Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    After seeing the tiers of most classes i'm really terrified of this.

They will use the most good looking items in cash shop and giving us other crap. Crap i tell ya.
    and that a sub based game using a cash shop is kinda absurd, like how can people let this happen when you should get all content by paying some dollars/euros each month?
    Having Cash Shop and B2P/F2P I am all for it, they have to get money somewhere, but getting freakin 10€~ each month (which isn't little) and start a cash shop is totally out of line imo.
    Now I know where my money would go if I would continue play WoW, ehm no thanks. Have fun spending more money on things that could have been from Raids/ Rare Spawns / Dailies / Challange Modes or what ever it could have been, but i'm not supporting this idea at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    People seem to be forgetting that cosmetics are one of the most major parts of WoW. People devote insane amounts of time towards getting cosmetic things such as Xmog / mounts / pets / titles ect. To make certain content impossible to obtain ingame, is a complete betrayal for a subscription based game.

Screaming rubbish like "Blizzard is a company" doesnt immediately give them a free pass to fuck over their remaining subscibers. Blizzard has been a company for almost 2 decades, WoWs been out for almost 10 years (I think?) and they havent resorted to shady business practises like this. Subscriptions arent their only income, they shouldnt have to extort more money out of their playerbase with 3 overpriced helmets, a 1st year animation student could mock up.

This is America. Of course it does. Didn't you hear? Businesses are people too.

I agree with you though. It seems like the "Blizzard store" gets bigger and bigger as time goes on. I really like the sub model as it was years ago. A true blue subscription game. You pay your sub and everything is potentially available to you. It would be one thing if Blizzard was thinking of transitioning into a F2P model, but from what I'm hearing, that's not the case.

It's nickel and diming honestly. Gaming is fast becoming a huge rip off with all this "premium" content constantly being put in and DLC's. I don't know what world some people are living in, or maybe it's our credit card culture of spending money that you don't have, but the economy in America is hurting, people are underemployed or worse, we have a huge credit card debt culture, and people are defaulting on student loans and house notes at an alarming rate.

Someone else in this thread said they don't want to be reminded of real life... I'm with you. I don't want dollar signs flashed in my face and content gated behind the almighty (dwindling) dollar. I want to pay my sub once a month and play the game, the whole game, in the meantime. The reality of money for most Americans is an ugly oppressive one, adding in more things for people to buy just creates a negative psychological "keeping up with the Joneses" effect. Before you kept up by getting motivated to play the game, but it seems more and more in gaming (not just Blizzard) you keep up by swiping that Visa.

It's disgusting. So what is wrong with it? It's wrong because it's refusing to acknowledge the current cultural climate of economic oppression that a huge number of people in this country are facing right now. And don't tell me "it's optional". Of course it is. But, "Blizzard is a business" and if you believe that Blizzard doesn't have psychological marketing strategies that compel people to make purchases in their stores then you are truly naive.

Either go F2P or stop with the store. A few mounts and a pet for charity was one thing. It's past that. Way past that.

Edit: For the record, I really don't play WoW anymore. I have been playing a lot of Diablo over the past year or so though, and let me tell you, people made the same argument for the Real Money Auction House. "It doesn't affect you. It's optional. Don't use it, scrub!" Well, it pretty much is universally regarded as being a huge cancerous tumor on the game now, even by the devs themselves. Consider that. Saying "IT'S OPTIONAL" is not a justification for something being right or wrong. Just because you can DOESN'T mean you should!
    Last edited by d0e1ow; 2013-08-01 at 07:14 PM.
    Religion isn't the absence of reason. It's merely the presence of faith.
    Heroes of the Storm : all day erryday

Stood in the Fire eldritchforeshadow's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Everything in WOW is earned except for a few pets or mounts on their store and I prefer it this way. A few cosmetic items on the store is fine but I cash shop, no, just no.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Let me just set the record straight for the QQers and whiners about the cash shop.

There is NOTHING unethical, immoral, or wrong about offering extras to people willing to pay. There is no shady business practice going on, no screwing the customers, nothing. Its just your objection and feeling that you need to have everything for free as part of your sub fee. This entitled attitude is what has lead to the downfall of the quality of content the designers have made to make things more accessable to everyone. Your sub fee only entitles you to be able to log in and enter the world. Thats it. Nothing more.
    Well, if that's the case, then the subscription USED to go towards new content, as it was stated back then on their site why there is a monthly fee. When did the monthly fee change exclusively to allow you to log in?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I actually don't mind the Cash Store, as it stands now. It doesn't affect me, nor does it hurt my gameplay. I'm perfectly OK with it, props to Blizzard.
    Last edited by Berraant; 2013-08-01 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Smiley broke.
    A wise saying once said "A wise man builds a foundation from the bricks others have thrown at him."

