Game and to take such disciplinary measures as it sees fit up to and including termination and deletion of the Account. Blizzard reserves the right to modify this Code of Conduct at any time. "

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/wow_tou.html

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    I question the validity of this, i've seen many a person forced to name change and they always just flag the toon so you can't log back into it without name changing it.
    truth, but the flagging of the name change doesn't change the name until the player signs off. hence, removing a player from the server.