Page 1 of 49
... LastLast

Russia, Gay's and the 2014 Olympics

So what do you think is going to happen at the 2014 Olympics? A lot of people in the Olympics are out and after seeing this today:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/photo...e-needs-to-see

It gave me cold shivers. Plenty of athletes are planning to wear their pride on their shoulders but are they going to be arrested? Beaten? The assailants that attacked people in pride didn't get arrested. People got detained and arrested in a bloody state... with their teeth punched out.

I dont think the olympics is a stage to discuss this, just like with the human rights situation in china in 2008. The olympics should be about sports and not about political or lifestyle issues. And yeah in russia alot of ppl seem to be anti-gay or atleast not supportive towards them, but i dont think they will go on man hunts unless they are provocated.

I dont think it will be a real problem unless the gay community wants to go all out with rainbow flags, etravagant clothing and demonstrations and other methods to provoke the russian ppl (which is also bad, altough a little less then the ppl that react by beating them up, since atleast its non violent) but i hope they wont as the olympics is not the place for it. If all parties involved just like a normal humans i dont think anything bad on a large scale will happen, maybe some minor incidents.

Deleted
    You can't fill your child's mind with gay stuff and propaganda, big deal... this law was also passed in the uk like 30 years ago and nobody made any fuss about that.

No it's a big deal because it's russia, and that's all to it, russophobia from typical 1# murica individuals.

Russia has some good driving and dota 2 videos on youtube.

The Olympics aren't about gay pride, they're about the games. For thousands of years it's been solely about the games.
    That isn't going to change because Russians have a different way of life than us.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by waddlez View Post
    Russia has some good driving and dota 2 videos on youtube.
    By good you mean "bad" but in a hilarious way. Russians are good at driving as much as they are good at Dota 2 and being friendly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiz View Post
    You can't fill your child's mind with gay stuff and propaganda, big deal... this law was also passed in the uk like 30 years ago and nobody made any fuss about that.

No it's a big deal because it's russia, and that's all to it, russophobia from typical 1# murica individuals.
    It was repealed in 2003.

Deleted

Russophobia 1# from everyone who is sane in the head. Especially from those who had their countries fucked up by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    Especially from those who had their countries fucked up by them.
    Shhh, Poland. We didn't murder your president.

10+ Year Old Account
    With all due respect to gay people, I personally don't see the need for athletes to wear the gay pride things at the olympics, especially given they know it will be controversial to do so. While I can understand it, I don't think its necessarily going to get them a favourable reaction. If anything I think they play into a stereotype a bit if they do this, of making things all about them.

The olympics is about the games and the athletes. A lot of us don't want it turned into a gay rights battlefield and I think we have as much as a right to that as anyone else has. In my opinion the LGBT community (as opposed to individual LGBT people) need to sometimes remember that they aren't the only people with rights.

Russia in questionable moral/ethical attitude shock??

Don't think so, we all know that there are people in Russia with views which most of us find sickening - but that's the same the world over, so what you're saying is that nowhere can host major events because there are people everywhere who don't accept various characteristics.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

Gay athletes have just as much right to wear pride items as a christian or catholic athlete does to wear a necklace with a cross, there is no difference other than people's attitudes toward these items, which is those individuals problem. They aren't making the Olympics a platform, narrow-minded people against it are skewing it to seem that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    Russia in questionable moral/ethical attitude shock??

Don't think so, we all know that there are people in Russia with views which most of us find sickening - but that's the same the world over, so what you're saying is that nowhere can host major events because there are people everywhere who don't accept various characteristics.
    The problem is that athletes could be detained merely for being gay. That's going to be an issue no matter how you look at it.

What the fuck is gay propaganda? That it's not instantly evil to be gay?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    It's generally telling people that it's normal to be gay, or that it's acceptable to be gay, that falls under the banner of propaganda in these laws.

Nope, it's not. But telling kids that you are is not good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuragin View Post
    Could you explain why?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Sadly, the LGBT community needs to exhibit some tolerance for the views of others in this case. While you may not agree with the Russians on this point they're a sovereign nation of laws that should be respected if they choose to visit.
    Sure. The solution is just to completely avoid Russia. Though, I doubt that's going to be that big of a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Sadly, the LGBT community needs to exhibit some tolerance for the views of others in this case. While you may not agree with the Russians on this point they're a sovereign nation of laws that should be respected if they choose to visit.
    Dumbest shit ever.

"The gay community needs to learn to be tolerant of homophobia and intolerance."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kuragin View Post
    What happens if a kid knows I'm gay?!

The same thing that happens when a kid knows you're straight, nothing.

people today who want to protest don't get it, for there to be any change, it has to get worse before it gets better. activists should expect to die or at least get beaten and jailed for speaking their piece. that's part of the process. black people in the 60s were attacked by police dogs and shot by water hoses. you have to go through all that to fix a perceived slight. if you don't want to go through that, you aren't gonna fix anything.

you have to take your beating to make a change. if the thought that the people like you in the future will have a better life because of the pain you went through doesn't comfort you, you aren't cut out to be an activist

there is nothing you can do but take your lumps.

10+ Year Old Account
    What happens if a kid knows I'm gay?!
    Some Senator or Congressman will have sex with a dog. At least that's what I assume given how much they go on about beastiality being linked to homosexuality.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-