Quote Originally Posted by Sevvy88 View Post
    This is America. Of course it does. Didn't you hear? Businesses are people too.

I agree with you though. It seems like the "Blizzard store" gets bigger and bigger as time goes on. I really like the sub model as it was years ago. A true blue subscription game. You pay your sub and everything is potentially available to you. It would be one thing if Blizzard was thinking of transitioning into a F2P model, but from what I'm hearing, that's not the case.

It's nickel and diming honestly. Gaming is fast becoming a huge rip off with all this "premium" content constantly being put in and DLC's. I don't know what world some people are living in, or maybe it's our credit card culture of spending money that you don't have, but the economy in America is hurting, people are underemployed or worse, we have a huge credit card debt culture, and people are defaulting on student loans and house notes at an alarming rate.

Someone else in this thread said they don't want to be reminded of real life... I'm with you. I don't want dollar signs flashed in my face and content gated behind the almighty (dwindling) dollar. I want to pay my sub once a month and play the game, the whole game, in the meantime. The reality of money for most Americans is an ugly oppressive one, adding in more things for people to buy just creates a negative psychological "keeping up with the Joneses" effect. Before you kept up by getting motivated to play the game, but it seems more and more in gaming (not just Blizzard) you keep up by swiping that Visa.

It's disgusting. So what is wrong with it? It's wrong because it's refusing to acknowledge the current cultural climate of economic oppression that a huge number of people in this country are facing right now. And don't tell me "it's optional". Of course it is. But, "Blizzard is a business" and if you believe that Blizzard doesn't have psychological marketing strategies that compel people to make purchases in their stores then you are truly naive.

Either go F2P or stop with the store. A few mounts and a pet for charity was one thing. It's past that. Way past that.
    You paying a sub does not entitle you to anything more than access to your account. You can easily experience every aspect of the game without dropping another dime more than the sub. Vanity pets/mounts/etc is NOT new content, it's stuff added on the side IF you want it.

There's no nickle and diming going on, you do NOT have to buy anything.

adding in more things for people to buy just creates a negative psychological "keeping up with the Joneses" effect
    Blizzard using marketing? They must be the only company to do that. They shouldn't restrict what the put up just for the sake that some people have impulse control issues.
    Someone else in this thread said they don't want to be reminded of real life... I'm with you. I don't want dollar signs flashed in my face and content gated behind the almighty (dwindling) dollar.
    Like I said before, you don't have dollar signs flashing in your face.

It's disgusting. So what is wrong with it? It's wrong because it's refusing to acknowledge the current cultural climate of economic oppression that a huge number of people in this country are facing right now. And don't tell me "it's optional". Of course it is.
    Blizzard has a responsibility to manage economic conditions? Even if that were the case, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY IT.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    Well, if that's the case, then the subscription USED to go towards new content, as it was stated back then on their site why there is a monthly fee. When did the monthly fee change exclusively to allow you to log in?
    It's always been like that? You know that big TOS thing that you probably just scrolled to the bottom to? Yea it's been in there the entire time. Also, the reasoning for WHY they have a fee is different than what the fee entitles you to, so you're trying to compare two different things.

As long as there's people with too much money willing to spend it on useless crap like this then it blizzard would have to be pretty silly to not take advantage of it. It's not like they have any integrity left anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Yobtar View Post
    Blizzard is a business, they are not your buddy or a charity, they want to make money.
    /thread

Some of you obviously have never taken a business class. This is the first thing you learn day 1. The purpose of a business is to make profit.

This is the way the world works kiddos.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Let me just set the record straight for the QQers and whiners about the cash shop.

There is NOTHING unethical, immoral, or wrong about offering extras to people willing to pay. There is no shady business practice going on, no screwing the customers, nothing. Its just your objection and feeling that you need to have everything for free as part of your sub fee. This entitled attitude is what has lead to the downfall of the quality of content the designers have made to make things more accessable to everyone. Your sub fee only entitles you to be able to log in and enter the world. Thats it. Nothing more.
    How can something be for free as part of the sub fee?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    For a subscription based game? Everything.

Certain people are being too complacent, allowing Blizzard to do whatever they want. Its completely unacceptable for a sub based game to charge for premium content in the form of micro transactions.

Im completely thrown back by the fact that people are ok with this.

Couldn't agree more. It's at the point where Blizzard can literally do whatever the fuck they want and people will defend them anyway.

