View Poll Results: What do you think about this incident?

Voters
570. This poll is closed
  • The Dubai governemnt did the right thing

32 5.61%
  • The woman did something wrong

18 3.16%
  • Everyone involved did something wrong

111 19.47%
  • The woman did nothing wrong, it was the Dubai government's fault

409 71.75%
Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmn View Post
    Sorry but you are either clearly trolling or have problems to analyse simple things...
    You can't compare robbing to rape.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Why are you comparing robbing to rape then?
    I'm not. If you can't tell the difference between an analogy and a comparision then that's your problem.

protip: don't go to extreme islamic countries as a single woman.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    I'm not. If you can't tell the difference between an analogy and a comparision then that's your problem.
    You're pretty much trying to compare it to robbing by using a scenario where you put yourself at a risk of being robbed. Women don't put themselves at risk in that manner unless you mean to imply being born a woman is risky behaviour.

You're pretty much trying to compare it to robbing by using a scenario where you put yourself at a risk of being robbed.
    So I take it you confirm you don't know what an analogy is?

Women don't put themselves at risk in that manner unless you mean to imply being born a woman is risky behaviour.
    Being born isn't a behavior to begin with.

Deleted
    So I take it you confirm you don't know what an analogy is?
    I know what it is but applying that analogy which you used, to women who get raped is stupid. Men generally don't rape you just because you walk somewhere.

Being born isn't a behavior to begin with.
    You're implying women put themselves at risk, 2/3 rapes or about there is done by someone the woman knows.
    Last edited by mmoc506e44f6eb; 2013-07-18 at 02:11 AM.

Comparing robbing to rape is asinine because you're saying there is risky behaviour in being a woman.
    That's not true; it's merely confirmation bias.
    'Being a woman' isn't risky behaviour. 'Going to a theocratic country' is risky behaviour.
    You're implying women put themselves at risk, 2/3 rapes or about there is done by someone the woman knows.
    But the topic isn't about rape, now is it? It's about a victim being criminalized by immoral laws.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    But the topic isn't about rape, now is it? It's about a victim being criminalized by immoral laws.
    He brought up being robbed, I was merely responding to that. Being robbed has nothing to do with what happened there, had someone been robbed and reported it, it would've no doubt not resulted in prison for the person reporting it.
    Last edited by mmoc506e44f6eb; 2013-07-18 at 02:14 AM.

This is probably one of the worst things that can happen to someone in their life. It took serious balls to even report it (most women don't) and then was punished for it? If Dubai has no concern for the women that live and visit there then that should be on their travel vouchers. It is not the womans fault in any way, shape or form, that when asked what happened, she spoke the truth. Apparently the saying "the truth hurts" is taken quite literally in the Dubai. It makes me sick to my stomach though. It also makes me think that one of the flashiest countries in the world is no more than a bunch of common thugs and are about as immature and il-informed as a bunch of cavemen. I hope that women's liberation groups read about this case and publicize it. MHO
    Last edited by TheMeat420; 2013-07-18 at 02:16 AM. Reason: spell check for the loss

Deleted
    You can't compare robbing to rape.
    What you probably mean is psychological/moral aspect, BUT we are NOT talking about it. We are talking about probability of a crime happening depending on choice of your location.
    1) Rape and robbery are both crimes.
    2) Both have increased probablity to happen if enter certain locations.
    For sure you can compare it in THIS aspects, what has been done.

He brought up being robbed, I was merely responding to that. Being robbed has nothing to do with what happened there, had someone been robbed and reported it, it would've no doubt not resulted in prison for the person reporting it.
    He never said or meant it would. Why are you bringing up and arguing about something people didn't tell, just because you didn't understand the context?
    Last edited by mmoc331d9c635d; 2013-07-18 at 02:18 AM.

Deleted
    in the end if you enter the country you abide by their laws, one of the laws in UAB is that sex outside of marriage is punishable. even though rape is horrible and the person that did it should(imo) get punished, the woman was in wrong there(according to UAB laws).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmn View Post
    What you probably mean is psychological/moral aspect, BUT we are NOT talking about it. We are talking about probability of a crime happening depending on choice of your location.
    1) Rape and robbery are both crimes.
    2) Both have increased probablity to happen if enter certain locations.
    For sure you can compare it in THIS aspects, what has been done.
    Going to Dubai, which is a prosperous city, should be equated to putting yourself at risk then? Then simply existing is putting yourself at risk. How dare you actually live?
    Last edited by mmoc506e44f6eb; 2013-07-18 at 02:18 AM.

I know what it is but applying that analogy which you used, to women who get raped is stupid.
    I haven't applied it to women getting raped. I am trying to break your emotional line of reasoning on the topic at hand and try to make you look at this from a logical pov. I am using an analogy because it's proving to be ever more more difficult to get to you when you (and some others) keep flinging these same emotionally charged ridiculous strawman over and over again and attempt to vilify the "opponent". Yes the "opponent" was in citations, because I'm on your side but you think I'm not because you turn my arguments into strawman the second you see them in your mind.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2013-07-18 at 02:21 AM.

Going to Dubai, which is a prosperous city, should be equated to putting yourself at risk then? Then simply existing is putting yourself at risk. How dare you actually live?
    YES, going to Dubai, which has backwards laws that have been well publicized to promote rape and punish those who report it, is putting yourself at risk. I think that's been said about 12 times already, which part needs to be translated?

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    YES, going to Dubai, which has backwards laws that have been well publicized to promote rape and punish those who report it, is putting yourself at risk. I think that's been said about 12 times already, which part needs to be translated?
    You need to agree to say it's wrong over and over again and apoligize you're a man.

Quote Originally Posted by koekai View Post
    Do people read up on laws when they're going to visit a country?

I don't want a trip around the world anymore.
    specially when its a country where women barely has any rights or worth pretty much nothing to the people that run the country.

Deleted
    You assume that prosperty has something to do with justice or security. Many people think so and this woman probably too. A big mistake.
    There are poor places where you are completely save and prosperous places where you can get a death sentence for one false statement.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    The part where you behave as if naivety, ignorance, and hopeful-thinking are crimes; or in a victim's control. Any number of factors can contribute to why someone feels safe, or why they can't escape an unsafe situation.

The crass analysis and subsequent victim blaming that happens because of the aforementioned principles is sickening. Get real.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would anyone question her getting sent to jail? She went to a country and broke the law, its like going it america shooting up a cinema, killing everyone and wonder why you get killed by the police or get the death penalty.

You'd be amazed...