Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

24 hours of Le Mans 2014 - Let's comment it here!

So the race keeps going on. The night has fallen upon the track and Toyota is still leading.

Audi has the second and third position and Porsche follows up with Mark Webber in command at the moment, doing well.

However, the number 8 Toyota is having some trouble on the box.

You can follow the race for free at:
    http://www.24h-lemans.com/live/en#

This is my "race set up", how are you following it?

Let's leave some comments here, all of you who are watching the 24 hours of Le Mans non stop !

My bet goes with Audi. With those two cars there they can play is safe and wait for Toyota to run into trouble.. but this year seems quite open, even the number 20 Porsche is on the hunt!

I have been watching this the last few years, always rooted for Corvette Racing as they always seem to bring some crazy new tech each year, like the new rear view camera car detection that alerts the driver to class and speed of car coming up. And of course the battle between Audi and Toyota is always fun to hear.

Makes me want to do the 25 Hours at Thunderhill soon in my own car just to get a feel of endurance racing although not on a professional budget level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Endurance racing is hard, but really rewarding. I'd say go for it Stockishgsr!

I agree, Corvette is also one of my favs, they are an amazing team and keep working hard to improve every year.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post

This is my "race set up", how are you following it?
    I'm following it on Eurosport. The dailymotion stream on LeMans live seems to be having major audio/video sync problems atm

As for the race, I'd like to see both Porsche 919's finish (and if they win even better).
    Other than that it would be nice to see someone other than Audi win, so currently hoping the Lead No 7 Toyota can keep going without too many problems.
    Also nice to see the new Corvette C-7's going so well, but a bit dissapointed the Zeod Nissan failed so early, it deserved so much more.

Endurance racing is hard, but really rewarding. I'd say go for it Stockishgsr!
    I plan on it, but logistics are a pain!

Maybe I should just do the Nissan GT Academy instead and save some money lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stockishgsr View Post
    I plan on it, but logistics are a pain!

Maybe I should just do the Nissan GT Academy instead and save some money lol
    I fear it might work by contacts already, the Academy I mean. You know, when this kind of things work out nice (as it did), some people start using their influence to "corrupt" it a bit.. in this case getting certain people in because of the money instead of the skill. So just like certain drivers in F1

But yeah, I can see what you mean hehe. It is always expensive indeed. I'd love to participate in the Rally Dakar one day in the future as well, just for the sake of being part of it, but yeah, get ready to spend a few K's here and there for it, and then get your brain ready because you might not even last 1 hour before you have to leave! :S

- - - Updated - - -

Kristensen's Audi to the box! :O

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    People actually watch this 24 hours straight? Just clicked the link and saw a car driving around in the dark with a few lights on the side, yeah. I'd get bored very quick.

I dont watch it for 24 hours straight, I do watch the start and finish, and have in the back ground in between so I can pop in and out. Im rooting for the Corvette team and in LMP2 Porsche, love that they are back and with Mark Webber as a driver.

I've watched almost the whole race, but it's not like you sit there and just watch it. I've had it on in the background while doing other things, left it on while I'm away from the computer, played some games with it on. I've been watching the Porsche LMP1 car no 20, that Mark Webber is driving.

As for the GT Academy, the competition is incredibly tough and generally it isn't the best gamers that win, the guys running the fastest laps in the simulators/games continue to run the fastest laps in the simulators long after they fail to win GT Academy. I think there is a lot more to driving the actual cars due to physical fitness and the mental strain that comes with it. A lot of guys are like your typical pro gamers, they aren't athletes and to be a racing driver you need to be an athlete. I've raced against a lot of the guys who got to the finals, never really tried it myself but pretty sure I'd not make it.

I've also raced against Allan Mcnish, albiet on a simulator.. I came in ahead of him for what it's worth...
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2014-06-15 at 02:12 AM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually sit and watch it x)

It's true Bigbazz, you can be quick in the simulator but the physics going really make a difference, it makes it feel completely different to the simulator at least.

Shame for the Toyota number7.. now I just hope Marc Gene wins (so Kristensen)!

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, Are you in rFactor 2 by any chance Bigbazz? or anyone else for that matter

- - - Updated - - -

woha, number 2 stuck on the box! Marc Gené getting there!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I've watched almost the whole race, but it's not like you sit there and just watch it. I've had it on in the background while doing other things, left it on while I'm away from the computer, played some games with it on. I've been watching the Porsche LMP1 car no 20, that Mark Webber is driving.

