Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Got into a group for questing in Redridge on my first ever character. I was a rogue. I was used to playing RS, where I could switch between melee/ranged/magic at my leisure (and also used to using armor more as looks/prestige than actual usefulness).

Long story short, I thought that it would be more useful for me to chuck throwing knives at the enemy while my ally tanked all the damage. My friend, who had played longer and was watching this tragedy, quickly informed me that "that's not how groups work, idiot".

Also, playing sniper with that same rogue in Deadmines. Found a nice spot on the ship that unaccessible to NPCs where I could shoot them to my heart's content, and they couldn't do anything nor would they evade. This worked beautifully AFTER Van Cleef was already dead, but my groupmates would often (and justifiably) get mad if I started doing this during normal trash pulls. I believe this was before I figured out how to turn on battle text, so I'm sure I thought I was contributing a lot more than I actually was (cuz, cmon, I was shooting them with a gun, right?!?!)

Well, when I first joined (this was late bc), I started a female tauren shaman. Not knowing a damn thing about the game, I assumed my shaman was a druid. I proceeded to melee everything until level ten. I had no idea how to cast spells, I thought I just stood there and kept pressing 'auto attack'. I wondered why I kept dying to mobs. Anyways, I decided to go on an adventure. At level nine, I wandered outside the safety of Mulgore and ran all the way up to Felwood, cause it looked so cool. Wolves killed me on endless repeat. Finally tiring of dying, I hearthed back to mulgore and leveled to ten. I thought something seemed up when I wasn't getting my animal forms, so I asked trade when I got bear form.

Let's just say after that I never logged back on my shaman again and I never ask questions to trade. I made a hunter (whom I still have on her original server). I still dressed in white and gray items because I thought armor was the most important stat. It wasn't until level 24 or so that someone finally taught me how to gear. I leveled that hunter to about 36 and didn't bother leveling her again until cata rolled around.

I ended up leveling a druid to cap in the end, and I didn't learn how to talent until at least level 20.

I was like the ultimate noob. I had no idea how to do anything until about mid-wotlk. It took forever for me to learn and there weren't many people willing to teach me or point me in the direction of guides. (I didn't even know there were guides on classes.)

Remembering the Blacksmith quest in Goldshire that sent you to Loch Moran and it was red in my quest log thinking... whoa, no wonder its red. I gotta travel all the way through a heap of big zones, with no mount. No one wanting a 70 Arms Warrior for Karazhan even though I was attuned. It was on that impulse I knew I wanted to be a tank. Spent all my gold buying tank gear on the AH and went immediately into Heroic Arcatraz. Yup... fun times.. . Not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I remember being in dungeons after playing my Prot warrior and educating warrior tanks who couldn't hold threat on what Sunder was for. And why they should take Blood and Thunder. Ah the good ol' days.
    Lol yeah, good times. Im pretty sure I was specced into Rend too lmao!
    "If the people who are trying to destroy this world aren't taking a day off, then why should I?"

-Bob Marley

Deleted
    I remember gemming stamina on my warlock cause i kept dying to overaggro, back in early wotlk

10+ Year Old Account
    My talent point distribution was horrendous for the first ~4 months I played (about mid 2005). My first toon was a pally, a class I've stuck with, and I didn't realize that paladins were basically plate-wearing healers at that time in WoW. So I had my eclectic mix of int, spr, str, and agi and my points spread across all three specs while I played as (terrible) melee DPS. I must have been a joy in dungeons...

I tried swimming from Westfall to Teldrassil.

Deleted
    Talking in /say to the opposite faction. I still think it is pretty retarded that you can't talk to the opposite faction (at least with /say and /yell would be nice).

Deleted
    I would head to a main city after each level to buy new gear :P This was before ilvls and heirlooms, I didn't have a clue I just wanted new gear.

I remember enchanting agility on my cloak as a Warlock, and thinking tanks needed spirit due to the very low health regeneration (not sure if it still does that).

Oh, and raging at the opposite faction without knowing they couldn't understand me. Me and a friend were getting ganked and I was there yelling "UR ONLY KILLING US COS U R JEALOUS!". Lol.

my first char to 60 was a rouge ...

Deleted
    Jumping would make you crit more.

Also, when people tricked me with the age old; Look through this lava patch and you'll see Ragnaros!... Yup, I died of that.

Deleted
    I remember when I saw the first level 60 character on my old mage back in vanilla. He was standing at the zeppelintower outside Brill and I asked him if he could give me something. I got a stack of runecloth which I could sell for 80 freaking silver! I was amazed with my 1 gold that I now had so I ventured to Undercity only to go to a reagent vendor and buy myself an Infernal Stone because I thought the items worked like WC III .

Another one was my brother playing his rogue outside orgrimmar killing crocodiles in the river between durotar and barrens. In 10 minutes of farming he actually got 2, 6slot bags. I was thinking about rerolling a rogue because mobs drop bags more often if you are a rogue! haha man I was stupid

One time I went into a dungeon and I was an orc fury warrior and I queued in as tank. needless to say, my ass got kicked pretty damn quick and I learned the roles really quick lol

I grinded every level up to 42 on my very first toon (NE Warrior.) I didn't know about dungeons or anything. I got to level 45 before I discovered talent points... /facepalm lol

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I picked blacksmithing as a profession (in BC days) and levelled the crap out of it, hoping beyond hope that the next level was the one where I would get to repair my own armour. Needless to say, I was very disappointed

Rolled Mage as my first toon and gave up on tailoring after I couldn't figure out where bolts of linen cloth came from. Ended up capping skinning/leatherworking at 300 before finally deciding to reroll tailoring/enchanting. Then in BC we were half way through TK before someone pointed out our main tank was sitting at rage cap instead of hitting heroic strike, before that point I would constantly die/get yelled at for pulling threat, she wasn't even a new player.

Deleted
    My rogue was one of my first toons back in vanilla.
    I thought slice and dice was useless, because who wants to increase the attack speed, thinking it made me attack slower! ^^

Was probably a lot more stupid stuff, but thats the one i remember the most.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thought I could DPS as holy. TBH talents were pretty confusing back in vanilla. The first couple talents in the holy tree were basically "your int increases by 1/2/3/4/5%" and "your strength increases by 1/2/3/4/5%"...I mean who wouldn't want their character to be smarter and stronger? After that I saw Holy Shock and thought that was going to be my big nuke so I rushed down the tree to get it. Finally when I got HS I went on a dungeon run. I was running around judging, holy shocking, and smacking things with my 2 hander, probably doing abysmal damage, and until finally someone was like "hmmm, you should probably be healing."

I stacked strength on my warlock so that me and my pet would hit harder. In my defense though, at lower levels, those staffs hit pretty hard!

Deleted
    I was looking for pets tame on my level 50 Bloodelf Hunter, and I came across this lovely butterfly you could tame in the Draenei starting area, so I decided to take a ride to Darkshore to take the boat there and ended up getting to Darkshore to find myself getting camped by a level 80 Night elf Rogue. I thought if I hid in bushes he wouldn't be able to find me; ofc I was wrong!