Page 91 of 97 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by anjan011 View Post
    Yep, there is. which is update the code so we wont hear more about "the code can't compile the numbers". If the code can't compile the number that's not even millions in max, its probably high time thinking about to upgrade it. Current hardware system is cool enough, that allows giants like google or facebook handle millions of queries in every second. Surly through an upgrade the combat system should be up and running to go for another 10 years, at least.
    Rebuilding that basic code is a major undertaking in any software that has been growing for 10 years. So while its easy to say that they should just sit down and do that, it would probably be a big and long process for the company.

I saw this coming and glad they decided to hit all of the old raids/dungeons as well. This doesn't bother me in the least.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by melak View Post
    Rebuilding that basic code is a major undertaking in any software that has been growing for 10 years. So while its easy to say that they should just sit down and do that, it would probably be a big and long process for the company.
    Pretty pathetic system really, definitely needs an overhaul. I play gemcraft labyrinth a browser game for crying out loud that handles computations beyond sextillion.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The Item Squish does the following:

(1) Enables them to not invest the resources in upgrading the server, clients, databases, network data formats, and auxiliary programs to handle > 32 bit combat values. This effort can be invested elsewhere on something of higher value.

(2) By not expanding the values in network data structures to eight bytes, bandwidth is not wasted.

(3) The bizarre jump in the ilvl of greens at the boundaries of old expansions will be removed. This will:

(a) Make heirlooms work better at levels 60, 70, 80, and (soon) 85. Right now, heirloom stats at those levels are grossly low.

(b) Make the terminal instances of previous expansions less useless. As it stands right now, any gear you get in lvl 77-80 instances in Wrath, for example, is horrible compared to greens from Cataclysm.

(c) Reduces the disparity in power between players of different levels. This will make world PvP slightly less ganky.

(d) Makes greens from the next expansion have less of an impact on twink PvP in the previous expansion.

(e) Makes top level crafted gear from previous expansions less useless.

(4) By compressing the raids of previous expansions into a single difficulty level, it will be possible and practical to run them during leveling. Right now, doing anything beyond Naxx at level 80 makes little sense.
    (1) This is one most pathetic excuse i have ever seen. Its like "Hey it costs a lot to do research, fire those scientist and stop trying to invent new things". How the fuck u can even point it as an improvement? Where reset of the world is moving to 64bit, u want to limit the game to 32bit still? We r not playing free, we r paying and we demand a system upgraded that can *really* improve it rather that patchwork like squish.

(2) For ur information, network doesn't care about datatypes. it only sees it as stream of bits. It doesn't care about data types defined by every programing language existing in the world. If it did, then we would need different network protocol for different language. go learn about TCP before trying to make some half assed statement as improvement.

(3a) Heirloom stats r quite fine, they serve their purpose pretty well, that is providing u with % exp boost. the stats on them r better then gears available in that specific lvl.

(3b) " Make the terminal instances of previous expansions less useless." this supposed to be useless, u get on better lvl, u get better gear. u progress. just because u r lazy, u can't keep lvl 80 gears and do well at lvl 85.

(3c) Ganking means overpowering one or more ppl, so that they don't have a chance in fighting back. even after squish there will be ganking. As squish supporters kept saying, "relative power will be same", so that means ganking will be same as well.

(3d) Get those greens urself and get equal? its not like those greens u have to buy using millions of gold anyway. U want to do twink pvp, why the hell u wont want it decked in best gear possible?

(3e) If they r not useless, that will make the new crafted gears useless. think about 376 and 496 chest pieces. if they were pretty much same, what's the point having 496 versions?

(4) Surprise for u, if u can find a group u can still do the raids at appropriate lvl ^-^ Some ppl in my guild, stopping lvling past 60 and they have having good times doing lvl 60 raids.

Frankly ppl, be sensible and think before spewing out things u don't have idea about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by melak View Post
    Yes it is, overhauling anything takes long time. but end result is many times better as well. But overhauling a product only makes sense if the said product isn't near its lifespan. Then in terms of cost and time its not feasible anyway. If bliz doesn't want to overhaul the system, that means WoW may not have much time remaining to it's end. its about 10 years old already.

(3c) snip... even after squish there will be ganking. As squish supporters kept saying, "relative power will be same", so that means ganking will be same as well.

