Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Blizzard, a "seller", puts various items on it's "selling stand".

You, a "buyer", decide do you want to buy that (or any) item or not.

Do you want access to blizzard servers?
    If so, you pay the montly sub fee.

Do you want special transmog stuff, pets, mounts or other stuff?
    If so, you buy those that you want to have/use.

Do you not like what the Seller is offering on their stand?
    Go to a different stand that has the merchandize you are looking for.

Or in other words, if you dislike the business plan that Blizzard is going to be doing for the next few expansions, find a game/activity that has suitable conditions.
    Personally i will not be buying anything that blizzard offers aside from the monthly sub (if i want to play current WoW content) - and i do not care if other people buy the "fancy" stuff, or if blizz adds more fancy stuff.

Content that was made for the Blizz Store would have never been made if there was no Blizz store, and perhaps even the staff hired to make Blizz Store items would have never been hired at all (or would be fired).
    Blizzard Store items can either exist in the Blizzard Store, or they can be not made at all - but thinking that Blizz Store items would have gone to regular WoW if there was no Blizz Store is a very naive way of thinking.
    Last edited by Aleksej89; 2013-07-29 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killadrix View Post
    "Best looking" is very subjective.

I have the means to buy them, and no ethical qualms about doing so, but I won't because I think they all look terrible.
    You won't hear me say this often but I agree with Killadrix. Most items on the Blizz store in my opinion look like shit. Granted I do have the gryphon and windrider cubs but that is only because I bought the plushies for my kids that wanted them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    Gasp! How dare a company try to make money.
    Gasp Business ethics

- - - Updated - - -

"Best looking" is very subjective.

I have the means to buy them, and no ethical qualms about doing so, but I won't because I think they all look terrible.

Okay some of the best detail we have seen.

They've been selling mounts and pets and char transfers and race changes and other stuff for how long now? Oh and how about a free level 80 to resurrected accounts?

'Cash shop' isn't new to wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Asag View Post
    Gasp Business ethics
    Care to explain why this is morally wrong or do you believe someone who is able to buy a Ferrari should be punished because all you can afford is a Kia?

10+ Year Old Account
    Care to explain why this is morally wrong or do you believe someone who is able to buy a Ferrari should be punished because all you can afford is a Kia?
    Microtransactions in a Sub based game is kinda morally wrong and a way to milk the players. Nice analogy here is one for you, http://joyreactor.com/post/540249

Microtransactions in a Sub based game is kinda morally wrong and a way to milk the players. Nice analogy here is one for you, http://joyreactor.com/post/540249
    How is it morally wrong?

They offer products and people either choose or not choose to purchase it.

10+ Year Old Account
    So are they the best and most detailed or are they shit? They can't be both.... Or did I just witness the fastest change of opinion in history?
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

I am already at max level and don't care if someone else feels the need to buy it. Seriously, not a big deal.

Can't milk players when you don't have to buy anything that they put into the store.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    So are they the best and most detailed or are they shit? They can't be both.... Or did I just witness the fastest change of opinion in history?
    They are some of the most detailed things we have seen. The analogy was aimed at "do you believe someone who is able to buy a Ferrari should be punished because all you can afford is a Kia?"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    I am already at max level and don't care if someone else feels the need to buy it. Seriously, not a big deal.

Can't milk players when you don't have to buy anything that they put into the store.
    As said before Instead of fixing the leveling from 85-90 or adding the buff in game via in game means they choose the cash shop.

Why do you care?

1. Blizzard doesn't owe you shit. If their game isn't worth your subscription then unsubscribe. Quit trying to turn this into a moral argument.

2. You didn't have the experience potion for free before, why are you bitching about not having it after they implement it?

3. Stop worrying about what strangers do with their money and game time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    Blizzard, a "seller", puts various items on it's "selling stand".

You, a "buyer", decide do you want to buy that (or any) item or not.

Do you want access to blizzard servers?
    If so, you pay the montly sub fee.

Do you want special transmog stuff, pets, mounts or other stuff?
    If so, you buy those that you want to have/use.

Do you not like what the Seller is offering on their stand?
    Go to a different stand that has the merchandize you are looking for.

Or in other words, if you dislike the business plan that Blizzard is going to be doing for the next few expansions, find a game/activity that has suitable conditions.
    Personally i will not be buying anything that blizzard offers aside from the monthly sub (if i want to play current WoW content) - and i do not care if other people buy the "fancy" stuff, or if blizz adds more fancy stuff.

Content that was made for the Blizz Store would have never been made if there was no Blizz store, and perhaps even the staff hired to make Blizz Store items would have never been hired at all (or would be fired).
    Blizzard Store items can either exist in the Blizzard Store, or they can be not made at all - but thinking that Blizz Store items would have gone to regular WoW if there was no Blizz Store is a very naive way of thinking.
    Thank you for having one of the only sane opinions on the subject.

- - - Updated - - -

Gasp Business ethics
    Offering OPTIONAL features for extra money is not in violation of any business ethics set by reasonable standards, i.e. NOT those that involve "I want this for free therefore it's my right to have it." If this is your idea of a business ethics violation then it's people like you who dilute the concept and let people get away with real douchebaggery because geniuses like you equate every time you don't get your way to a human rights violation.

10+ Year Old Account
    How is it morally wrong?

