Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ACPrime View Post
    What if I told there are 18 items being sold in the cash store right now and there are 65.143 items found on Wowhead that are in-game right now. The store has been up for 2 years already. That's roughly 0.027% of all items being sold in a store for real cash over a two year period. Seriously, there is no slippery slope, there is no move towards better looking gear/mounts/pets in store. There is just a bunch of customers trying to conceal jealousy with self righteous babble about non-existing rights. "You don't have to buy it" isn't an excuse it is the truth, there is no way around that. Not owning these transmog items has ZERO impact on you and your game, just your ego.

I would love to see your face if Blizz decided to up the subscription costs (which hasn't increased in nearly 9 years. Please name another service that costs exactly the same as it did 9 years ago) instead of finding alternate ways to keep the game profitable. Imagine the rage then. Now at least people get to choose if they want to pay more or not.
    /slow clap
    Not bad for someone's second post. Enjoy your stay, I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

I dont give a shit really. Would be nice if i could get them without paying money, but if not, who cares.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    /slow clap
    Not bad for someone's second post. Enjoy your stay, I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
    *removed* else i get banned
    Last edited by wickedbastard; 2013-07-19 at 07:58 AM.

What if I told there are 18 items being sold in the cash store right now and there are 65.143 items found on Wowhead that are in-game right now. The store has been up for 2 years already. That's roughly 0.027% of all items being sold in a store for real cash over a two year period. Seriously, there is no slippery slope, there is no move towards better looking gear/mounts/pets in store. There is just a bunch of customers trying to conceal jealousy with self righteous babble about non-existing rights. "You don't have to buy it" isn't an excuse it is the truth, there is no way around that. Not owning these transmog items has ZERO impact on you and your game, just your ego.

I would love to see your face if Blizz decided to up the subscription costs (which hasn't increased in nearly 9 years. Please name another service that costs exactly the same as it did 9 years ago) instead of finding alternate ways to keep the game profitable. Imagine the rage then. Now at least people get to choose if they want to pay more or not.
    This !! on every single QQ Thread aboud "Evil Blizz seling da Helmetz" i gona link this!! I only wonder why MMOChamp is not lockin all new trollThreatz about thous Helmets ....

Not having the best stats gear has also no impact on the game, just on your ego. So blizzard can sell the best stats gear in the shop, I don't care! It does affect me in no way what the other players have.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maragia View Post
    Not having the best stats gear has also no impact on the game, just on your ego. So blizzard can sell the best stats gear in the shop, I don't care! It does affect me in no way what the other players have.
    False, the option to buy stats gear would have an impact on your game (both in PvP as in PvE) since people paying would have an advantage over you just by spending cash (opposed to playing the game). It's a non-argument though, since Blizzard isn't selling any stat-gear in shop and has not announced any plans for doing so.

False, the option to buy stats gear would have an impact on your game (both in PvP as in PvE) since people paying would have an advantage over you just by spending cash (opposed to playing the game). It's a non-argument though, since Blizzard isn't selling any stat-gear in shop and has not announced any plans for doing so.
    If others have better stats gear, that doesn't affect me either in pve. If someone buys the best gear, my game experience wont change. I can still do raids and have progression. In pvp it could matter, but who cares? Don't play pvp then...

It also could worry me, that their char looks better than mine cause they spend money...

I get pets, I get mounts. But xmog items are just step away from xmog sets and heroic thunderforged weapons sold in pet store. This has to stop before it will go to far! We pay the game to play it, we play it to achieve and earn things, when you let others go around and get awesome things with just more cash it means its all going to the wrong place. Blizz stop it!

Deleted
    You need to think outside your little mind and realize numbers aren't everything in a video-game. A large number of people play it for the visuals, sense of exploration and accomplishment, things which you can't clearly draw a line and say "no advantages in buying a good looking helm".

TBH I don't care, as the matter is today. If it should start going towards P2W or the subscription-based content be reduced as a result of this however that would be another issue entirely, that however remains to be seen.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If others have better stats gear, that doesn't affect me either in pve. If someone buys the best gear, my game experience wont change.
    False. If someone else has better gear than me, then my spot in a raid is in danger. If another guild has better gear than my guild, our chances of getting server firsts are reduced, we are at a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting etc.

