Thread: Spammed Email

Spammed Email

So either Blizzard or Yahoo is selling email addresses. I have a yahoo mail account that I ONLY use for WoW. Somehow, a few months after starting to use it, I get about 10 emails a day from the various "enhancement" drugs to robot girls that want to get hitched.

Is there another way these spammers are getting email addresses? Or are Blizzard and/or Yahoo selling email addresses?

10+ Year Old Account
    Get AOL.

/10char

ignore the guy above get gmail

Voting Gmail here also.

lol AOL. I miss those days.

Gmail it is. I just hate having to juggle so many gmails. Not that I check my wow email often, but when I have a ticket pending I like checking it at work.

Good advice though, thanks guys.

Make a new email to be used for your battle.net account and nothing else, never give that email out to anyone or in any forms online, you`ll notice you get nothing but official blizzard emails then.

blizzard shouldve never made wow accounts switch to email addresses as their login, there were less account compromises when we used usernames

Yahoo claims they don't, but back in 2009 a 17 page report on yahoo selling addresses for $30-40 was leaked. I am sure Blizzard sells to the chinese too. Kind of a coincidence most hackings happen to unsubbed accounts.

I have been playing since vanilla. Nothing bad ever happened to my account. I stopped playing for 3 months and early this month I get a real email from blizzard saying a guy from china attempted to get on my account and my account was blocked til I changed my pw.
    Last edited by FeenixUnity; 2013-07-23 at 03:20 AM.

as far as the "robot girls that want to get hitched" that happens to everyone with a @yahoo.com email account regardless if they ever used a blizzard product with it. I made a new yahoo account for their messenger program to talk to someone who used that a couple years back, never gave it to anyone and I recieved spam messages with links to malicious websites from random bot usernames constantly. all signs point to it being yahoo itself having major security flaws
    Last edited by coldrain; 2013-07-23 at 03:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Awarewolf View Post
    lol AOL. I miss those days.

Gmail it is. I just hate having to juggle so many gmails. Not that I check my wow email often, but when I have a ticket pending I like checking it at work.

Good advice though, thanks guys.
    Make a new gmail account and set it to automatically forward everything to one you check frequently. You'll then never need to log in to your WoW gmail, which helps with security.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gmail all the way. I have a WoW only gmail address and... I only ever get WoW stuff.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neither Yahoo nor Blizzard would have anything to gain by selling email addresses. That sort of thing pays next to nothing nowadays. Bots can spider the web and get zillions for free.

It's far more likely that you either used the email somewhere you forgot, the email box was compromised, or you got picked up by a mass spam that was just pinging tons and tons of email address to find out if they were real (the latter of which is common).

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    i trust blizzard not to sell emails.
    Hi