There's not a reason in the world other than greed that makes a cash shop even remotely ok in a premium based game.

Quote Originally Posted by Allarius View Post
    You paying a sub does not entitle you to anything more than access to your account. You can easily experience every aspect of the game without dropping another dime more than the sub. Vanity pets/mounts/etc is NOT new content, it's stuff added on the side IF you want it.

There's no nickle and diming going on, you do NOT have to buy anything.

Blizzard using marketing? They must be the only company to do that. They shouldn't restrict what the put up just for the sake that some people have impulse control issues.

Like I said before, you don't have dollar signs flashing in your face.

Blizzard has a responsibility to manage economic conditions? Even if that were the case, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY IT.

- - - Updated - - -

It's always been like that? You know that big TOS thing that you probably just scrolled to the bottom to? Yea it's been in there the entire time. Also, the reasoning for WHY they have a fee is different than what the fee entitles you to, so you're trying to compare two different things.
    No, they don't have a responsibility to manage economic conditions or to not use marketing, but they OUGHT to have a MORAL responsibility to consider how they are making money and treating their subscribers and THAT means taking into consideration the economic status of the country at large.

I'm really not surprised how "American" some of you guys respond to this. Good little capitalists in training.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Here's an idea: Real Money Auction House!

Trolololol

No, they don't have a responsibility to manage economic conditions or to not use marketing, but they OUGHT to have a MORAL responsibility to consider how they are making money and treating their subscribers and THAT means taking into consideration the economic status of the country at large.

I'm really not surprised how "American" some of you guys respond to this. Good little capitalists in training.
    Thats right. See the post above that I quoted. "Blizzard is a business, they are not your friend or a charity."

If you do not agree with their business practices then do not participate. Simple.

Good little capitalists in training.
    Something wrong with being a capitalist? Our country was founded on capitalism..

Quote Originally Posted by Kazi View Post
    Thats right. See the post above that I quoted. "Blizzard is a business, they are not your friend or a charity."

If you do not agree with their business practices then do not participate. Simple.

Something wrong with being a capitalist? Our country was founded on capitalism..
    Everything is wrong with being a capitalist, but alas, that's a thread for another time.

I don't care if "they are a business." "They" are not exempt from being held to a moral standard, at least as far as I'm concerned. Fortunately for most of you, I'm just an angry liberal at my keyboard and this cash shop will go off without a hitch.

You are even more "American", blaming everyone else but themselves for their problems. "It's Blizzards fault that I bought they helm, they didn't force me to but I saw it and had to have it". Blizzard as a business is offering a product, as a consumer you have the option to buy or not buy said product.

You are even more "American", blaming everyone else but themselves for their problems. "It's Blizzards fault that I bought they helm, they didn't force me to but I saw it and had to have it". Blizzard as a business is offering a product, as a consumer you have the option to buy or not buy said product.
    Why as a consumer are you defending a business's decision to essentially charge you extra for the same service and not arguing for greater value for your money?

I didn't buy their helms. Praytell how am I more American?

If you guys must know: I'm moving out of the country next year real talk. I'm getting out. Opting out. Fleeing the country. Jumping ship. Benedict Arnold'ing out. So no, I'm not "American", and sooner than later I won't even be one on paper.

Stop de-railing the thread. Your response isn't related at all to my post, it's just some shitty ad-hominem attack on "WHO IS MORE MURICAN".

It's always been like that? You know that big TOS thing that you probably just scrolled to the bottom to? Yea it's been in there the entire time. Also, the reasoning for WHY they have a fee is different than what the fee entitles you to, so you're trying to compare two different things.[/QUOTE]

http://web.archive.org/web/200110130..._general.shtml

Why isn't World of Warcraft free?
    World of Warcraft will require a fee to play. This fee will be used to support the costs associated with the high-quality levels of service, support, and ongoing content creation that we are planning for World of Warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Why as a consumer are you defending a business's decision to essentially charge you extra for the same service and not arguing for greater value for your money?
    As a consumer I know the difference between essential and optional. I would have a problem if they increased the monthly cost of WoW or increase the box cost of an expansion but when they are sell cosmetic items, I don't mind.

Pray tell what they're doing MORALLY wrong? Adding an optional service is morally wrong now?

This has nothing to do with capitalism, only that you are over-entitled.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    http://web.archive.org/web/200110130..._general.shtml

Why isn't World of Warcraft free?
    World of Warcraft will require a fee to play. This fee will be used to support the costs associated with the high-quality levels of service, support, and ongoing content creation that we are planning for World of Warcraft.[/QUOTE]

I bolded the important part, as you seemed to ignore it the first time.