Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is it still worth buying?

Holla, I'm looking at picking up the guild wars as i'm running out of games to screw around with when i'm not raiding on WoW.

Would you guys recommend picking this game up, or is it dead / dying? What is group content like without the trinity?

Also, is there an "Elitist Jerks" style website, but for GW2?

If anyone could tell me what the unoffical oceanic server is that'd be sweet too.

Thanks Guys!

It's still the second busiest MMO after WoW according to a few tracking sites. It's pretty busy but mostly in the low level and high level areas depending on the server. The population is mature. Leveling zones can be fairly quiet but still as busy as WoW (from when I played).

Try GW2Guru forums for lots of theorycrafting talk. For myself it was easily worth the $60 bucks. You may be able to find it on sale at Greenman Gaming once in a while.

If you don't want to raid and just want to explore and have action combat, this is the game for you. As for having to play at Oceanic times, I've heard that is hit and miss for a lot of servers. Try checking the official GW2 forums for that info.
    Last edited by carnifex2005; 2013-07-31 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blindsides View Post
    Would you guys recommend picking this game up, or is it dead / dying? What is group content like without the trinity?
    Very few MMOs "die" or are "dying". It's an ignorant myth.

The game is stable and seems to have a healthy population and development cycle.

No. Because that would be antithetical to the very premise of the game/series. There are numerous class guides spread across hundreds of websites, however.

Guild Wars 2 is a one time fee MMO. If one has an interest in the genre, then it is worth at least investigating GW2 for the flat one time fee. It's kind of an important game in the market atm.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-07-31 at 03:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blindsides View Post
    If you're thinking of theorycrafting, you're in the wrong game. Mobs don't even have numerical values for health. It looks like the developers are trying very hard to keep the "hardcore raiders" away from the game. It's an entirely different audience and game from WoW - you cannot really compare them side-by-side beyond general video game traits.

As for whether it's worth buying, I feel that if you leveled to 80 and never speak to a soul, it's still worth the $50. I've put in almost 200 hours, and haven't gotten to 80, but that's because I like messing around. Of course, if you completely hate the combat style, the no-trinity model, the freeform roaming, then you may find it hard to get past 20.

pretty much what Fhi said. There are activities to do with guilds and such but nothing as concrete as instanced raiding that you find in a typical mmo.

As far as an Elitist Jerks website, not really. As the others have said, its not that type of game although there is still min/maxing to a certain extent. I really wish there was a PvXwiki type site for GW2 like there was for GW1.

Awesome, Thanks guys! Just bought the game, DLing it atm!

I would advice go to the mists first to try out all the classes at max level with max level gear, different weapons and traits before deciding on a class/profession.

Yes,the game is still worth buying

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    pretty much what Fhi said. There are activities to do with guilds and such but nothing as concrete as instanced raiding that you find in a typical mmo.

As far as an Elitist Jerks website, not really. As the others have said, its not that type of game although there is still min/maxing to a certain extent. I really wish there was a PvXwiki type site for GW2 like there was for GW1.
    PvX isn't needed. We have muuuuuuch less skills to choose from than in GW1.

And we have plenty of sites like gw2skills.net to theory build.

It's not a matter of having fewer skills for a PvX-like site to be useful. It's lack of needing to build to purpose in GW2. Guild Wars 2 is narrower than Guild Wars 1 in that regard.

Thus, there is no need to look up an optimized build for farming centaurs in QD as one did for raptors.

It's a matter of sophistication which GW2 lacks.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-07-31 at 02:52 PM.

Yeah, it's something that I really miss from the first game. Probably half of my time playing it was coming up with new builds or testing out builds that I found there on that site.

GW2 is just a different type of game. Nothing wrong with that. But the systems of GW1 are not always gonna be as inherent to the design of GW2 as some folks may like sometimes.

Well I still think they could have offered us a choice in their weapon skills (say a pool of 8 to 10 skills per weapon, and have us choose which 5 we could use).

But I digress, not really on topic to this discussion.

Yes, the game is worth buying even if all you do is just level up a bit.

Even if you don't like the game, it's worth playing just to see how they handle things like crafting, resource gathering, loot, alts, exploration, and events; so you know what to ask the developers of your favorite mmo for.

It takes some getting used to though, if you don't like it at first, try it again in a month or so. Best of all, since it's B2P you don't have to "quit" you can just not play for awhile.

It depends on what you're looking for. If you enjoy casual and gimmicky PvE with lots of ways to make your character look awesome, silly or whatever, GW2 would be quite enjoyable. AN is focusing heavily on the "Living World" content, which are somewhat similar to WoW's seasonal events, except not nearly as repetitive and far more detailed. On the flip-side they do basically nothing to fix some of the glaring issues that plague the game since its release, so if you're looking for quality PvE or PvP you might not find it here.

AN looked cool, then that lion thing shows up and any faith in visual design I may have had in the company melted away.

that lion thing?

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterAsc View Post
    Awesome, Thanks guys! Just bought the game, DLing it atm!
    Make sure to save your Key# in case you need to recover your account at some point.

Deleted
    Game is definitely worth buying. It is one of the most enjoyable MMORPGs on the market atm, and it is FAR from dead/dying. For the price of yet-another-shitty-FPS that you finish in one afternoon and then never touch it again, you get hundreds of hours of enjoyment here, with constant updates going out.
    Just make sure you roll on a high populated server when making your first toon.
    About EJ-style website - try GW2 Guru - especially the PvE section of their forums has lots of class guides and theorycrafting behind them, which I greatly enjoy studying

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Very few MMOs "die" or are "dying". It's an ignorant myth.
    Well. Not the big ones. The little no-name ones go belly up all the time.

And occasionally a bigger one like Star Wars Galaxies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.