They offer products and people either choose or not choose to purchase it.
    You know morally means "The quality of being in accord with standards of right or good conduct."

A successful company generally increases profits by offering additional services, new products or expanding the market for existing products. In my experience, simply charging their current clients more money for the same level of service without any sort of added incentive tends not to be a winning strategy.

When they released sparkle ponies, I simply laughed at the idiots that paid $25 for pixel mount in an online game. They released some pets for charity and I actually bought one when the proceeds were going to charity. That was a cool idea in my opinion. However, it is quite obvious that Blizzard intends to continue to expand the cash shop and even integrate it within the game client.

As you are entirely correct that companies want more profit to keep shareholders happy, it is VERY likely that far more effort will go into cash shop items that provide a direct cash gain (and a HUGE one -- how much do you think it costs to crank out a sparkle pony and make infinite copies of it?) than added features that have been asked for but provide no direct cash gain. This latest round of cash shop items is highlighting a fundamental shift in the method of profit generation for WoW, at least from what I'm seeing. I completely expect the cash shop to grow exponentially faster going forward than it has in the past, particularly once the development time has been spent to integrate it into the game client.

You are certainly welcome to continue to apologize for capitalistic greed all you want. I can't (and wouldn't try to) stop you. However, I believe there is a point where the pursuit of profit shifts from providing a quality product that benefits consumers, which is why they purchase it, to trying to separate consumers from as much of their money as possible, regardless of the benefit to them. To those that still believe people are responsible for their actions, even the ones that run corporations, there is a difference between morally sound pursuit of profit and flat out greed.

They are some of the most detailed things we have seen. The analogy was aimed at "do you believe someone who is able to buy a Ferrari should be punished because all you can afford is a Kia?"
    Yes but what you fail to see is that they both do the same thing. The only difference is the price. So once again do you feel that those people who pay for what they believe is nicer should be punished because you choose not to?

As said before Instead of fixing the leveling from 85-90 or adding the buff in game via in game means they choose the cash shop.
    What's "broke" about 85-90 ? The already nerfed the XP required by 33%. Do you know I leveled 2 alts from 85-90 by just riding them around killing rares ? Sure that was a bit slow versus questing and dungeon running, but there's nothing broke about leveling 85-90, especially if I can do it by killing rares.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2013-07-29 at 12:55 AM.

You know morally means "The quality of being in accord with standards of right or good conduct."

A successful company generally increases profits by offering additional services, new products or expanding the market for existing products. In my experience, simply charging their current clients more money for the same level of service without any sort of added incentive tends not to be a winning strategy.
    You are aware that's what the cash shop is, right? Do you see now why you're little tirade is unjustified and makes you look petty?

Microtransactions in a Sub based game is kinda morally wrong and a way to milk the players.
    If you don't understand the concept of a "voluntary transaction", your opinion is useless and irrelevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    Why do you care?
    Because I pay to play this game

1. Blizzard doesn't owe you shit. If their game isn't worth your subscription then unsubscribe. Quit trying to turn this into a moral argument.
    Well Considering 36% of the player base has already. I am sure more will

2. You didn't have the experience potion for free before, why are you bitching about not having it after they implement it?
    Criticism is not bitching, Right before we had heirlooms and exp nerfs

3. Stop worrying about what strangers do with their money and game time.
    When it affects my game play I will worry

Thank you for having one of the only sane opinions on the subject.
    So people that disagree are insane? got it.

Offering OPTIONAL features for extra money is not in violation of any business ethics set by reasonable standards, i.e. NOT those that involve "I want this for free therefore it's my right to have it." If this is your idea of a business ethics violation then it's people like you who dilute the concept and let people get away with real douchebaggery because geniuses like you equate every time you don't get your way to a human rights violation.
    Everything is OPTIONAL.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes but what you fail to see is that they both do the same thing. The only difference is the price. So once again do you feel that those people who pay for what they believe is nicer should be punished because you choose not to?
    how are they being punished?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    What's "broke" about 85-90 ? The already nerfed the XP required by 33%. Do you know I leveled 2 alts from 85-90 by just riding them around killing rares ? Sure that was a but slow versus questing and dungeon running, but there's nothing broke about leveling 85-90, especially if I can do it by killing rares.
    They want people to catch up. Why not add heirlooms? why does it have to be with the cash shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Hurwyn View Post
    Anybody else tired of Blizzard trying to sell us every crumb they can scrape up while pretending they're doing us favors by doing it? Gets pretty old after a while, and I'm almost 100 percent sure the new Stormcrow mount will be a store mount as well.
    Not nearly as tired as I am of hearing players bitch and moan over every tiny little insignificant thing Blizzard does as if it's the end of the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't understand the concept of a "voluntary transaction", your opinion is useless and irrelevant.
    I know what a voluntary transaction is. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    What's "broke" about 85-90 ? The already nerfed the XP required by 33%. Do you know I leveled 2 alts from 85-90 by just riding them around killing rares ? Sure that was a but slow versus questing and dungeon running, but there's nothing broke about leveling 85-90, especially if I can do it by killing rares.
    I was wondering this exact thing. You literally do not even have to do more than two zones and you're 90! You're not even forced to do Jade Forest, just walk right into Valley, which after ~5 quests you can choose to go into Krasarang!