If other players/guilds have better gear because they have put in more effort, play better etc than me/my guild that is fine. If they are in that position purely because they spent more money than me, that is not fair. It puts me in a position where I have to pay more money to stay on an even footing.

But like ACPrime says, it's a non-argument, because they aren't selling such items, nor have they announced any intention to do so in the immediate future, which is why I disagree with the uproar about what is being sold.

That argument is that because Blizzard might in the future decide to add items to their store which would be a problem, we need to protest against items that are benign. Which IMO is just foolish. My message for Blizzard is simple: I have no problem with some cosmetic/vanity items being sold exclusively on the store, as long as they don't start moving into the realm of items which give a competitive advantage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolkien View Post
    You need to think outside your little mind and realize numbers aren't everything in a video-game. A large number of people play it for the visuals, sense of exploration and accomplishment, things which you can't clearly draw a line and say "no advantages in buying a good looking helm".
    Please tell me the "advantage" for someone buying a transmog helm over any of these gamer-types. Since it gives no sense of exploration or accomplishment these two groups should remain unaffected (unless the accomplishment is buying the item). So it must only be an "advantage" over people playing purely on a visual level? Where can I find these people? On the side of the roads in Azeroth and beyond, staring aimlessly into the great blue/pink/purple yonder?

Seriously though, your argument is weak at best. The majority of players are playing the game for it's competitive nature and/or progression. Progression in the form of better gear, beating challenges (where often better gear is needed in order to progress) or achievements, all of which are not affected by these transmog items.

Also, numbers ARE everything in a video-game, binary code anyone? 11101000101011011100 *snigger*
    Last edited by mmoce93e50a9ea; 2013-07-19 at 10:45 AM.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    One of the requirements for a successful debate around this issue is that people need to constrain their arguments to within the bounds of reason.

Creating a hypothetical but highly unlikely scenario in order to support your argument is not a good basis upon which to set a precedent. The fact is that there are so many possible helms within the game, there is no way you can seriously argue that someone simply "has to have" this one for any reason other than pure vanity and because they can.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    the fact that Blizzard is starting to move all the nice looking items to the store instead of putting them in the game.
    1) Blizzard aren't "moving" any items. In order to move something it requires that it no longer is where it previously was. These items were never in the game before. They were simply added to the store without "moving" anything that already existed.
    2) "all the nice looking items": Like to hyperbole much? They have 3 helms in store, compared to thousands available in game. At best they are putting a small fraction of the items they design onto the store.
    3) Who is to say these items would have been available in game even without the store? It seems to me these items were probably concept items someone whipped up at some stage, and they literally didn't have an appropriate place to put them in game. So instead of discarding the items they decided why not simply sell it in the store.

Unless you can demonstrate how the regular gaming experience is being diminished by the addition of the items, your argument really seems pretty hollow. Right now all I see is an option to get even more out of the game than we were already getting. For those who elect not to buy these helms, we'll still be getting just as much for our subscription as we were before, if not more. Same as always.

Deleted
    But I can draw a line through "sense of exploration and accomplishments" being things that the helms have no impact on at all...

So you're left with "people play it for the visuals" which I'll give you, people do like to play dress up with transmogs (me included) but again just because people want something doesn't instantly give them it....

I liken this to TV subs; you pay X amount for access to some channels, on top of those channels you can get sports and/or movies, they aren't included in your sub and cost extra.

Just because I want them doesn't mean I get them because these things are "extra" it doesn't matter how much I like "movies" or "sports" they have a cost that I'm either willing to pay, or not.

Not having these channels doesn't make the quality of the ones I already have any less and I don't need these extra channels to enjoy the ones I already have, so why should I expect these things for free?

I fall into this group:
    Who cares? It is only cosmetic it's not like they are selling tier gear
    It's your choice to spend money on this and you aren't forced to

Apperently i am on the other side, that is put as rageing :P

I don't like the idea and i see it as a downhill ting, with us ending up having to pay for the nice looking gear, because it's not obtaineble in game.
    Could easely see them make full sets there. And if you happen to like that better than the raid/challenge set you have to pay, because there's no way around.

