Thread: Racial Skins?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Racial Skins?

I have a feeling this was probably asked before, but... what if WoW offered racial skins of minor races in the game? Purely cosmetic mind you, a much better alternative I think to making yet another race to level as. It could be something you could do at the barber, or maybe even character creation. Hell, some of the alternatives I'm about to offer I'd even pay real money for!

Dwarf: Dark Iron, Frost, Iron and Wildhammer (tatoo'd heavily)
    Nelf: Highborne
    Gnome: Leper Gnome, Jungle Gnome (like so many procs and items, could be a fun joke)
    Draenei: Eredar
    Human: I'd say differential on 'actual' human races but I'd fear the controversy our 'enlightened' community would pose.
    Worgen: Classic old worgen? Oh wait, better, it uses the existing worgen model: Saurok.

Pandaren: Here's where I have some fun... Furbolg!

Orc: Fel Orc (red) and Dragonmaw (greyish) and Mag'Har (brown)
    Tauren: Yaungol, Taunka, Grimtotem (black skins with white skull face paint/tatoos)
    Troll: Zandalari, Amani, Drakari
    Forsaken: hmm, not sure... wait! Skeletons!, the wretched (magic addicted belf, uses same base model)
    Belf: Highborne again, San'Layn (belf vampires from ICC. Naxxanar was merely a setback!) Demonic Belfs from Sunwell...
    Goblin: Classic pre-cata gobbys, Gilblins

Unlocking these could be a store thing, and achievement thing (like maybe obscure factions such as Hydraxian Water Lords for Dark Iron, etc) or even just plain free. Opinions, please? (double edit, I keep forgetting belfs.)
    Last edited by Teebone; 2013-07-23 at 12:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of these aren't skins, they're model changes.
    A while ago I suggested some of these as "racial glyphs". Like the class glyphs, but for changing the apearance of your race!
    Who knows, maybe someday...
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    Some of these aren't skins, they're model changes.
    A while ago I suggested some of these as "racial glyphs". Like the class glyphs, but for changing the apearance of your race!
    Who knows, maybe someday...
    I'd be down with racial glyphs, that would be cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    I have a feeling this was probably asked before, but... what if WoW offered racial skins of minor races in the game? Purely cosmetic mind you, a much better alternative I think to making yet another race to level as. It could be something you could do at the barber, or maybe even character creation. Hell, some of the alternatives I'm about to offer I'd even pay real money for!

Dwarf: Dark Iron, Frost, Iron and highlands (tatoo'd heavily)
    Gnome: Leper Gnome, Jungle Gnome (like so many procs and items, could be a fun joke)
    Human: I'd say differential on 'actual' human races but I'd fear the controversy our 'enlightened' community would pose.
    Worgen: Classic old worgen?

Orc: Fel Orc (red) and Dragonmaw (greyish)
    Tauren: Yaungol, Taunka, Grimtotem (black skins with white skull face paint/tatoos)
    Troll: Zandalari
    Forsaken: hmm, not sure... wait! Skeletons!
    Belf: Highborne again
    Goblin: Classic pre-cata gobbys!

Unlocking these could be a store thing, and achievement thing (like maybe obscure factions such as Hydraxian Water Lords for Dark Iron, etc) or even just plain free. Opinions, please?
    I've been saying this ever since I saw my first taunka. A skins pack, say for $10 by faction or $2 by race, would be exactly the kind of thing Blizz should be shilling on the online store. I'd be more than willing to throw down a few scrilla for the ability to play a completely skeletal forsaken or leper gnome, and I'm nowhere near alone. I like the idea of them being a kind of achievement too though like you mentioned.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inval1d View Post
    I'd be down with racial glyphs, that would be cool.
    Had to dig a lil', here be.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post20421518
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    I've been saying this ever since I saw my first taunka. A skins pack, say for $10 by faction or $2 by race, would be exactly the kind of thing Blizz should be shilling on the online store. I'd be more than willing to throw down a few scrilla for the ability to play a completely skeletal forsaken or leper gnome, and I'm nowhere near alone. I like the idea of them being a kind of achievement too though like you mentioned.
    Don't give them anymore ideas of premium items on a game with monthly fee!