That's what proponents of the squish keep saying, but I'm just not buying it. I really don't think that Blizzard is capable/willing of reducing the relative power of everything in such a way that everything will be the same as it is now. I'll believe it when I see it, unfortunately by then it will be too late.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jd812 View Post
    take away our ability to solo wow WILL lose a shit ton more subs.
    The fact that you have THAT many 90's but are clueless makes me sad.

Nobody is going to lose the ability to solo old content.

Everything will be the exact same, apart from the numbers will be smaller...

Why not have an item lvl squish button to enable and disable? People who want it enable it while people who don want to be squished, ignore it. They will just be seeing different numbers that are actually the same.

I personally like seeing my character pulling larger numbers,

Quote Originally Posted by jd812 View Post
    take away our ability to solo wow WILL lose a shit ton more subs.
    Yea plz dont make it where I cant just bang my head on they keyboard and the boss dies instantly away.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boogaloo95 View Post
    Why not have an item lvl squish button to enable and disable? People who want it enable it while people who don want to be squished, ignore it. They will just be seeing different numbers that are actually the same.

I personally like seeing my character pulling larger numbers,
    Its because the numbers are getting too high for programming or something like that.

(1) This is one most pathetic excuse i have ever seen. Its like "Hey it costs a lot to do research, fire those scientist and stop trying to invent new things".
    It is incomprehensible how you came up with such an asinine interpretation of that point.

Resources in business and engineering are ALWAYS finite. Tradeoffs are the rule, and actions are governed by cost/benefit assessments. This is utterly obvious to anyone with a view of business beyond kindergarten level.

(2) For ur information, network doesn't care about datatypes. it only sees it as stream of bits. It doesn't care about data types defined by every programing language existing in the world. If it did, then we would need different network protocol for different language. go learn about TCP before trying to make some half assed statement as improvement.
    Dude, I have a PhD in CS. Don't feed me garbled nonsense like that.

The point I was makng was that if the numbers get big enough, the old encodings of those numbers into a stream of bits no longer work. Previous there would have been 32 bits representing the number; now, more would have to be allocated (likely, 64 bits). The bit stream would have to change and more bandwidth would be required.

(3a) Heirloom stats r quite fine, they serve their purpose pretty well, that is providing u with % exp boost. the stats on them r better then gears available in that specific lvl.
    Utterly nonresponsive to the point I made.

(3b) " Make the terminal instances of previous expansions less useless." this supposed to be useless, u get on better lvl, u get better gear. u progress. just because u r lazy, u can't keep lvl 80 gears and do well at lvl 85.
    Yes, Blizzard really wants game content they invested time in to be useless instead of continuing to provide some entertainment value. (rolls eyes)

(3c) Ganking means overpowering one or more ppl, so that they don't have a chance in fighting back. even after squish there will be ganking. As squish supporters kept saying, "relative power will be same", so that means ganking will be same as well.
    It will not be quite as bad. So this is a minor improvement, but it is an improvement.

(3d) Get those greens urself and get equal? its not like those greens u have to buy using millions of gold anyway. U want to do twink pvp, why the hell u wont want it decked in best gear possible?
    Yes, one could do that. It's bad game design, though.

Frankly ppl, be sensible and think before spewing out things u don't have idea about.
    Your points are either quibbles or abject idiocy. I suggest you take your own advice.
    Last edited by Osmeric; 2013-08-28 at 10:47 AM.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zepyjoe View Post
    let recap.. leave stats alone and do some reprograming and hardware updates = keep most of the player base
    squish stats and lets say 5% quit playing because they go from 200k dps to 20k.
    5% of 8 mil= 400000 less players paying $15 a month....
    i dont think they take a chance on losing the cash.

why not just drop the 000 at the end and put a k so 300000 becomes 300k ? that a squish that dont really nerf everyone.
    Recapping with completely random statistics, nice.

We don't know how many people would leave if the squish happened, just like we don't know if people would resub BECAUSE of the squish. People who quit in MoP or previous expansions may look at the item squish as the game 'feeling fresh' again, and we may get a lot more people resubbing because of it than quitting because of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TAxbo View Post
    Recapping with completely random statistics, nice.

We don't know how many people would leave if the squish happened, just like we don't know if people would resub BECAUSE of the squish. People who quit in MoP or previous expansions may look at the item squish as the game 'feeling fresh' again, and we may get a lot more people resubbing because of it than quitting because of it.
    Well we can guess.