So yeah. It annoys me to pay for a game every month and not being able to get the full part of that game, while they make lfr because "everybody have to experience the game".
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

I could probably buy 3 indie games for the price of a less than average looking transmog piece. I made my choice

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    I don't care about cosmetic stuff for $ in a F2P game but why pay a sub if dev's are just gunna use those resources to make something that has another price tag on it?

Cash shops have no place in a game that already requires a sub - the only exception was when blizz had mounts/pets and portion of profits went to charity.
    Yeah pretty much this.
    I'm afraid these cosmetic helmets are only the start of a slowly incoming avalanche in the Blizzard store.
    If they start to sell item sets in tier-quality or even challenge-quality I'd be very upset.
    I'd also dislike to buy weapons for real money just for transmog, that's just the wrong concept for a game with a monthly fee.

The correct way of achieving a piece of armor should be farming/working for it - and being lucky of course.
    No matter if the piece you want is current content or solo-able older content. That's just the correct way IMO.

I do not mind the mounts or the pets, I bought a Moonkin-pet and when I was very desperate during WotLK I even bought this strange Celestial Horse :P
    However, I do not support buyable items like helmets and as I said above, Blizzard should be careful with the future assortment in their store...

It's a two-edged sword.

I understand some people who buy these helmets. Perhaps Death Knight X just can't find other players to run BWD or BOT for his heroic T11-style-helmet, week for week, then he gets this red helmet from the store.
    But I think the majority of those who got them is just lazy, sorry.

For myself I'm glad I got Challenge Mode Gold and access to heroic T15 for my warrior main, and 9/10 of my alts are female characters with their helmets hidden

So I'm a mix of the aggressive and passive side I guess.

Cheerio!
    We are as God intended. Fallible, yet capable of great things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooboy View Post
    But I can draw a line through "sense of exploration and accomplishments" being things that the helms have no impact on at all...

So you're left with "people play it for the visuals" which I'll give you, people do like to play dress up with transmogs (me included) but again just because people want something doesn't instantly give them it....

I liken this to TV subs; you pay X amount for access to some channels, on top of those channels you can get sports and/or movies, they aren't included in your sub and cost extra.

Just because I want them doesn't mean I get them because these things are "extra" it doesn't matter how much I like "movies" or "sports" they have a cost that I'm either willing to pay, or not.

Not having these channels doesn't make the quality of the ones I already have any less and I don't need these extra channels to enjoy the ones I already have, so why should I expect these things for free?
    Let's compare it to a gardener who mantains your garden on a monthly basis. Now you pay him for 5 hours a month, but he now decides to work 3h and do 2h of research on how to enhance your garden. But instead of doing that for free(because you pay him to do your garden) he starts to charge you 20 extra bucks, eventhough you paid his research time. Doesn't seem fair to me, does it?

Deleted
    Let's compare it to a gardener who mantains your garden on a monthly basis. Now you pay him for 5 hours a month, but he now decides to work 3h and do 2h of research on how to enhance your garden. But instead of doing that for free(because you pay him to do your garden) he starts to charge you 20 extra bucks, eventhough you paid his research time. Doesn't seem fair to me, does it?
    How is this a good analogy for anything? Besides the fact that the logic you used is seriously flawed it's just like saying "Look at this, this isn't fair is it?" It has zero relevance to the subject and just dilutes the entire discussion.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ViridianCC View Post
    Here's something that was posted on r/wow earlier and has (as far as I can tell?) an unprecedented high number of upvotes as far as content on r/wow.

It explains the point very well.
    WoW. Just WoW. It explains a lot and justifies 100% why it is fantastic that Blizzard have Store Mounts.

The author basically feels that these ingame items are "special" and should be kept "special" by making them rare, by linking them to hard to get achievements. You know, because there aren't already enough mounts rewarded for hard to get achievements.

What a special snowflake...

The reality is these mounts allow anyone to feel a little "special". You don't have be a great raider. You don't have be an awesome pvp'er. You don't have to spend years grinding at a raid instance every single week, devoting hours of your life to obtaining that mount. For a bit of cash, you are given an alternative.

This is not a bad thing in the slightest. Let the guy (or girl) who spent $20 on the sparkle pony enjoy it. Why be so bitter and twisted that someone else is getting joy out of something?