As for the GT Academy, the competition is incredibly tough and generally it isn't the best gamers that win, the guys running the fastest laps in the simulators/games continue to run the fastest laps in the simulators long after they fail to win GT Academy. I think there is a lot more to driving the actual cars due to physical fitness and the mental strain that comes with it. A lot of guys are like your typical pro gamers, they aren't athletes and to be a racing driver you need to be an athlete. I've raced against a lot of the guys who got to the finals, never really tried it myself but pretty sure I'd not make it.

I've also raced against Allan Mcnish, albiet on a simulator.. I came in ahead of him for what it's worth...
    I've done a simulator before and it was cool to do, but not as good as real driving, and I don't really play much GT6 to be that good. But doing a 2 hour stint in real life on an open test and tune day was the most fun I had and it was basically a mix of everything from my Civic and a few Miatas to a Radical SR8 and Corvettes all on track at once. Really had to be on your toes to make sure you didn't turn into one of them coming up fast through some corners or block one and have them run into the rear of the car.

I will say that wheel to wheel is very different than endurance as everyone spaces out after a few laps and strategy comes into play.

As for watching this 24 hours straight? Hell no, I took breaks and did real life stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

It's true Bigbazz, you can be quick in the simulator but the physics going really make a difference, it makes it feel completely different to the simulator at least.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, came back and saw some cars were done for the race, which sucks as Audi claims another win it seems, but Porsche is getting close.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been watching it all straight so far, just stopped yesterday at 16:00 to make some food.

Indeed simulators are fun, but of course the real driving can't be matched.

So, Tom Kristensen just toke over the wheel for Marc Gené. Do you think this is it?

- - - Updated - - -

5 hours to go, is almost a regular endurance race so I don't think so. Not till the end.

It is pretty awsome that 1-2-3 in the race is so close after 18 hours, just 2 laps between them and a pitstop can change everything, yep im watching this nonestop till it ends.

Goooooooooooooooooooooooo Audi ( Tom K. )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drungan View Post
    It is pretty awsome that 1-2-3 in the race is so close after 18 hours, just 2 laps between them and a pitstop can change everything, yep im watching this nonestop till it ends.

Goooooooooooooooooooooooo Audi ( Tom K. )
    Yeah it is good to have them so close, let's the race open till the very end! I wish they'd recover the laps and then there is a SC so they actually have to race for the win

- - - Updated - - -

Damn I almost had a heart attack

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Yep I play Rfactor 2 but Assetto Corsa is my favourite now. I have spent a lot of time with iRacing too and of course Simraceway. Simraceway is the sim that I got to race against Allan Mcnish, he does some work for them and occasionally they have pro drivers show up there and run races with some of the members.

As for GT6, it's not really a very good simulator, not in the same league as the PC sims but I guess it serves its purpose as an entry point into the genre that appeals to the masses, and of course the GT Academy has done a lot of good with the talent it has brought into the real world of racing. The guys that win are really good, Jann (2012 winner I think) especially so, he probably could have been an F1 driver in another life... he still yet may be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I read this morning that Fabien Bartez drives too, nice ;-)
    Always cool to see athletes trying out other sports and competing on such a high level.

The car with Fabien Barthez is out as a teammate of his drove it in to a sandpit :-|

Also, must be pretty annoying for the Audi #1 team to get a turbomalfunction so late in the race
    HolgerDK Stærkodder Shocknorrís
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HolgerDK View Post
    The car with Fabien Barthez is out as a teammate of his drove it in to a sandpit :-|

Also, must be pretty annoying for the Audi #1 team to get a turbomalfunction so late in the race
    Yeah he is out and indeed, but that is racing :/

At least now the victory fight looks like a proper race, reminds me of certain F1 races. I s going to be quite interesting, nothing is sold yet, not even for the number 1 in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Yep I play Rfactor 2 but Assetto Corsa is my favourite now. I have spent a lot of time with iRacing too and of course Simraceway. Simraceway is the sim that I got to race against Allan Mcnish, he does some work for them and occasionally they have pro drivers show up there and run races with some of the members.

As for GT6, it's not really a very good simulator, not in the same league as the PC sims but I guess it serves its purpose as an entry point into the genre that appeals to the masses, and of course the GT Academy has done a lot of good with the talent it has brought into the real world of racing. The guys that win are really good, Jann (2012 winner I think) especially so, he probably could have been an F1 driver in another life... he still yet may be.
    That is interesting and I agree, GT games are that, games, not simulators imo.

- - - Updated - - -

And that's what I mean as "nothing is sold yet". Problems for Webber now... let's see. It would be a shame... C'mon give us a race!

- - - Updated - - -

Overheat problem, should be possible to solve it.

- - - Updated - - -

Such dramatic final hours!!!

Another win for Audi, I was a bit gutted for Webber so soon after he started his last stint. I'd been following the No.20 Porsche for the whole race. It was a good one, but shame we had so many retirements at the top.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well deserved victory