I don't see why anyone would resub ONLY because of a squish "Oh, numbers are reasonable, but I still think the game sucks, definitely resubbing!!!"

However I do think some people would QUIT only because of a squish "I was critting for a million and now I'm critting for 10k? No thanks."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zurtle View Post
    Pretty pathetic system really, definitely needs an overhaul. I play gemcraft labyrinth a browser game for crying out loud that handles computations beyond sextillion.
    Sounds like you should tell blizzard to hire you then :P But in all seriousness, WoW is way more complex (code and structure wise) than gemcraft... its a 2d browser game for crying out loud... Rebuilding small projects = fast, while larger more complex ones require way more resources... i wonder how many classes the wow client alone have.... O.o

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    However I do think some people would QUIT only because of a squish "I was critting for a million and now I'm critting for 10k? No thanks."
    It's called natural selection... People who'd quit for that reason alone won't be missed.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    No it's not. 32 bit variable is always faster than 64. That's why we have different type of variables (that also use less memory).

You also have to cast from 64 to 32 which costs processor cycles.
    WAT?

32 bit variables run as fast as, not faster, in 64 bit architecture.
    64 bit variables run slower in 32 bit architecture.

There is an exception I guess on 32 bit integer being faster on 64 bit architecture. Not sure.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2013-08-28 at 04:02 PM.

Deleted
    Yes it is, overhauling anything takes long time. but end result is many times better as well. But overhauling a product only makes sense if the said product isn't near its lifespan. Then in terms of cost and time its not feasible anyway. If blizz doesn't want to overhaul the system, that means WoW may not have much time remaining to it's end. its about 10 years old already.
    Ask Blizzard how many classes and lines of code the client alone has, then ask how many programmers they have, that also have nothing to do in terms of new development.... i think you will get the answer that the game itself is HUGE, and that Blizzard don't have as of this moment people that just sit around and don't do anything. Im pretty sure most efforts are towards new development, and also a small part in maintenance of current solutions. In the end, they would have to either A) drop all new development and rebuild wow (bye bye wow) no new content = no players) or they could go with B) hire a shit loads of new developers that will firstly have to sit down and learn about the games structure, old and new solutions and codes before they could even begin working on a new version. What it all boils down to is that they would have to spend a LOT of money to do that and time also. The second way and the way they will do instead of re-inventing the wheel will be to scale things down to more sensible values, which makes sense from both a financial standpoint and from the players (well most of them anyways).

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    It's called natural selection... People who'd quit for that reason alone won't be missed.
    It's sad that there are actually posts about this being the last straw. "I spent all that time powering up my character and you make it impossible for me to do anything." Mostly these posts are out of ignorance and are kind of funny.

Also, there is a script to change your copper:silver:gold ratio to make it look like you have tons or very little gold (good to play pranks on people) just like there are addons to change your damage.

However, the itemsquish is more about fixing the huge jumps in gear between tiers and make 1% difference not equate to 2000 dps. People ignore the 1% and go "omg theres a measurable difference with 4 digits in it QQ"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Well we can guess.

I don't see why anyone would resub ONLY because of a squish "Oh, numbers are reasonable, but I still think the game sucks, definitely resubbing!!!"

I'm not purely saying it would be because of the squish alone, there's other factors to consider. For some they may have been considering coming back after a break and this decision helps them, or people who may like the look of the next expansion and it's this feature that gets them to buy it, or people may think that the lower numbers will help the game feel more like TBC/Wrath again so they give it another try, or there's people like me who think MoP's scaling is absolutely ridiculous and can't wait for the numbers to be more closer together through an expansion.

I'm just saying that there could be many reasons to cause people to return to the game as opposed to the one argument of 'MA NUMBERZ!!' that causes people to quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    people may think that the lower numbers will help the game feel more like TBC/Wrath again so they give it another try.
    is this really something people consider when coming back? the numbers??
    Hi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    is this really something people consider when coming back? the numbers??
    There could be any number of reasons to what people consider when coming back, but the item squish could definitely influence their decision.
    Last edited by mmocab26240da3; 2013-08-28 at 04:30 PM.

Deleted
    There could be any number of reasons to what people consider when coming back, but the item squish could definitely influence their decision.
    Yes, not being able to solo all the content I can solo now is not going to bring me back, it's going to make quitting even easier.