For Draenie you could add Broken and for Orcs you could add Mahgar

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I like the idea of unlocking skins for races through achievments and challenges. However no skins that break the lore. And absolutely no cash store skins what so ever.
    Yeah... please don't... I have always love the idea of multiple skins ideas... but I HATE THE CASH STORE!

10+ Year Old Account
    There's so much potential in updated race models. One of them would be new skins. Be it by achievements or challenges. But I would love to see Blizzard do it. Not for money though.

It's Wildhammer, lass.

I've been hoping for this ever since the short time playable Dwarves could choose Wildhammer skins in WotLK alpha. My fingers are crossed that this will be available with the new character models. My Shaman demands it!

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post

I approve of a lot of these. I would love to play a Mechagnome. Sadly, not likely to happen because there is no female equivalent. This for a few other ones. Your solution, though, as glyph -- is quite sweet. It means Blizzard would not have to bother with armor as the glyph can always be removed if you get sick of not having your armor shown. The Glyph of the Cult and Glyph of Chihuahua Bane and actually a lot other glyphs are genius. Suggest these to Blizzard, please -- god please. :P

When the new models roll around, they can also allow other people to use the old model via a glyph system.

A fifteen thumbs up from me. ()

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm hoping that with the new race models we end up getting a lot more new skin options including things like this.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Racial "Glyphs" would be neat as hell.

An elvish forsaken for my warlock - Wretched details for my blood elf priest - Hiding the bones on my forsaken warrior.

So many possibilities.

It'd also be entirely possible if these did get put on the store to have massive overhauls on the store and have plenty of small altering ones in game.
    So a "model" change would in the store but if you want the Wildhammer skin you can do an epic quest chain in Twilight Highlands or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Skeleton skin for Undead I support. I'd also go for some Human changes aswell.

Highborne are the same as night elf, no different in the model.

I thought high elf as a sub-race option for Alliance to have high elves would work better than introducing them as a new race with a new starting zone, etc. since a lot had asked for HEs on Alliance.

I'm personally indifferent, but think it would be a better option.

I would like some of the others, though.

I'm sure that'll be put on the Blizzard store!!!

Deleted
    For orcs you should add Mag'har. For undead you could be undead of other races too.

Deleted
    Belf: Highborne again, San'Layn (belf vampires from ICC. Naxxanar was merely a setback!) Demonic Belfs from Sunwell...
    Your idea makes sense, but your choices are horrible.

Where is the choice for Orcs to be Mag'har?
    Why is there a choice for Zandalari, but not for Forest Troll? Forest Troll makes more sense, just look at Revantusk village, it's already on the side of the Horde.
    Forsaken skeletons? Why not undead Blood Elves that already exist and are a lot more interesting than just skeletons?

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of these would provide problems lore-wise. While I'm sure you could get away with different human "races," and you might be able to get away with the Mag'har orcs starting in durotar and maybe even wildhammer dwarves in dun morogh... Furbolgs on the wandering isle, fel orcs, demonic elves, eredar, and those ones would make absolutely no sense.

And what's more, a lot of those would be straight up model changes (like furbolgs, Broken, etc) which would require a great deal of work to "finagle" into various armor sets. Either that or, like the "different" human skins or highborne elves, they'd be pretty much exactly the same.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted

Worgen: Classic old worgen?

Unlocking these could be a store thing, and achievement thing (like maybe obscure factions such as Hydraxian Water Lords for Dark Iron, etc) or even just plain free. Opinions, please? (double edit, I keep forgetting belfs.)
    I really like all your ideas a lot except the "using old goblin model" one.